Thread: visiting my son in the military need help

Default visiting my son in the military need help

Good morning,
    My son is stationed at Fort Richardson and I'm planning a trip to surprise hime before his deployment to Afghanistan. I'll be arriving in Anchorage on Oct. 15th 2008 and leaving on the 22nd. Any ideas for fishing, clamming ... would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be interested in tagging along on a moose hunt. We'll probably focus most of our time @ Kenai. I know it's off season but it was the only time he has available. Thanks in advance for any help, ideas.

Too bad you couldn't get up there earlier in the summer but I understand sometimes it just can't happen. I was in the Stryker brigade up @ Wainwright for 4 1/2 years and had to make do sometimes myself. You are right about the off-season however there are still some opportunities for some fishing in Oct. The Kenai can still be fished for 'Bows and Varden. If you can make it to the Delta Clearwater you should still have some good silver salmon action but you will definitely need some good insulated chest waders because the water will be freezing cold. Ask around this forum for some charters also. I took a charter out of Homer in March and had a great time catching both kings and halibut. Wouldn't have ben able to get one though had I not asked around on this forum. The fellas on here are awesome about giving out contacts. As far as moose goes I believe the season normally ends around the 15th of September in most game management areas unless you have a drew a special hunt. Caribou should be open but that would be a LONG drive up the Dalton. Anyhow best of luck to both of you and I hope your son has a safe deployment to Afghanistan.

Default Sent PM Airbornedad

With an idea, Sapper's right there is still some fun to be had, just floated the Upper Kenai didn't catch any fish but didn't try very hard. Hope I'm headed to Whittier soon, always a fun trip!

There are still some quality fish to be caught on the upper kenai. I find that the later it gets you trade quanity for quality on the upper kenai. Id suggest giving troutfitters a call. Billy and dusty can put you on some nice fish. Ill be back down on the river again next week myself
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by airbornedad View Post
    Good morning,
    My son is stationed at Fort Richardson and I'm planning a trip to surprise hime before his deployment to Afghanistan. I'll be arriving in Anchorage on Oct. 15th 2008 and leaving on the 22nd. Any ideas for fishing, clamming ... would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be interested in tagging along on a moose hunt. We'll probably focus most of our time @ Kenai. I know it's off season but it was the only time he has available. Thanks in advance for any help, ideas.
    First off, let me say your surprise trip is an awesome idea. Your son will be so happy to see you before he deploys. A fishing trip with family will be a great way to have a little piece and quiet before his deployment. It will give him some good memories to think about when he gets lonely over there. Take some pictures so he has something to take with him.

As far as the fishing goes...Rainbow trout on the Kenai would probably be your best bet for a few reasons...

1. Trout fishing is good on the Kenai...look for a reputable guide to make the most out of your trip.
    2. The Kenai is easy to get to from Anchorage (less than a 3 hour scenic drive).
    3. By going to the Kenai, you will spend more time fishing and less time traveling.
    4. A guided trip on the Kenai is cheap compared to a "fly out" trip somewhere else in the state.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your son!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Kenai

I too would say go to the Kenai. I just got back from fishing there this past weekend and all I can say is it was smoking. I went out with Troutfitters on Saturday and we caught hogs all day, both Rainbows and Dolly's. There are Silvers in there as well, so you could get some table fare if you wanted. That's a great idea of yours to come visit your son before he deploys, you'll both love it.

Default Hey snow

Im heading down for 1 more run this weekend. I was there for 2 weeks in mid september and did well. Not looking for any secrets but what got the best bite. leeches, flesh. Just looking to get on track early as i have a friend coming up and he has 1 day to fish. He is gonna freeze his cookies off but a few fish will help the cause. He is usually here mid september also but could not get up here then this year. any help is much appreciated
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default hm

i think i might make a trip down there too then chuck. ill bring my cat...since i just winterized my drift boat and put it up! i was debating on going out the valley to hit some lakes and pull some bows trolling. havent decided yet. but if i roll south ill give you a shout!

The Kenai is where it's at right now. Also Steelhead you can go to Anchor River.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Been out on the Kenai for the past several weeks. Silver fishing is slowing way down with mostly dark fish now but still some fresh fish but getting harder and harder to find them. Trout fishing was smoking until about last Monday. Slowed down some but still good if you had not seen how awesme it was on Monday. Still a bead bite. Changes a little every few days. One day a mill and the next it is better to use a size 8. Wouldn't be suprised if it was a flesh bite by this weekend. Raining hard here. Probably will not effect the Kenai but I would check the water graph of the Anchor before driving down thataway. Looked a few minutes ago and the Anchor was over flood stage but it can drop quickly with this late season weather.
    Fished the mid section of the Kenai from Skilak down to Bings. Best fishing was everywhere but noticed that in the last few days the fish seemed to have moved up from about the Upper Killey to a mile or so above that. Hope that helps some.