Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Allergies?

Arrow Food Allergies?

Can anyone post some good, hearty Alaskan recipes.
    I have a son that has recently been diagnosed with serious allergies.

Gluten-Free
    Let's start with gluten-free recipes, first. If you have breads that are made without wheat products including spelt and rye, that would be fantastic. My poor little guy needs bread for his lunch box!

Here is the run down. I'll replace anything that you send over with other items that I can come up with... just as long as we stick with the gluten-free focus is good by me.
    The kiddo is allergic to:
    All wheat products, rye, and spelt
    All milk and dairy products
    Eggs, white and yolks
    Garlic (sadly... yes... allergic to garlic!!)
    Additives and Preservatives
    Any kind of food coloring... allergic

Thank goodness I started a garden this year and this next year, it's going to be an even bigger garden just for my son!

Thanks in advanced!!!
    I am ready for your recipes. Send them over if you have any because I am in dire need for them now!

~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Check out the Natural Pantry website. They have recipes, etc of all types of foods. Even have shipment options to have things delivered. But beware. Never realized a loaf of Gluten free bread is about 5.00. Ouch. Good luck
    http://www.natural-pantry.com

I found more than a few Internet sites with recipes that might work for your son (and you). Take a look; there are lots more too. I see that many do use eggs so your will have to do some substituting and playing around to get things to work. Seems to me there is something else I used to use way back when that was powdered egg substitute, but can’t remember what it was.

My son has a friend who has many food allergies and I know he made a lot of yummy things for her from rice and potato flour. I will have to ask him more about it. I do know that quite often the non-wheat flours you buy at the local store have been ground in the same mill as they grind the wheat so there is trace amounts of other stuff in there and that can be deadly to those most allergic. So be picky on your flours and maybe go organic, or go to a “real” health food store (Do we even have one in Fairbanks anymore?). Might be some options online to purchase stuff like that. Also, you might want to consider a grain grinder. We have a hand turned one, but I am sure there are electric too. That way you can be 100% sure that your fresh flour is whatever grain you are grinding and nothing else

I also have a friend who is a local herbalist and only eats organic and natural products so I will check with her and ask for suggestions and where she buys her stuff.

I’ll get back to you with more info as soon as I have it…until then here are just a few sites to check out with recipes. Hope this helps!

http://www.wheat-free.org/recipes-breads.html

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/wheatfree/#breads

http://www.recipenet.org/health/wf_c...ast_breads.htm

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...FQJvswodkxiHEw
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thank you both SOOOOO much for this advice!
    I feel like I have had my round of gluten-free education in the last couple of days/weeks!
    I am going to take the opportunity to check out each and every one of these websites because I need them!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Lurker.

$170.00 later, I think that I am ready to take on this diet!
    So... recipes if what I am after.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    I found more than a few Internet sites with recipes that might work for your son (and you). Take a look; there are lots more too. I see that many do use eggs so your will have to do some substituting and playing around to get things to work. Seems to me there is something else I used to use way back when that was powdered egg substitute, but can’t remember what it was.

My son has a friend who has many food allergies and I know he made a lot of yummy things for her from rice and potato flour. I will have to ask him more about it. I do know that quite often the non-wheat flours you buy at the local store have been ground in the same mill as they grind the wheat so there is trace amounts of other stuff in there and that can be deadly to those most allergic. So be picky on your flours and maybe go organic, or go to a “real” health food store (Do we even have one in Fairbanks anymore?). Might be some options online to purchase stuff like that. Also, you might want to consider a grain grinder. We have a hand turned one, but I am sure there are electric too. That way you can be 100% sure that your fresh flour is whatever grain you are grinding and nothing else

I also have a friend who is a local herbalist and only eats organic and natural products so I will check with her and ask for suggestions and where she buys her stuff.

I’ll get back to you with more info as soon as I have it…until then here are just a few sites to check out with recipes. Hope this helps!

http://www.wheat-free.org/recipes-breads.html

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/wheatfree/#breads

http://www.recipenet.org/health/wf_c...ast_breads.htm

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...FQJvswodkxiHEw
    Alaska Grandma,
    I am sorry that I didn't receive your message. I keep my inbox full to alleviate interesting messages that I get along the way. You can feel free to email me directly through the Outdoors Directory.

