Thread: Wall tent help and questions

Default Wall tent help and questions

Let me start this by saying we will be using it in September we are looking at a 14'x17' montana canvas. We plan to heat it with the big buddy heater with a 30lb. alluminum tank, my question's are is there anything wrong with this brand and are there better brands? do you think the heater will be good enough to heat the tent to a comfort level, and is there any accesorries that you got that makes your tent just a little more nicer to be in? Did you get your tent with the screen, tent bottom, window or windows, front and back doors or just front, or a gun or bow rack? or any thing else you can think of. This is a big purchase for my brother and I and I just want to make sure that we have and haven't missed all the bells and whistles Thank you for your help

About the only question I can answer is about the heater. I would think a wood stove would make a better heater choice. Wood heat is also a dryer source of heat and will help to dry off your hunting gear and clothing better than propane.

wall tent + wood stove =

There just something about that crackling fire and dry heat. Can't be beat.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Thumbs up A few thoughts...

I'm not an expert by any means, but have a little bit of my own experience and a lot of my dad's experience to draw on for wall tent camping. His camp includes a 10x12 tent for cooking and a 12x16 for sleeping in. Each tent has its own wood stove which in my opinion is the only feasible option for heating a wall tent. The stove for the sleeping tent is just a basic round steel stove with a flat top. The stove for the cook tent is a different story entirely. It has a cast iron top with two burners from an old cook stove. There are brackets on one side of it for a warming shelf. The other side has brackets for a 4-5 gallon stainless steel water jacket. As for accessories on the tent when ordering, a sod cloth and stove pipe hole are necessities. A zippered door is also nice. For the sleeping tent, we usually put down a tarp and then indoor/outdoor carpet for comfort. The cook tent goes without a floor. Both tents have internal frames. A blue tarp over the top of them helps to shed rain and snow and also makes them a bit more windproof as well as helping to hold heat in better.
    There are several companies that manufacture a good wall tent. "Alaska Tent and Tarp" and "Reliable Tent and Awning" are two that I know of and would recommend from personal experience. Both have very informative websites too that can answer some of your questions.
    How big of wall tent to get just depends on how many people you plan to have sleeping in it. Just remember that the bigger the tent you get, the more it's going to take to heat it.
    The Buddy Heater may seem like a good idea, but due to the carbon monoxide it produces, isn't a good idea at all if you're trying to sleep with it running. Definitely causes terrible headaches at best and could result in death at worst.
    There are a lot more amenities that are nice to have for convenience, such as a "camp kitchen" to put all your cooking utensils in and use as a cooking surface, but those are more luxuries than anything else. My dad has spent the better part of the last thirty years accruing all of the things in his camp and it's a luxurious setup. I've only been accumulating for the last three years and have a long ways to go.
    Hopefully I've answered a few questions and given you more information to ponder. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me and I can try to help.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Internal frame angles...

I just had another thought to add on the pre-manufactured angles for internal frames. Alaska Tent and Tarp sells angles that are marked "Montana Canvas" which are kind of a one-size-fits-all angle. They work, but aren't very convenient or user-friendly. Reliable Tent and Awning sells welded angles that are much easier to use and also less costly. The drawback to ordering angles from Reliable is that you need a few measurements from your tent and then you also have to wait for them to manufacture and ship the angles.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Thanks for the reply's keep'em coming. we thought the big buddy heater would be nice cause I could control the heat with a switch and understand the dangers, which I was going to counter act with a battery operated c.o. tester. not to worried about drying clothes with the heat if I need to dry hunting clothes I would start a fire under the lean too. We were trying to save on weight and searching for wood to burn in the stove along with the high and low temps you encounter with the wood stove but we still have not set our minds on one source of heat yet trying to decide on brand of tent first. We know we want a 14'x17' for sure to accomodate 3-4 people with big cots and still have room to cook a meal and store gear without tripping over it

Default Wall Tent

In my opinion the best made wall tent is made by Alaska Tent and Tarp in Fairbanks.
    #1. They can make it plain or loaded with options
    #2. They understand the demands that Alaska throws at you
    #3. They can help you decide on the correct materials for your application
    #4. They make them 100% by hand

Buy a tent that has been treated with mildew and fire retardant. This will help with maintenance and make it safer with a stove inside.

Buy a tent with a flap on the bottom edge, this will seal it up in windy conditions.

Good luck!

I use a small Buddy heater, and it does an excellent job heating my 8' x 10' Wall tent. A problem with propane is that it produces humidity, but mostly when it gets cold. Also, a Wall tent without a water-resistant floor also allows moisture from the ground to raise and fill the tent.

