Thread: Montague

Default Montague

Just curious if anyone is willing to share a little info. on same-daying montague for deer. Have never personally ventured out that far and thought it may be a good idea to give it a try if a weather-less weekend shows its face. As is always the case im not looking for anyones secret landing areas, just some pointers someone may be able to pm me as a good place to start. It was a rough year in the moose department and would like to put some meat in the freezer. Thanks

There is a little strip just south of Johnston Point VOR called Shelter Bay. It is located within walking distance of a Forest Service cabin. Nice camping besides the Plane. Water within walking distance near the cabin (creek). Check the tides as at very hight tides part of the strip may be flooded. You can reach Juneau FSS on the Johnston Point VOR on ground to close/file flight plan and check on the weather. On Google earth you see the tracks and direction of the strip. It is about 1000 ft long turf/gravel.

6025'43.30"N / 14639'36.91"W

Ive been wondering the same things about Montague. Ive never been out there, but have been looking on Google Earth for suitable places to land/camp.

I saw a yellow cub(?) on a beach near the south end of Montague that looked like a possibility, depending on tides. N 59 52' 22" W 147 48' 32"

Any others ?

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

It takes about an hour to get there from Eagle River in a PA-12. If the Cordova tide calls for 14' the water will be in the grass in Patton Bay. Lots of places to land, not many places to leave the plane over night. Lots of airplane carcasses... be careful.

JB

Default Flying Montague 30 years

One of south centrals best kept secerts, hunting Montague Island. Need to be able to size up a beach, not all beaches are safe. Try Log Jam Lake beach, land and always taxi carefully and not with small tires. To the North Patton Beach has loose sand on the south side of the river beach, common wreck site. Also around to the south of Log Jam 4 miles is a long 5 mile beach, my surfing spot with the kids. Other beaches like Strike Creek look good but the rocks eat up 8.50 x 6 tires, tricky. Do not plan to spend the night unless you know for sure there is good weather, fog common in the fall, carb ice, rain and poor vis on the way home. Safe bet is to fly to Seward and the shoreline east. Lots of great spots, lots of deer for those who will work at it. Be Safe
    LB

Smile Thanks

Hey guys, Thank you very much for all of the replys. I apprciate it very much.

flyboyalaska...thanks for all of the heads up, that is great stuff to know. Any information i can get to make good decisions is worth its weight in gold.

Default Beach River

I used to land Cessna 185s and 180s above the high tide line at Beach River a few miles north of Patton Bay. The '64 earthquake raised the south end of Montague Island about 36 feet and the area that I refer to used to be tidal. It has been more than 25 years since I last landed there, but there is still a forest service cabin at Beach River.

The landing area is gravel and sand and can be really soft after a heavy rain, but it is a place on the gulf side of Montague where you could park your plane overnight without having to worry about the tide. You cannot taxi from the tidal area to that area due to the river outlet and rough terrain between the two areas.

Take a look at http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/cab...river_map.html for more information. To find out straight from the horses mouth what the conditions of the above-tideline landing area is like, call Cordova Air Service in Cordova. Talk to a pilot.

In the forest service website (URL above) they say land at low tide. That would be on the beach. In all the times that I flew to Beach River, I never landed on the beach, but landed above the beach on the pre-earthquake tidal area. It is probably still doable, although at this time of year, December, the weather can become so bad that it is impossible to fly. I flew in there one time from Cordova with a couple of hunters in really foul weather. When we arrived, 4 men came running out of the woods and begged me to take them anywhere. They had been stuck there for two weeks waiting for Harbor Air out of Seward to pick them up. The weather had been so bad that it hadn't been possible to get there from Seward, and it was no picnic coming from Cordova.

The landing area was so soft that I was able to take only one man and no gear, and that was marginal. So a word to the wise, before you decide on Beach River, find out what the weather has been doing in that area for the previous couple of weeks. If it has been relatively free of rain, then it's probably OK. Talk to Cordova Air.

Default Info

Great post guy's, might try going there next summer to check it out. Like to land with good weather and visibility at leat once to know the lay of the land. Sometimes I also take pic's to refresh my memory.

Terry

Monguse and others-

The Beach River beach is huge and solid at low tide. The cabin is on Forest Service land that totals about 40 acres. Everything else around that is owned by Chugach Native Corp. Contact Dave Phillips dphillips@chugach-ak.com for information regarding permits to hunt the land.

Since you have been there last Monguse the area has been logged over. The deer hunting is still excellent though. The area you talk about landing on was converted to an airstrip during the logging I believe. It is now mostly grown over, but I have heard of cubs getting in there.

Cabin reservations are tough for this cabin so try early.

Here's another thread on the same subject http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=26276

Default Thanks

Akdoug
    Thanks for the update on Beach River and for the other thread...good information.