Also... with both yours and Wldboar's advice, I have been able to make my very first loaf of wheat, egg, and lactose free bread and it actually tastes pretty good!
    Thanks for the websites! They are going to help tremendously!

~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

COto AK your on the right track as a hunter to begin with... I have 4 daughters and 2 steps sons, well two of my girls started "GROWING" early... turns out they were being effected by the meat we purchased in the store.

did you know that a bag of chicken legs.... are only 3.5-4 week old before they were put in the bag... Chicken,pork, beef, is PUMPED full of hormones like estrogen to make it grow faster and be more cost productive .

many of our grains and veggies are now being messed with to make thing grow better... I cant garden to save my life so i am stuck on that side... but I don't have to buy meat. we eat at least 2 moose a year combined with at least 2 bears ( 3 this year) and a few caribou... not to mention salmon etc.... grouse and hare replace chicken when we run out of the one we grew...

every other year or so i buy a wiener hog and raise one or two.. one will be ground with the first moose.

all in all it is a lot of time hunting.. and processing.. people look at me strangely when i tell them 38 moose in 17 years.... ( i am not only hunter in house) the one thing about it ...

my girls are now on a NORMAL growth rate. a father should not have to purchase support garments for 5 and 6 year olds
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

COtoAK

My son - 6 months old - was diagnosed with a number of allergies a week ago. Michelle and I are spinning round and round on this thing. Frustrating to say the least. Tried to drop you a PM but you're full. Drop me a line. We should chat about it all.

jmg
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    COtoAK Tried to drop you a PM but you're full. Drop me a line.
    jmg
    Ya I tried to drop you a PM too...

My friend, who is a local herbalist, suggested this site to order organic and natural foods, flours, grains and more. I see it also has egg replacers for baking (ya that was the very one I couldn't remember in my previous post) and options for dairy free milk and cheeses.

Looks like a good site. If you need any more info on ordering or want to make a group order let me know and I can try to connect you with my friend since I know she orders a lot of stuff from there.

http://www.azurestandard.com/

Hope this might help
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Stirfry

My Dad has celiac disease and so I have worked to find some things I can make for him when he comes over for dinner. Variations of stir-fry work well. And any extra rice becomes fried rice at a later meal.

Here's my latest one - I am really pleased with it and it has been popular with our visitors - both kids and adults.

Orange-Ginger Stirfry

Ingredients:
    · Sesame or peanut oil
    · Olive or other high temp cooking oil
    · diced meat – stirfry sized. Chicken, moose, fish – all works good.
    · One small to medium onion diced. I like the sweet onions, but regular yellow or white work well too.
    · Fresh ginger - small julienne. 1/2 to 1 1/2 tblsp - to taste
    · Frozen orange juice concentrate (works better than a fresh orange)
    · Sesame seeds or Chopped Peanuts – optional. To top dish at the end.
    · Fresh veggies. For my husband and I , I cut 3-5 cups of veggies. I like to cut them small, but that is just preference. Example veggies:
    o Broccoli
    o Savoy cabbage (this did REALLY well in my garden this year)
    o Mushrooms
    o Peas (I find that frozen work just as well)
    o Green beans (frozen okay)
    o Peppers
    o Carrots!!
    o Celery
    o Asparagus

Method: Timing is going to depend on the heat in your pan - times may vary.
    1. Heat oil in your pan. A few drops of your sesame or peanut oil with a couple of tblsp of your other oil.
    2. Throw in your meat with a little salt and pepper and cook until just barely cooked.
    3. Set meat aside.
    4. repeat #1. a little less oil if there is still oil in your pan.
    5. Throw in your onions and ginger. Cook until the onions start to get translucent.
    6. Throw in your harder veggies. Carrots, Broccoli stems, celery, mushrooms, etc…
    7. Add orange juice concentrate. Still frozen is okay. Don’t go nuts on this – makes it too sweet/sticky/soupy if you do. For my husband and I, 2-3 tblspn works well. Add it gradually if you go with more. As it melts, use it to deglaze your pan and get any toasted bits off the bottom.
    8. By the time you are done deglazing, it is about time to throw in your medium veggies. Cabbage, beans, peppers, asparagus stalks, etc…
    9. When the medium veggies are warm and just starting to cook, add the meat back in.
    10. In about 2-4 minutes, it is almost done. I like to add my softest veggies with about 1 minute to go. Peas (frozen or not) , asparagus tops, etc…
    11. When it is done, serve over rice.

Pretty darn good.

This is pretty exciting to see all of these suggestions. Thank you ALL so much.
    I am sorry about the PM thing. Even now, my box is 98% full. I have to either write down or add to my cell phone addresses and phone numbers I have collected over the last few years to be able to dump some of those PMs.

JMG,
    I am still very sorry to hear about what you and the wife are going, though. Hang in there. Before you know it, she will find a set of recipes that she enjoys and ones that she can share with the baby once he gets old enough to start eating solids. Thank goodness for rice, eh?

Alaska Grandma,
    Thank you, too, for your site recommendations. It has definitely helped us out tremendously.

grcg,
    Thank you for your post as well. How did you all do it with your dad having celiac disease? Can you give me a brief outline and educate me on what exactly it is. People have questioned whether or not my son has this and although I don't think that he does, he could very well have it.
    I am going to absolutely take your suggestions into consideration. I have never even considered sesame seed oils.

Vince,
    Thank for telling me, too, about the hormones and what's pumped into chicken. I knew that from before and this year we had originally considered having a coop, but we learned that Alaska Feed had an order that came in where 800 out of 1000 chickens had died in the transition from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
    We are still looking into the possibility of having a coop of at least 50 for next summer.

The Garden:
    Also... the start of the garden might come sooner than later this year. I am ready to rock and roll on it, now. We are highly considering putting it all together inside of our shop and once all the snow melts again, we will transfer our greenhouse outside to it's location and set it. We have also decided that we will go ahead and heat the garden with heat from our wood boiler system so that we can have fresh fruit and vegis year round. We are going to need this for him because all he can have is fresh now. He can have any chemicals (preservatives, additives, and pesticides) whatsoever.

We have started the process of treating him for eggs, though.
    This next round we are starting the process of treating him for lactose and dairy products.
    Thank goodness for our Natural-Path Dr. in Fairbanks because if it weren't for her, I would absolutely be LOST!
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Vince,
    Thank for telling me, too, about the hormones and what's pumped into chicken. I knew that from before and this year we had originally considered having a coop, but we learned that Alaska Feed had an order that came in where 800 out of 1000 chickens had died in the transition from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
    We are still looking into the possibility of having a coop of at least 50 for next summer.

!

COtoAK..... when your ready.. i will hook you up with on line orders... i don't order form AK feed or any feed store in AK...

they receive to many at once and are all way to busy.. shipping Lil birds is frustrating and the post office don't always do as the should...

by ordering direct from the hatchery you have a live chick gurentee...

my favorite for is also many of the commercial hatcheries. such as Murry mcmurry

also.... one thing i have found that reduces cost and shipping head aches.... i get a few folk toghter that want chicks.... and order a few hundred.

good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Oh, thank goodness.
    Thanks for posting this. I am definitely going to look into ordering chickens for this next year. You have NO idea how much I absolutely appreciate it!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Vince (and others)

Regarding hormones in chicken, if you read the package on chicken at the store, it says that federal law prohibits using hormones in chicken. I've heard of chicken hormone theoretically causing problems in kids, especially young girls. But it seems maybe it wasn't the hormones after all? I don't know. I always assumed that chicken had hormones until we recently saw this on a package at the store. Here is a little blurb I found on it that also discusses antibiotics in chicken. Not sure what to make of it all at this point.

http://whattoeatbook.com/2007/06/20/...-free-chicken/

Thoughts?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default a little bit more ....

Hi again.

Celiac disease is a problem with wheat in general…not just the gluten. I am really not bio-medically inclined, so I don’t think you want me to try to explain. But the outcome is the similar, as the doctor advises you not to eat things with wheat and to read labels. I don't feed my Dad all the time, so I don't have a ton of things to share. I just have a couple of recipes I have worked out.

Using nuts to replace flour in some things is one that is turning out to be pretty successful.

Combinations of nuts and butter and sugar has lead me down several paths of experimentation. Varying the type of nut, type of sugar, and spices you add (or don’t) gives you a wide range of flavors and textures to play with.

Because of all this experimentation, I now make a mean nut piecrust. That took a bit of trial and error, because I started with online nut crust recipes, a lot of which have flour. And you really have to consider your filling. I was trying to be thrifty and made several crusts ahead of time. Then I ended up putting a Chocolate pudding filling in one, and it tasted really funky with the cinnamon I had put into the crust. For my pumpkin chiffon pie for the holidays I make a pecan/brown sugar/cinnamon crust that I have to say is really good. Crushed almonds and vanilla makes a good crust for many things. I did a macadamia and coconut crust for a banana pudding pie. I like it better than vanilla wafers personally.

I made these bars with a nut/oatmeal(Bob’s)/brown sugar/butter layer on the bottom (kind of a thick version of the crust.), and a layer of jam (I have used apricot or orange marmalade.) on top (spread on for the last 10 min of cooking). They were a big hit – chewy and crunchy and fruity. Use of oats is controversial on the Celiac websites. Dad eats some, and just tries not to eat too much.

And of course fruit crisps are great. Nuts/sugar/butter (a little less butter than for a crust) stirred together and crumble on top of a fruit/sugar mixture. Made a rhubarb/apple one a couple of weeks ago.

I made meringues for Dad, and they were good. but the recipe made A LOT and we just didn’t need that many of them.

I will try to think of other things we have done and share.

I'll make the assumption, then, that my son does in fact have that celiac disease.
    He is allergic specficially to:
    Rye
    Barley
    Spelt
    Wheat Gluten
    Wheat Gliadin
    Whole Wheat

I am going to highly consider your advice on the pie crust(s). We need something for this poor little guy.

We have already started egg treatment(s).
    The doctor said that he has quite the immune system and he's strong.
    Hopefully having both of these in place will allow for him to be able to have more to eat.

It's heartbreaking as a mom hearing him ask if he can have Halloween candy when he absolutely can not and to hear that all the other kids get to have regular bread that he can no longer have. We have spent days and nights having breakdowns and tears (even at Starbucks the other night... he lost it because he couldn't have anything there).
    I just remind him that he's special and that we get to make special food for him because his body can't handle what other kids can handle for the time being. It's working for now. He likes that he can tell his brother and sister no to the foods that belong to him. We have a place in the pantry for ONLY his food as well as a place in the fridge that has his own soy/goat milk, his own butter, his own soda that he can drink, along with anything he wants on the shelf.

(smiles and sigh)

If it's not one thing, it's another. It's just encouraging to hear that we are not going through this alone. I am considering doing this diet with him so that he knows that he doesn't have to do this by himself in our house. I offered, but he hasn't answered. Maybe I'll just do it.
    He's 8 and he's already lost 9lbs because of the diet. We had to buy him new jeans because of it. Size 10 'skinny'.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    I am sorry about the PM thing. Even now, my box is 98% full. I have to either write down or add to my cell phone addresses and phone numbers I have collected over the last few years to be able to dump some of those PMs.
    Kimberly - In case you weren't aware, you can download your PMs as XML, CSV, or Text files. Scroll to the bottom of your inbox and click on the appropriate link depending on how you want them saved. That way you won't lose your necessary PMs but you won't have to spend hours putting info into your phone either.

Default not an expert

...I would definitely talk to the Doc about the difference between Celiac and Gluten allergy/problems. I am DEFINITELY not the person to distinguish the difference. When my Dad talks about it, I do not follow the logic.

...not to dwell on the sugar...but good grief it is hard not too.....microwave kettle corn - I like Orville's personally - it feels/tastes less greasy....surprisingly satisfying.
    Last edited by grcg; 10-20-2008 at 21:53. Reason: ...no habla human biology

Default one more thought.....

Not to dwell on the sugar...but good grief it is hard not too. Microwave kettle corn. I like Orville's personally - it feels/tastes less greasy....surprisingly satisfying. I suppose it depends what your allergy is. I have a friend that can eat butter, but not milk. So this works for her. Again - human bio-chemistry is not something that my brain focuses on willingly. I do better with rocks and computers. So review my findings for your own application.

Hope that my research helps you. Athough it may not always represent all four food groups.
    Last edited by grcg; 10-20-2008 at 22:31. Reason: ...sorry to repeat....didn't realize my edit made it in.

Default COtoAK - found this AM

alaska craigslist > free stuff
    please flag with care:

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
    Gluten Free Newsletter Wheat Allergy Celiac Disease (ALaska)

Reply to: sale-886328138@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2008-10-20, 8:43AM AKDT

Free Newletter with recipes, products, and tips. Jerry

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 886328138

Just thought you might be interested
    Dandeo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast