Thread: Anyone Lose Meat w/ an Air Cargo Co.

Default Anyone Lose Meat w/ an Air Cargo Co.

Never flamed anyone before, and not intending to do it now, but will share our experience, good and/or bad, once the issue is put to bed. So far, its a sad tale.

Has anyone had significant meat spoilage with one of the air cargo companies? By significant, I mean much, most, or all of it? Such as failing to place in cooler or freezer entirely?

I will share our story after I find out what their final response is. They said they would make it right, but initial response was far from it. In the meantime, I wanted to see what other folks, if any, have experienced loss and what amends, if any, were made.

Thanks,

W
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Yep, out of Aniak.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

have never heard about spoilage, but had family go south with coolers full of frozen halibut only to get empty coolers at the other end. if i remember correctly the airline paid them a small amount but nowhere near what it cost them to get it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was going to ship my meat home with N.A.C. out of Kodiak until I saw that their freezer wasn't opperational. I shipped it with ERA (who partners with Alaska Air out of Kodiak) and had no issues. You are not allowed to ship it with real ice, but they do put it right in the freezer. Their freezer must be cold because my meat that went with them unfrozen was frozen when I picked it up in Anchorage the next day even though it was in an insulated cooler.

Default meat

Shipped meat back from King Salmon with NAC last month with no problems. However, when picking up my meat, I did notice several other boxes with freezer stickers not sitting in the freezer. They may have just been in transition, but it made me wonder.

Default Thats it

Thats what we are dealing with. Apprx. 600lbs meat and a cape that were not put in the freezer, but instead sat out and spoiled. All the meat and the cape were lost.

So far hitting a wall dealing with the folks too. Will still try to work with them next week.

When you saw the boxes marked freezer, were they cardboard boxes or pallet size?

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default ?

Let me guess, out of Kotz? It really is the only place in AK that I have heard of meat sitting on the tarmac (sp) for days on end.

I wonder if there is a way under current wanton waste laws to go after air carriers that accept game meat as cargo then do not take care of it while in their possession?

It's disgusting that any cargo opperation would take cargo like meat and not treat it with respect. If they aren't going to be able to keep it chilled or frozen they should say so right at the freight counter and give a person a chance to deal with it in other ways.

If F&G did that, all air carriers would stop shipping meat, problem solved.

How can you prove the meat was not bad when they received it? A lot of hunters just don't know how to take care of game meat or want to if they are trophy hunters.

How many times have we read where a hunter complains about the cost of shipping meat and wants to dump it in the village?

Default Close Call

I was flying out of King Salmon a few years ago and dropped my moose at N.A.C.. We were stuck for the day and wandered around for hours. On one trip by the strip we checked and saw our meat on a pallet in plastic bags. It was about 45 degrees and raining. A stop at the counter left me frustrated with no real answer as to when the meat would hit the freezer. 2 stops later it was still on the tarmac.
    I called the front office in Anchorage and found a sympathetic ear in one of the managers. (Thanks Don R.!) I was back at the counter when he called K.S.. The gal glared at me and then got on the radio and instructed "Billy" to get the pallet moved to the freezer. Mine wasn't the only pallet sitting in the rain, but when I asked if they were going to take care of the other peoples meat I was totally ignored. Not even a glance.
    It was obviously not N.A.C.'s policy, but the ground crews laziness that threatened my meat. Whenever possible, check your own meat and demand satisfaction.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it