Thread: 6x6 chain oiling

Default 6x6 chain oiling

Ok guys, do you oil the chains on your polaris 6x6 & how do you do it?
    I have a 32oz oilcan pump type oiler w/ 1/4" plastic tubing going down to the chains. It still needs to be refined some for proper distribution. Thanks

So are you saying you have an "oiler" like on a chainsaw? I don't have anything that actively oils while I'm riding, I simply hit it with some industrial chain lube a few times during the year (on a warm chain).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I had a chain drive 400L. It had O-ring chains on it and did not need to be oiled. I still hit it spring and fall with foaming chain lube to keep a bit of the surface rust down.

Default M-Trailman

Actually Polaris does recommend that the chain drive needs oiled even if the chain has the rubber O rings. I just tilt my bed up and roll the rig as I spray a good chain lube on it. Note your back chain is longer and you have to roll a little farther to get all the way around it. I do it every time I take it out.

Default After every ride

Still running the original chain's after 1500 miles and all I do is lube it after every ride with Amsoil's spray chain lubricant. The stuff dries on and leaves a waxy film that does not attract dust or hold dirt.

Default Foaming chain lube

is what I use also. I am not sure how hard people use their machines, but what is the recommended "swap" out of chains? I use my 6x6 hard and broke my chain at 1700 miles. I figure if I get 1500 anymore, the chain is getting swapped out. I ended up breaking mine 30 miles off road. I now carry an extra main drive chain with me.

Default 6x6 chain oiling

has any one looked at a Scott oiler? Its for oiling the chains of long distance motorcycle racing like the paris to dakar rally with out stopping & the speed of the chain/sprockets flings the dirt & mud off & lubes the chain at the sama time thus helping to slow down the chain wear.