Thread: Turkey Shotgun ??

Default Turkey Shotgun ??

My 13yr old daughter has all the sudden decided that she wants to try hunting. (I'm estatic ) She already shoots a .243 and smaller cartridges, but until this point hasn't shown any interest in hunting. Of all the things we could hunt she is dead set on going turkey hunting. I happen to have a friend in Northern California that can facilitate getting us on birds in the spring.

What I am stuck on is that I know nothing about shotguns. I have an .870 Police Magnum 20" scattergun that I carry for bears and I could get a new barrel for it. I am afraid that the recoil of the 870 in 12ga will be too much for her. Can you use a 20 ga. ? What choke, barrel length etc should I be looking at for either guage? Better shotgun options that won't break the bank?

Default Turkey

I'm not sure what Cali.'s regs are !! BUT, I've killed a dozen or so turkeys both Miriam and Rio Grande. ONLY three have secumbed to a shotgun round. I've shot the other 9 with a rifle. I've used a 243 , 6mmBR, 220 swift, 223 , 222 REM, and one witha 338 Win Mag. So depending what season she wants to hunt and what terrain she wants to hunt maybe a rifle would be her best bet. When firing a bullet that doesn't fragment like a grenade turkeys aren't damaged that bad , and are fun to hunt with rifles. Fall hunts are better rifle hunting as calling doesn't work as well.
    Spring is when calling and shotguns come into the picture.
    Your shotgun is capable of having a 26" or so barrel replace the police barrel. The replacement should have at least a modified to full choke. Some barrels are threaded for screw in chokes, some of those chokes are ported to reduce recoil. There are special chokes for turkey ammo and hunting if you so choose. There are also special lead shot turkey rounds loaded for turkey hunting.
    20 ga. shotguns are a little light for turkey. Maybe the difference would be equal to a 308 win vs a 338 wm.
    Best of luck to your daughter.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

She would likely do better with a 20 ga. X-full choke would be best, full choke next. High brass shells loaded with either 4 or 5 shot. With 20 ga. I would say try to keep the shot around 30yds. or less. Get her a good recoil pad ( limbsaver or similar). Have her practice on turkey targets (head/neck). See whether the 4 or 5 shot performs best in her gun. Need to consistently place at least half dozen pellets in the head/neck area. If not may need to experiment with shells, choke. Do not aim for the body. They are very tough birds and extremely difficulty to bring one down with other than head shot.
    Movement is critical, slowwwwer the better.
    If she can handle 12 ga., you can extend range up to 40 yds.
    The closer the better, and practice, practice.
    Have a great time and memories that last forever.

Default 870 Express youth 20

The 870 youth comes in camo and with a good choke and #5's (my fave) it'll have no problems killing birds to ~35 yrds. There are ported choke tubes to help with recoil (but loud, of course.) You could make a dedicated turkey gun with rifle-type sights (mount to the rib) and a better recoil pad.

Shoot a lot with lighter 2 3/4 loads and when that ol gobbler comes struttin in she'll never feel the 3" mag. (Make sure you pattern the hunting loads, though.)

Turkeys are usually a one shot deal, so a single shot with a full choke would work.

You're really using a shotgun like a rifle for turkey hunting - aiming at a relatively small and stationary target (head shots.)
    Drink indigenous.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be hunting with my bow and with the info given so far it looks like I will get a youth sized 870 for her for Christmas and have a better recoil pad put on it. That way she'll have her own bird gun for grouse and ptarmigan also.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll be hunting with my bow and with the info given so far it looks like I will get a youth sized 870 for her for Christmas and have a better recoil pad put on it. That way she'll have her own bird gun for grouse and ptarmigan also.
    I've got a buddy in turkey country who started his daughter in junior high on the 870 youth model with a factory full choke. Factory 3" #6's if I recall correctly. She's in college now and still won't switch from that youth 20. She's never lost a bird and never had to shoot twice. Dad's a dedicated hunter and great caller, so she's always had really fine shooting ops. Seems like that's your answer right there.

Default 870 jr.

Take a look at the 870 JR. It is smaller than the other youth models and comes in camo. They are around $320 dealer cost and they have a $20 rebate right now.

For my kids I bought a Mossberg 500 bantam 20Ga. You can get them with an adjustable stock to help with the length of pull. I used both the standard full choke tube that comes with the gun and I also have an after market turkey choke. I would recommend getting some 20 Ga turkey loads with heavi-shot - I think they make them in 2 3/4 and 3 inch - I use 3 inch shells for hunting, but have the kids shot light field loads for practice. My daughter's rig is deadly out to about 35 yards with the after market choke. Price was good too - $300.00 at Wal-mart, aftermarket choke $19.95 from Cabelas