Thread: Tanner Pots whats your pleasure??

Default Tanner Pots whats your pleasure??

OK enough folks have been asking me to build crab pots so i'm thinking seriously of doing it So i've got some questions for you guys
    What size would you like to see them made?? I'm thinking something like 24L x 24W x 16H ? or maybe 36x36x16 ?? or maybe 36x24x14-16.
    So give me some ideas for size. My thinking is something in the way of a scaled down king crab pot. Of course they will be made out of the same galvanized vinyl coated wire i build my shrimp pots out of but it will be a bigger mesh size and a much heavier gauge wire and all put together with the clips i use on the shrimp gear. I was in fish and game yesterday getting some info on the regs for the pots so i think i'm good to go there but still have to come up with a good design for all you guys.
    OK lemme have it tell me what you'd like to see and i'll try to build'em.
    For the guys already fishing pots what size are you using? are they the style pots with the tunnel on the top of the pot(bucket with bottom cut out) or are they a side tunnel style pot??? round or cone shape or rectangular??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Pyramid shape (you can stack 'em), funnel at the top, 48" square base, height is 24".

I like the toploader pyramid design...

Need to catch up with you sometime for another shrimp pot too...had one get away from me, slipped out of my hand when snapping it on my line!!!

Think bigger is better when you can only drop two. But if they extend the fishery to overlap shrimp that perception may change.

Sent you and email.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default First year on the Tanner

Looking forward to the Kachemak opener I called all the likely sources for pots -- all indicated they were trying to hook up to a source but only the K-Gear Shed would take an order --- but, none in stock. They were taking orders for someone to make piece by piece with about 30-60 days lead time. My estimate was that by the time I actually obtained a pot order the summer season would be over.

So, I bought two large pyramid shrimp pots and converted them into simulated, jury rigged, tanner pots. I wove into the side of the shrimp pots openings and escape mechanisms as required. I tested them for about a month of weekends with little luck bagging tanners. I did catch a ton of dungeness, star fish, small shrimp, octopus, and cross section of other sea creatures but only one undersized female tanner. I kept looking for some "real" tanner pots to buy while crabbing new spots and depths, and making modifications that I thought might improve my Rube Goldberg contraption.

When I first went looking for tanner pots I found that most of the commercial pyramid stackable pots were way too heavy and too large for me to handle on my boat with my small Ace puller. Some pots alone were 90lbs, plus. These heavier models had large diameter rebarr on the bottom to hold the pot in place on the sea bottom.

I located a source of used pots that were easier to handle. Mine are pyramid, nest but are larger than I wanted. The bottom ring is 60" the top 30" and the opening at the top is 18" (with plastic tunnel) and they are 22" tall. I guess one of these pots weigh 25-30lbs --- more bulk than weight. Since they do not have a large heavy chunk of metal at the pot's bottom, I tie a small collapsible anchor to the pull line to secure it in the mud. They are large but if I do not use an anchor the pots will drag with tide or winds. They do, however, catch tanner crab.

My experience on Kachemak is that I would pull them once a day as it is a bit of a work out with the Ace puller. I have them tied with 400' leaded line 5/16" and normally crab in 250' in the innner bay. Outside, I use 600' of line in 300 -350' of line. My best luck has been in the inner bay and have found that just about any fish scrap/carcass will work as bait.

My recommendation is to use multiple floats tied a few feet apart, of different colors, to help locate your pots in choppy weather and different light conditions. Whatever you do, make sure the pot entrance tunnel is large enough. Also, I found that shaking crab (large snapping spiders) and other creatures from the bottom is easier than trying to pull them out by hand.

In Kachemak the bottom is muddy and the bottom ring collects mud which can cause your deck and rain gear to be a mess. You cannot just hang a pot over the side and shake to get the mud --- more like goo --- off the bottom ring. I use my deck hose to blow the stuff off but a smaller, easier to handle/clean pot would be appreciated. I've watched a number of other people pulling their pots and they have developed their own techniques.

I would like to see a recreational tanner pot, proportionately smaller to make it easier to deal with when on deck as long as the pot had a large tunnel opening.

F & G requires that they be able to verify that you have the legal type, size and sex of crab -- and, in this regard, they are being diligent.

Good luck.

This is what I'd like to see in a crab pot, 19lbs with NEPTUNE TRIGGERS. Shipping to Alaska, don't ask.

http://www.neptunemarineproducts.com...y-to-fish.html

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Jay,
    That pot looks close to what i have in mind to build and yeah the freight cost of getting that wire here is going to have a lot to do weather its worth it for me to build them. The wire i'm thinking of using is 3"x3" mesh and its a LOT heavier than the wire i use for shrimp pots.
    So alright i'm thinking of 3'x3'x15 or18" for a pot size, with 2 tunnels in the sides of the pot (maybe 4 if they look good).
    What do you guys think of the sizing?? Anybody using square pots down Homer way?? or are they all the cone style with the top tunnel??
    To my way of thinking i'd rather have a pot that fishes good and doesn't nest or stack inside each other rather than pots that stack good but don't fish well. One think i do know is that these pots ain't gonna be cheap to build

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Back in the 1970's

Back in the 70's we where a poor boy operation and couldn't go buy two different types of pots, so we rigged up removable door incerts.
    One for crab and one for shrimp. we used tie wraps to hold the incerts in place. The trap was the same it was just the crab / shrimp incert that changed.
    Worked very well, we used to get huge King Crab numbers.