Since I only use my tent in September during the first two weeks of moose season, it's usually not cold enough for me to leave the heater on for long periods of time, so moisture is not a problem. I also do the following:

-Place a tarp on the ground, and a treated canvas floor over it to keep moisture rising from the ground
    -When drying things in the tent by using the heater, or just to warm the tent, I open the back window of the tent just a little (I have one of those, too), and crack the front door just a little. This creates ventilation, and allows the moisture to scape
    -I built an A-Frame structure that is taller and larger than the tent, and throw a large tarp over it, and then tie the ends to the trees nearby, or to stakes on the ground. This way I keep rain and snow from reaching the tent, which in turn keeps it very dry inside.

What everyone has been *****footin' around is this. Burn a propane heater and it creates moisture. It's just a byproduct of burning propane. Physics and such. You won't be able to dry out clothes as quickly.

It will introduce moisture to everything.

Wood heat is better.
    Only if you want things dry.

Sell your Big Buddy.

Buy a woodstove.
    Be happy.

Thanks for the replies, Again i just want to heat the tent for comfort if I need to dry anything out I will save it for home or start a fire outside the tent under the lean too. I don't like getting up out of a warm bag for 5min. to start a fire that has burnt out in the middle of the night along with the temp diffrence's from the wood stove although it's nice to have heat and not have to worry about dying in your sleep lol

Default 5' walls

Get 5' walls and not 4'ers...you will be glad that you did....the 5' should not include the 8 or so inches of bottom that is sewed on 90deg to the walls.

Use a wood stove - you can get lightweight ones. I have one that weighs 3 pounds and will make my 12x14 comfortable and gets my tipi 70 deg above ambient with good wood. I also have a couple other wood stoves that are much heavier and will hold a fire all night.

i have never used a sod cloth. I don't like them - just something to sweep off when it gets dirty. I haven't used a wall tent in AK - but have set mine on top of a foot of snow - stove dries it out pretty quick with a good fire. I use a small 2x2 piece of carpet to put my boots on by my cot.

If you already have the buddy - it will take the chill off - but don't plan on getting cozy with it when it is 5 degrees out.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Thanks for the replies, Again i just want to heat the tent for comfort if I need to dry anything out I will save it for home or start a fire outside the tent under the lean too. I don't like getting up out of a warm bag for 5min. to start a fire that has burnt out in the middle of the night along with the temp diffrence's from the wood stove although it's nice to have heat and not have to worry about dying in your sleep lol
    Your propane stove will work just fine for short runs. That's what I do, except that I don't take a big tank with me, but a small propane tank (3 pounds?). My hunting partners do the same in their tents (Buddy heaters). But we all have floors in our tents, and carpet runners in front of the bed all the way out the door.

Default Check out Cabelas

I just bought a 12X20 Alaknak wall tent. It is much lighter than traditional tents. Read the reviews, there are a ton of them and they are all excellent. I bought this tent because my buddy has one and I think it is awesome. We used a Yukon stove with gas and it heated the tent real nice. We used it at Skilac Lake in Oct. I too have a Big Buddy, haven't really had a chance to use it yet but I will. This tent is very nice, you should check it out. You can get a floor liner, large vestibule and a roof liner, all of which I ordered.

Default Propane heat attracts mosquito’s

I have a 14x16 with 5’ walls. I heat with a wood stove at my lake property, and a kerosene heater at hunting camp. It has 3 windows, a bug screen door, and sod cloth. I also own a 12x14 with 3’ walls. The 12x14 is made from green marine canvas. (Don’t buy green, it’s too dark!)

Here are the things I will get my next tent to replace my 12x14…
    1. 10oz. 12x14 with 4’ walls (5 foot walls will give you more space but will loose more heat.)
    2. One window at the back of the tent for ventilation, no other windows.
    3. I will buy from Davis Tent out of Colorado because of the material they use to make their tents from. It’s a “double fill” top quality canvas.
    4. Ridge pole openings that can be sealed around the ridge pole, or sealed when not in use.
    5. Yes on sod cloth. (Sod cloth helps seal the bottom of the tent on irregular ground.
    6. I will use a heavy “blue tarp” for the roof to help keep the canvas dry, and protect against sparks, and UV. The tent itself is weather proof. I have stayed in both of my tents in heavy rains without a cover tarp.
    7. I will not invest in the bug screen for the door. When its hot enough to open the door for ventilation it’s too hot for skeeters!
    8. I use “Traditional” pole system. I make them myself, and they are easy to assemble. I can erect my tent in about 20 minutes. If you decide to go with this type of pole system I will be happy to send pictures and tell you what I’ve learned.
    9. For a floor I just buy a canvas painter’s tarp from Lowes.
    10. Go with the mildew resistant canvas at a minimum, the big downside with canvas is it will not take being put away wet very well. You will find your tent a mildew mess the next time you use it.

