Thread: Salcha River caribou??

Default Salcha River caribou??

I am trying to plan a hunt up the Salcha next Aug for bou and I dont really have a clue about how far to run up river. I have everything I need for the hunt, just lack of info. I was wandering if anyone had some info they would be willing to share about this hunt. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking on my topo maps and was wandering if anyone could tell me how far up the river (in river miles) were certian land marks such as the Pipeline crossing, Mccoy creek, Ninteyeight creek, Butte creek and Caribou. Agian any info would help

Thanks

Default Caribou

If you do the Salcha, go as far up river as you can. If I knew how to post pics here, I show you what to expect. August, they are in the head water country.
    Actually found out how to post but file may be to big. will try any way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably pretty tough to reach them by boat. Probably better luck flying in from Delta Junction with Jim Cummings.

I just can't imagine those 2 jugs holding that plane in the wind, cub!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info guys. I know a couple guys who go up every year, and they usally get bou and moose (they go in sept.) I didnt want to seem like I was trying to find his spot or anything so I didnt ask him.

Thanks agian guys and anymore info would be great

I have a friend who goes every year at the end of August. I can only give information that he has said to me.

You need to watch the water levels very close. The water can drop a few inches a day without rain. All of the log jams and beaver dams are usually not cut out. Expect to jump or at least run into log/beaver dams. Like others have said, get as far up as you can. This year in early August the farthest guys were getting was around 90 miles. At the end of August, 60 miles was about the max.