Thread: Looking for some input on bears

Default Looking for some input on bears

I have a buddy's kid hounding me everytime I see him to take him hunting. I was hoping that someone may know of a place that would be a pretty good first experience for the kid in hunting. Was thinking of taking him up around Petersville for black bear but haven't heard much about what the weather is doing and what the bear activity is.
    I am not trying to pry any honey holes or secret spots from anyone, just trying to get a good kid involved in something that would last a lifetime. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

If you had a boat, you could find some blackbears out of whittier

Default Fuller Lakes

Try Fuller Lake down on the Peninsula the trail is an easy hike up there and then you glass the hillsides, and do some fishing in the lake. I've seen a lot of black bears up there this summer.

Ermine Lake Trail or Little Coal Creek off of the Parks Highway in Denali State Park. We see bears every time we are in there. One of my son's buddies shot his first black bear in there last week. It is probably snowing in there right now, but it's supposed to clear up next week.

Try Snug Harbor Road at the south end of Kenai Lake. Lot's of bears on the hills on the way into the lake. The trails into the smaller lakes should have some grouse on them.

Thanks for the input thus far. I was originally trying to stear clear of the peninsula due to the bears being on fish all summer. I have heard that they sweeten up once they hit the berry patches but some reassurance would be great. I would love to get this kid hooked on hunting but I also would like to put some bear meat in the freezer cause moose never materialized for me. Thanks again and if we get out I will be sure to update on the results.