Thread: 7mm big enough?

Default 7mm big enough?

I'd like to have a larger caliber - but I've got what I've got, a Browning A-bolt II with the Boss system, topped with a Leopold Vari-X 3 gold ring (that's a mouthful) scope. I know that it would be plenty for a caribou but moose? I'm a crack shot and on a moose I'd take a neck shot over anything else. I also read on someone's profile "Use a gun that's not only big enough for what you're hunting but for what might be hunting you"; very sage advice! Any thoughts on the 7mm?

Assuming that rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag you'll be fine with heavy bullets. Perhaps not the first choice, but hundreds of hunters up here use it. Don't sweat it.

However, I like to say that you DON'T want to take neck shots on a moose. A big bull has a very very large neck and the spine is only a small part of it. Very unlike a deer. Take it from a guy who has had to make several neck shots for various reasons, and make your first shot into the lungs. I'm sure others will back me up on that. Lungs always work.

Yk

I think a lot of the 7mm Remington mag caliber. It has very useful ballistics yet is not an overbore, powder guzzler, barrel burner type of round. It also has an abundance of good bullets available for it. I would not feel to badly under gunned with the seven mag with heavier bullets of 160 to 175 grain, especially for moose, and I would stay with the stronger bullets in this bullet weight. I find the rifle very effective for elk and kudu sized animals with the 160 grain Swift A frame.

Moose are generally taken at shorter distances, with the long end at about 250 yards and trajectory with either weight would not be an issue.

It would also beat many other rifle calibers as a brown bear rifle, about the equal of the 30-06 for such purpose with better trajectory.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I agree 7mm rem mag is big enough.

As a general rule I would shoot for the lungs as well, but that is because they are a nice large target and easier to hit in less then desirable circumstances.

The 7mmRM is plenty of moose medicine.
    My 7mmRM was off at the gun smith, so i took my .280, and with a 160 gr. Nosler Accubond i took a nice 51" moose at a measured 140 yards, one shot, down. Lung shot.
    Bottom line, i would not hesitate to use a 7mmRM for any moose.
    Funny, but i see lots of guys saying that with the "smaller calibers", you should pick your shot. Shouldn't you always pick your shot, no matter what caliber? Nothing, repeat NOTHING worse than having a wounded animal wandering around suffering because someone tried for a hero shot. Just my $.02.

Default Trapperrick

I use a 7mag for moose every time, its done well. The very first moose I ever took a shot at I aimed for the neck, never again. It has done the trick on a couple good brown bears too. Good luck.

Nothing wrong with a good neck shot at the base of the head because that is where I shoot my moose almost all the time. They drop instantly and die with barely a twitch. Lung shots work, but not what I prefer. Rib meat is tasty, but that is preference.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

One of the guys I hunted with a couple years ago has shot or helped shoot he figured about 50 moose with his 7Mag that he bought new over 25 years ago and now the blue is so gone that the barrel looks chrome on rem 700..
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I agree - accuracy is the thing. I've shot 9 moose with my 6.5x55 Swede, and all ended up in the freezer. The heaviest bullets I've used were 160 gr., and I prefer them, but I've also shot moose with 140 gr. Nosler Partitions. I keep the range within 100 yards for those. But hundreds of moose fall to the little Swede in Scandinavia every year, and they probably react much the same over here.

I'm a proponent of the lung shot myself. It's a pretty big target on a moose, and it leaves a good blood trail, should you need it. But if you're a good shot, as you say, the base of the skull works too.

Have fun.

Terry

I've never shot a moose, but I have shot a large bull elk with one, and it was devastating. It was at close range with a 160 N Partition. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk at 600 yds with it, nor a moose. Shot placement and bullet terminal performance are what count. As for a neck shot... depends on yer bullet performance and placement. A frangible bullet that transfers most energy to the neck will put it down right now. A non opening bullet shot throught the meat wont do much... might not even kill it.

+1 for the 7mm

My hunting bud shot a grizzly this year with a 7mm while we were moose hunting. The ground on the offside where she was standing when he shot her looked like someone had taken a coffee can full of lung tissue and blood and slung it on the ground and that was with POS Remington Express loads. We found her less than 50 ft from where she was hit.
    Now what ?

Wow, this makes me feel a LOT better! Yes, my rifle is a Rem Mag and I would be shooting heavy loads, probably have some custom loaded for me for moose or bear. I've only shot whitetails, thus the inclination to take neck shots. A moose is just a white tail that takes steroids and works out, right? Being a bowhunter also, I know that nothing is as important as shot placement. Maybe I can get some HE or WP rounds for the bears, LOL. Thanks guys!!

Default Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    Wow, this makes me feel a LOT better! Yes, my rifle is a Rem Mag and I would be shooting heavy loads, probably have some custom loaded for me for moose or bear. I've only shot whitetails, thus the inclination to take neck shots. A moose is just a white tail that takes steroids and works out, right? Being a bowhunter also, I know that nothing is as important as shot placement. Maybe I can get some HE or WP rounds for the bears, LOL. Thanks guys!!
    Look around you might find a couple of boxes of depleted uranium ammo. It's really heavy and if you shoot a moose late in the evening, he might even glow in the dark. LOL !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I do a lot of my hunting nowadays with a 7mm..........as in the 7x57 variety. Never had the urge for the 7RM, but I assume it would serve you just as well as long as you do your part.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I DRT's a bull a few years ago with a 7mm, the shot was straight down hill and I didn't compensate so I hit em high in the back. That TBBC lew the spine in two and kept on going. Shot a Coyote with one too, now that required a lot of sewing! I too believe the 7's get overlooked all too often.