That’s my two cents worth.

I was hoping to get some opinons from you guys on your preference for larger tents. My hunting partner and I were thinking this would be a good year to finally invest in a nice tent that will hopefully last us several more hunting years.

We are comparing a 14x16 canvas wall tent from Kwik Kamp to the 12x20 Cabela's Alaknak. Both seem to offer lots of great options and tons of space. I have friends who own both, and give good bad reviews on each. From a price standpoint, the Cabela's tent seems cheaper after buying all the options, including stove. But I've also been told to spend the extra fwe hundred dollars to get the canvas tent.

So I thought I would ask a larger forum to see what hunters prefer. I'm tired of being crammed into a small tent with tons of gear (maybe that's the problem, ha). Anyway, appreciate the responses and look forward to hearing what your opinions are.

tents and marquees for hire

We have been using the canvas wall tents for main camp for several years. I can't speak to the Alaknak, but I can attest to having a tent that you don't need to hunch over to walk in to. Since my last post I did buy another wall tent and I did get 5' walls(they had a special). I bought the 12x14x5', one front door, one back window. I have now switched to a lightweight wood stove instead of the kerosene stove. I can fit 4 cots in the 12x14, but two of them have to be smaller cots, and not the giant XXL's. I also switched from the Lowes painters tarp to a heavy weight vinyl tarp. It makes no noise, and doesn't mildew.

What we like about the wall tents:
    • Center Pole for hanging clothes, guns, and packs.
    • Wood stove for drying out clothes and warmth.
    • Everyone has their own area.
    • Action Packer fit under cots and makes great storage.
    • Dosen't sweat.
    • Floor-less - easy to clean and replaceable.
    • Various setup options.

What we don't like about wall tents:
    • Heavy and bulky.

I still use the blue or grey tarp for the roof, and in areas where we keep coming back to we have poles cut, and left there. That way we don't need to bring them.

The wife and kids like the wall tent too

I bought a 10X12 Montana Canvas wall tent and frame from Cabelas this winter w/ a hunter model Cyliner stove. It was 50.00 (749.00) cheaper than the same Montana canvas tent that Sportsman's Warehouse has in stock, plus it has 6' walls, which are really like 5' 6". Shipping was only 20.00 for a 70 lb canvas tent, couldn't believe it. I highly recommend Montana Canvas tent and frame. The entire tent is treated against fire, mildew and water, not just the top. My buddy bought the smaller Alaknak II from Cabelas, nice but no Wall tent. Either go w/ Montana or Ak tent and tarp. Wait till Cabelas has free shipping on all orders over 500.0, then all they charge you is like 10.00-20.00 for the additional costs due to extreme weight and size. I wanted one for years and finally got one. You won't be disappointed. Montana tents come w/ 40 heavy duty steel stakes, rope and tightners, if you buy from AK tent and tarp you'll pay alot extra for these additional features that come on all Montana wall tents:ropes and tightners, stakes, zipper, stove jack, stove jack flap, window, sod cloth and treating of the entire tent. Plus Montana tents have 5 or 6 ft walls, not 4.
    Hope this helps. Billy

Quote Originally Posted by davea View Post
    In my opinion the best made wall tent is made by Alaska Tent and Tarp in Fairbanks.
    #1. They can make it plain or loaded with options
    #2. They understand the demands that Alaska throws at you
    #3. They can help you decide on the correct materials for your application
    #4. They make them 100% by hand

Buy a tent that has been treated with mildew and fire retardant. This will help with maintenance and make it safer with a stove inside.

Buy a tent with a flap on the bottom edge, this will seal it up in windy conditions.

Good luck!
    Yep! on all -

My friend told me that once they went to camping, they have used that Montana Canvas Wall Tent. He told me that this tent provided shelter from the most severe elements for our early pioneers, trappers, miners, and hunters. So, i think for all outdoor camping lover, this tent is the perfect tent fabric choice.

badi1000

thanksss the best way to make more and more money www.wowlife.tk www.easymoneynow.tk