Thread: DNR land best location for hunting cabin

Default DNR land best location for hunting cabin

Looking at DNR land near Glenallen, Tok, near Elliot Hwy,Talkeetna and Circle, for the purposes of building a hunting getaway cabin, Which area would give the most options for hunting ie proximity to access of public lands, variety of big game species, liberal bag limits. Thanks any info would be helpful.
    Last edited by mwalker; 10-04-2008 at 11:57. Reason: brevity

I don't know where you can put a cabin. Put it whereever you want I guess.

Unless you and your family have hunted the area for the last 5 or 10 generations don't put it on any land that is Tier II.
    Chuck

i'm thinking the same thing ... but probably farther out then you as I live in Glennallen..... there are a lot of orange posted signs along the road just outside town here .. and we all know what that means...

Looking at buying or squatting?

Default question your replies

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    i'm thinking the same thing ... but probably farther out then you as I live in Glennallen..... there are a lot of orange posted signs along the road just outside town here .. and we all know what that means...
    What is tier II? and what do the orange signs mean? as I am looking to buy not squat a DNR over the counter parcel some of the areas are near Tok, Glenallen, talkeetna, copper center, circle. I have the resources to permanetly move to the area if I chose hunt a few years before the body wears out. Don't want to place the cabin 600 miles away from good public access lands. For example in Tok area there is the Tetlin area. I figure the squatting not a good idea as the guvmn't will throw you out unless you have trappers license etc. mining claim is one angle to look at but I don't want to drive 1,200 miles round trip every time I want to hunt.

I reccommend looking into the federal subsistance regulations. They seem to be a little more focused on where you live rather than your family history like the state subsistance program.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    What is tier II? and what do the orange signs mean? as I am looking to buy not squat a DNR over the counter parcel some of the areas are near Tok, Glenallen, talkeetna, copper center, circle.
    Subsistance is the way to go around here... theres plenty of land for it and tons of "meat and game" had a moose walk through the yard yesterday and last night walked into a bedding area for a bunch of 'em (neighbors unused yard) The orange posted signs are native designated land.. but subsistance land is clearly marked and highly advantagous to getting food on the table. I have taken 3 trips to fairbanks in 2 months and have seen(almost run into) a herd of large caribou every time (just last weekend was the last).

Default thanks

yeah I can see subsistence license / tag is the way to go, just want to locate my cabin in the right area. Tok, glenallen copper center, talkeetna, circle not sure?? wanna get close highway access to most options on public lands. But I guess as you say there is plenty of places to hunt so maybe it doesn't matter. Yes I am aware of the availability of game.
    We just came back from a 3 week road trip / camping all over the interior, we saw boookoooo moose and bears, heck they were a road hazard ha.
    I feel sorry for these guys I read about that pay 10k for a fly in moose hunt and don't even see anything. Geez just walk along the road north of Homer they'll run you over ha. saw a brown bear North of Seward cross the road it was about the size of my daughters toyota yarus car!! oh we forgot to mention the salmon