Thread: Cutting Down Ruger Redhawk .44 Barrel?

Default Cutting Down Ruger Redhawk .44 Barrel?

Where could I take my Ruger Redhawk to have the barrel cut down to 4-5"? I have a 71/2 (maybe its 73/4-I can't remember) and I'd like to look at the possibility of having the barrel shortened rather than buy a new .44. Is this possible? Where could I go locally to inquire to have this done? The gun is in my avatar.

Thanks for the info,

Tim

Default Cutting down Ruger

Tim--It's not local but I was referred through a gun magazine writer. The name of the company is: Ten Ring Precision, 1449 Blue Crest Lane, San Antonio, Texas, 78232

The gun smith is: Alex Hamilton, (210) 494-3063---The writer indicated that he does hand gun articles

Hope this helps
    Robert

Default Ruger

Try calling Ruger and seeing what they can do for you. My dad bought me a blackhawk in .357 from a pawnshop when I was 12. It was a 7.5 inch barrel, which had almost no blueing on it, and lots of surface rust. I think he paid 100 dollars for it. Send it back to Ruger, had the barrel cut down to 4 5/8, reblued, new cylinder, grips, and box all for less than 150 dollars with shipping. Worth a call.

Jake

Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping I could possibly have it resized for far less than buying a new, shorter.44.

Tim

Try Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms. He's a good guy and a good 'smith.

custom work is always expensive.....and with a shop rate of $60.+ (per hour) your dollars will add up quickly. this project will require more work than your revolver is worth. best idea is to trade.

check guns america, online to see the current prices of the short and long barrels........then call around. the long barrel redhawk is more desireable and should trade well.

good luck.
    jh

I'll 2nd Steve. I have a Ruger Blackhawk that he shortened for the previous owner. Although they get mixed reviews another possibility would be Wild West Guns, but I'd definetly try Steve 1st.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Got a hack saw? What about some files, sandpaper, a machinist square and an old ball from a computer mouse?

If so, this aint exactly rocket science to shorten a barrel by hand. All it takes is an attention to detail, common sense and some patients. I have done several myself with excellent results that look just like a factory job. If you consider your time as money, they you will not come out ahead on this kind of do it yourself thing, but if you are willing to put in your time and save the cash it can be done for very minimal expense.

The only thing that I pay to have done is the drilling and tapping of front sight screws. That will probably run you about $60.

Give it a try, you really have nothing to lose, because if you don’t like your results, you can always take it to your smith, like Steve or Andy or whoever and they will pull the barrel and recrown it on a lathe for you.

Of course this is all predicated on the idea that you are the kind of guy who likes to work with his hands and is familiar with the rudimentary aspects of working with files and saws and such.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio