Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Goat Hunt Story and pic's........

Thumbs up 2008 Goat Hunt Story and pic's........

Well, not sure where to start so let me thank a few people first.

I would first off like to thank my hunting partner "Rusty" (64 yrs old) for coming with me on this hunt. Rusty is like a father to me and we've known each other for 26yrs and I tell ya what, that man followed me every step of the way! Congrats to you my friend, love ya!

Secondly, you all remember the little deal with customer service from BARNEY'S that I had a few years ago, not good, well, Bob and I talked here via "pm" about what happened and due to our conversation I gave his business a second chance and couldn't of been more happy with the results! I can't remember the name of the guy who helped me, but, his advise on the gear I needed was priceless! Thanks to Barney's for excellent gear and service it truly helped make this hunt come to fruition!

Thirdly, thanks to all here for you advise and help, it was dually noted and helped a lot!

I can't forget Joshua (BucknRut) thanks so much for opening up you home to Rusty and I, your a great friend and look forward to returning the favor!

And for the rest of the news...............

DAY 1: We flew out with Northwind Aviation (Jose' Decreft (sp) ) at 10:30am Friday 9-26-08. All I can say is Jose' is a class act and runs a very nice business, he's a pleasure to talk to and keeps his planes in top notch! He has our business from homer any time! We flew towards Emerald Lake and immediately started seeing black bears and a lot of them! We flew 6 minutes and covered more then we could ever hunt, in that time we saw 12 goats and 18 black bears. Upon landing at Emerald Lake there was a camp so we packed up and started the hike up the drainage. ALDERS, ALDERS, ALDERS! My god, who created such a nasty little tree? After 3.5 hrs of busting brush we find our self tiered and ready to set camp about 1.5 miles up from the lake. Camp is set and we are seeing more goats and more bears.

Day 2: We awake to a hard frost and cold blue sky's, ahhhhhh, hunting season! We start to pack to head up the valley and my buddy Say's "there's a goat!" So we glassed for a while and started to see more goats and decided to hang and study them for a couple day's, well those couple of days hurt us because the bears kept pushing the goats farther up the valley.

Day 3: More glassing and game planning.............

Day 4: We pack up and head up the mountain with a spike camp to include, 2 sleeping bags, 2 tarp's, 4 packs mountain house, 1 msr stove and knives. It took us 7hrs to bust up through the alders and side hill 1.5miles to the third mountain up the drainage where the goat's were. We made a spike camp and immediately had a bear walk in on us, I got great video of the bear as we finally scared him off with shout's of "you better leave if you don't want to be diner!" ..... 12:45 am and the wind is howling! Blew our tarp off and slapped me in the face till finally we got up and reset everything, not much sleep maybe 3hrs outta 10 in the bag, thanks to "wiggy's" I was warm the whole trip!

Day 5: I am out of the bag by 7am, we fumble around trying to wake up and get ready for the big push over the next ridge to the billy's. I have everything ready to go and step back to see 5 goat's on our side of the mountain! .....It's the 5 we have been watching for 2.5 days. I was positive the one was a billy due to the way it hung around the rest, always staying 200-500 yards away from the pack until night fall then move in and bed down, had the stain on the rump, so I said I will take that one. I hand over the video camera to Rusty and went on the stalk. I got to within 350yards of them and was out of coverage so I set up for the shot. BOOM! Right over the back ... Jacked another shell as they all stood up and pulled the sites back down, BOOM! THWACK! The goat stumbles, drops and I think right on, done deal, NOPE! It kicked a leg out and leaned towards the edge and then........... Tumbled 500 ft down the cliff touching 3 times before landing in a cravas! Cut the story short, we got it out and it was not a billy, was a nanny, 7yr old and dry, broke both horns off on the fall, we found one.
    We took pic's and cleaned our harvest, I had about 115lbs pack and rusty about 75lbs and we started back down the mountain towards base camp. We took a different route that proved to be very dangerous, nasty alder shoot with cliffs on both sides. After butt sliding down and thanking god we are still alive we chose to make another spike camp only .5 miles from the base camp, we were so tired after 7hrs of heavy loads and dark approaching.

Day 6: We awake to the coldest night of all and load up for base camp. We made it in 2hrs, fighting the alders all the way. That night we a rack of goat ribs over the open fire and it took all the pain of this tough hunt away. We reflected on the hunt that night and thanked our luck stars we lived through a couple of nasty spots (cliffs) with heavy loads while sipping hot tang and whisky by the fire.

Day7: We made 2 trips each to get all the meat and camp down to the lake and called the pilot for a ride home. While hanging out we saw Alex AKA (float pilot) Come in for a landing with a student and take off to fly around. (that was Thursday Alex ) Jose' came and picked us up around 6:45pm and we were back in homer and on our way by 8pm.

Summarize: Goat hunting IS NOT sheep hunting, every sheep hunt has been a breeze compared to this hunt hands down! If you draw this permit DG360 Dixon Glacier be prepared for a Alder bustin' time!

We did witness a bear hunt via bino's and spotting scope and that person has been turned into fish and feathers for want and waste! That was the most disgusting thing I ever watched in my life! And we picked up there trash they left at the lake, I hope you get fined to the max, dirt bags!
    Attached Images Attached Images

pic'sssssss

moreeeee.........

last couple for now.

nice hunt, nice goat. making a rug?

what was the deal with the black bear hunters that required reporting?

Congrats!

Glad you guys had a great experience. That old dried up nanny will be better eating than an old billy anyway. It is great to share a hunt like this. Good times! Can you elaborate on the wanton waste of the bear? I thought you only had to take the hide in the fall.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

sounds like a great hunt, though very tough. What did the bear hunters do? In most if not all of the state a black bear's meat OR hide must be recovered, so as long as one or the other is kept, the hunters are within their rights. It sounds like they may have been slob hunters, but interesting to hear if they actually broke a game law or not.

Default that was no "dried up old nanny"!!!

a 7 year old nanny is in the prime of her reproductive life. most start breeding at 4-5 years of age, and some (a minority) not until they are 7. they are at their prime reproductive success between 7-11 years, and the older nannies are not only more likely to raise kids to independence, but also more likely (for some reason) to have male offspring.
    thus the reasoning that harvest of females is worth 2 (should probably be more) in the way F&G determines the biological value of goats taken every year.
    it is very likely that the department will be submitting a proposal in the next BOG cycle that will prohibit putting in for a goat permit for several years if a nanny is taken on a drawing hunt.
    if you would like more information on goat biology, which is quite unique, i recommend Cote and Festa-Bianchet's book "Mountain Goats--ecology, behavior and conservation of an alpine ungulate"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    a 7 year old nanny is in the prime of her reproductive life. most start breeding at 4-5 years of age, and some (a minority) not until they are 7. they are at their prime reproductive success between 7-11 years, and the older nannies are not only more likely to raise kids to independence, but also more likely (for some reason) to have male offspring.
    thus the reasoning that harvest of females is worth 2 (should probably be more) in the way F&G determines the biological value of goats taken every year.
    it is very likely that the department will be submitting a proposal in the next BOG cycle that will prohibit putting in for a goat permit for several years if a nanny is taken on a drawing hunt.
    if you would like more information on goat biology, which is quite unique, i recommend Cote and Festa-Bianchet's book "Mountain Goats--ecology, behavior and conservation of an alpine ungulate"
    Good post Dave. I'm glad to hear of the ADF&G proposal you mentioned. I think it could be an important conservation measure for goat populations that receive heavier hunting pressure. Another good goat book is "A Beast the Color of Winter".

Thumbs up Woooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you guys were in for a good hunt when the skies broke and allowed the sun in! By the way...you can come back now, it's raining again

Congrats to you and Randy, I am very glad to meet him and in the short time I spent with you two I could tell that you hold each other as dearest of friends. Good on both of you for getting each other up the mountain, and down!

Way to go!!

PS...You are welcome back anytime!

Default Congrats

Sounds like a tough hunt and you were rewarded for it. Very happy for your success. I think that everyone would like to know a little more of the details about the bear situation to include what did the guys with the badges say and do. I'm sure that a good taxidermist can repair your trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Also go back to the original discussion, where he was asking for advice, and got it.

Thumbs up

Great job, Kurt.

Very happy for you!

BEAR: You are required to bring out the "hide & skull" for sealing. He brought none of that out. He hiked up, shot it and hiked back down. Next morning they flew out. It was just a blatant waste of a very nice bear.

Personally, I was brought up, you pull the trigger you better plan on eating it, if not then don't shoot it.

Thumbs up

hope you got the N numbers off the plane!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    BEAR: You are required to bring out the "hide & skull" for sealing. He brought none of that out. He hiked up, shot it and hiked back down. Next morning they flew out. It was just a blatant waste of a very nice bear.

Personally, I was brought up, you pull the trigger you better plan on eating it, if not then don't shoot it.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Congrats man, sounds like a great hunt. We had to do a lot of alder busting as well, but they didn't seem as bad in Kodiak as I've been in around Juneau. Too bad you had to witness the poachers waste a perfectly good animal, not sure why anybody would waste their time to do that.

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    ... He hiked up, shot it and hiked back down. Next morning they flew out. It was just a blatant waste of a very nice bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.
    And thanks for reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Also go back to the original discussion, where he was asking for advice, and got it.
    I know what your getting at Akres and your not going to take away the pride I have in this hunt, so don't bother. I know your stance on this issue and that's fine, I get it, I understand it, I know it, but, I guess if everyone was "perfect" like yourself we wouldn't be here on this site debating things all the time now would we?

I took everyone's help and information to heart, I busted my ass on this hunt and so did my partner. I miss judged, my fault, but I did nothing illegal and had a great hunt and you nor anyone else can or will take that away from me. I learned a tremendous bit about this animal, I watched them from base camp for 2.5 days before making a move and will continue to learn from this experience, isn't that what it's about?

Like I said before I left, thanks for the info and help. One day my dream of a big billy will come true.

Curt

Default Congrats

I was in that area a few years back and also flown in by Jose. Great pilot with top notch knowledge and equipment. Unfortunately I did not get a goat.....next time. Sounds like a great time, CONGRATULATIONS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast