Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 8 Roosevelt Hunt Photos and story

Default Unit 8 Roosevelt Hunt Photos and story

My partner and I left from Kodiak in 15 Achilles inflatable raft wearing survival suits. We took an EPIRB, flare pistol and a marine/avaition radio with us for safety. Took 2 hours in relatively calm seas to get to our hunting spot. Saw several elk on the distant hill right at night. Set tents up and dragged the boat for 45 minutes above the high tide line. Lucky for us we arrived at dead low tide! Got up the next morning and saw a nice fresh set of bear tracks right near the tents. Saw him up on the hill side later, nice dark chocolate bear. Located a few loner elk across the canyon we were hiking up but impossible to sneak on. Continued up the canyon and heard a bull bugle. Located the herd and sneaked down in on them. Watched the herd bull bugle and chase a few satellite bull out of herd. Could not get any closer, too many eyes and vegetation to loud and not quite tall enough. Took a 300 yard shot with my .338 win mag with a 4X scope and missed. The herd bunched up and did not know where the shot came from. After a few minutes the herd bull got pissed off and started running sattelite bulls back out of the herd. While he was running these other bull out away from the cows he left himself wide open for another shot and I dropped him. The herd still did not know wher the shot came from and started walking towards us. As I was celebrating my hunting partner noticed the bull getting back up. I shot again and missed and my partner told me to hold on he was walking right towards us. I waited until he was 150 yards and drilled him right between the eyes. He was walking with his head down right towards us. He reared back and dropped. The herd continued right towards us and filed one by on at about 70 yards. There were 12 other bulls and 25 or so cows. There were a few 5X5's some rags and spikes. Most of the elks head gear were busted up pretty good. One 5 point had a horn broke off above his second point. They were not in a real hurry to get out of there. After they all walked by we went down to the big bull. He was laying there with his eyes closed not moving and I grabbed his left horn. All of a sudden his eyes opened and stood up and I thought he was after me. I ran like a little sissy girl. My partner had my rifle and was standing there laughing at me. He said he wish he had a video camera. He fell right back over and put two more rounds in to his neck for good measure. After I checked my pants we celebrated and came to the realization that the work has now begun on this huge animal. We quatered him out and put all the meat on a tarp away from the kill site just in case a bear came over for a look. Luckily enough one did not. We boned out the quarters and skinned the head and took off the bottom jaw to reduce as much weight as possible. It took 2 of us two trips a peice to get 333 pounds of meat and the head 2 miles to the beach. Since the weather was still nice we went back to camp, broke every thing down and threw it in dry bags loaded the boat and went and picked up the meat. We dawned our survival suits again and headed back to Kodiak. We saw humbacks and hundreds of sea otters. It was a a good ride back. We hid a rock and did not mess up the motor too bad and got a hole in one pontoon from a buckle chafing while holding down gear. We limped back to Kodiak all in one peice though. We were gone 26 hours truck to truck on the hunt. We saw a few shooter Blacktail deer but did not want to get stuck in bad weather in our little boat. I want to tank my partner and the Coast Guard in Kodiak for patrolling the waters and Air of Unit 8 and knowing that if you do need help they are well trained and are there for you if you do get into dire straits!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default a few more photos

A few more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default nice

That was a great story and sounds like a great hunt. I would love to hunt those animals one of these years.
    Big daddy

Sounds like you guys had a good time . I do not think the trip inbetween the islands would be good for me , I'll leave that type of water travel to guys like you.
    I have not hunted or had any elk since I left Oregon, that meat is my wifes favorite.
    Great sory .Thanks for sharing and neat pictures to boot.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Next week!

Now I'm really excited. Great story and photos Dienqvrs!

My buddy and I have partner permits for elk in E. Afognak and we're outta here on Tuesday. Hope we have the good fortune you had...

jim

The bull, photos and story behind it are quite impressive. Congratulations on such a fine hunt, you and your partner are to be commended for your effort.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I want to tank my partner and the Coast Guard in Kodiak for patrolling the waters and Air of Unit 8 and knowing that if you do need help they are well trained and are there for you if you do get into dire straits!
    And running from Kodiak to Afognak/Raspberry and back in a 15' Achilles with an elk and camp is a good way to try and employ the services of the USCG.

congrats on a beautiful hunt.I enjoyed the story,man that was cool.Thanks for sharing that dude.Daniel

Default That's Bad Ass!

I have done some extreme hunting...for Dall sheep in the brooks.... Moose hunting in competition with a hungry grzzley But this hunt you guys did sounds super bad ass! The elk was phenominal! I really would like to do a hunt like this one. If you have any tips on doing a hunt in Unit 8 I would love some advice. I would like to plan one for Afognak but I am not sure of the private lands issue or the logistics going from Kodiak to Afognak. ----

Congradulations! Nice Elk!

Default Nice ELK...

Great Pic, know I am real syked about the Elk in 8 will be leaving on the 12th for my 1st fly out. Again great pic hope I see one that size.
    By the way it looked like the rut was still going on was told it would be over by now.

Talking

Congrast on an awesome trophy. Sounds like you boys worked for him. I think I would have crapped myself to if that big boy looked at me after a head shot!

Default Not much more to say

That is a great story and we all appreciate you sharing it with us. The only problem with your hunt is that it was over way to fast. That is a beautiful bull you took, congrats

Thumbs up Nice

Great story, great pics, what an adventure!

Congratulations!

Thumbs up Nice Elk!

Beautiful bull!

Wish that I could have been there with you!
    DJ

Default elk

Say, how did you know the elk were out there? And are you sure the one that stood back up was the same animal?

Great post. Congratulations on your bull.
    Very nice rack on him.

Taylor

Default nice

grats, cool story, and thanks for sharing...

but i tend to believe you made it sound much easier than it was... pretty daring to make that trip accross that water (and this coming from a fool with 5 inflatables)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Say, how did you know the elk were out there? And are you sure the one that stood back up was the same animal?
    What are you asking? It was the biggest bull by far and I watched him Bugle, breed cows and chase sattelite bulls for 15 -20 minutes. Not hard to figure out who is boss!

It was not that easy but fun! Your bum gets tight crossing big stretches of water in a little raft, and the crazy currents in that part of the islands are fun too.

Default Inflatables

I'd consider an inflatable with sufficient volume and power to be a great craft for hauling gear to distant hunting locations. Its not gonna sink on ya unless someone goes after it with a knife. Get geared up with the proper hypothermia protection gear and get-er-done. Think Navy Seals........

Sweet bull! I did a elk hunt on Etolin without success this year with my bow. I climbed and climbed and climbed some more and just couldn't corner one before the motivation slacked.

I'm motivated for another go at an Alaskan Elk. Thanks for keeping the juices flowing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast