Thread: FBKs ducks

Default FBKs ducks

Anyone having success with ducks around FBKs lately? DCR? Haven't seen too much flying locally in the last week or so. Had some good shooting down in Minto Flats last week (mostly big mallards), but with the snow on the road down to the Chat launch and frazzle ice in the river, I think the easy access to the flats may be over for the year.

Peger road Bridge.
    Tim

Let me know when your going to hunt by the bridge, I want to get in on that shoot. Maybe if we give them a reason to they will migrate this year.

Ha...I've been thinking how to put those "welfare ducks" in my freezer for year.

They are getting so fat I don't think that many of them can fly anymore from all the wonder bread people give 'em.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Heres you report for Sunday in the Fairbanks area...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Heres you report for Sunday in the Fairbanks area...
    I was wondering where the Peger road Ducks went and there they are..

I wish we can go down there and blast them ducks. I bet you they are tasty. Found some really good open water and just had ducks dumping in on Sunday, some of the best shooting I have ever had this late in the interior.....Hopefully it will stay open for next weekend...

Default Minto

Minto Flats? The Chat launch...Are you taking murphy dome road? If so...Hows the last bit of the road? Can you make it with a truck pulling a boat? How far is it to the lakes by boat? Never been out there. Sounds like its too late this season. Sure would like any info for next season. Thanks.

Yes, that is how I've been getting in there. The entire is road is very rough. The mud holes can be pretty dicey too. I wouldn't even think about it unless I had a set of really good tire chains. Be prepared to beat the heck out of your truck, boat and trailer. With the cold weather we've been having I think access into the flats is pretty much over for the year. I heard that the big lakes have started to or are pretty much frozen over now. Lots and lots of slush/frazzle ice in the Chat too.

Just use some 1/4 sticks of dynamite and blast some holes in the ice and any birds flying will come dumping into the water. Ducks expend so much energy flying in the cold this time of the year and look for any open water to land in and rest. Last Saturday I was was busting ice in a slough just to get some open water to through deeks in. Although it didnt produce any ducks because the lakes nearby were unfrozen so they held the ducks in them. If the water is just surface ice and you are seeing birds flying bust the ice and make some open water.

Default Few ducks flying

I work right near the Chena and have watched a few mallards and goldeneyes cruise up and down the river fairly low. The moving water is still open and any little slough outlets may be a spot for a small set of dekes. The main river (tannana) may be another way to go since it isn't frozen up.
    Sunday my son and I drifted down some of the upper Chena. Jumped several mallards but the majority of birds were goldeneyes. They must be holding in til freeze up. I'm thinking about a drift hunt for next year about 15 SEP . Start at Murphy Dome and drift down the Chat set up for jump shooting. Drift all the way down and then power into Minto for pickup. May take a couple days but I bet that would be some fun jump shooting and a really mixed bag. Do-able