Thread: Ptarmie in Indian/Bird creeks?

Default Ptarmie in Indian/Bird creeks?

Have a couple of days off this week, and was wondering if there's any Ptarmigan around indian or bird creek. Never been small game hunting before, but I've got a sweet little 20 gauge, and I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it.

If you go above treeline you will probably find ptarmigan. The only grouse I have seen have been on the Arctic Valley side of the Arctic to Indian trail, I have never seen a grouse in Indian Creek Valley. I'm sure they're there, but they aren't easy to find.

Default I'll answer my own question

I climbed Bird Ridge in between Indian and Bird creek. I worked slow all the way up zigzagging to catch as much terrain as possible. Spent all day to no avail. Got one grouse, and that one took me by surprise.

I'm new to small game, can anybody send me in a better direction without giving away a sweet spot?

If you want grouse...go south. I see quite a few down on the K. Penn. when I'm down there. Just find a trail/woody area and go for it.

Good luck,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

What 20ga do you have? I just bought a new one myself. A Mossberg 500. I thought about throwing down the coin for a Beretta auto, but I just couldn't bring myself to blow $1000 on a grouse/ rabbit gun. Good luck huntin'!

I have a Single shot NEF Pardner in 12 and 20 gauge that I carry for small game, and a Remington 870 12 gauge for bigger critters and two legged boogers.

I just bought a NEF .410 single shot at Sportsman' wharehouse last week for $119.99. I figured it'd be the perfect grouse gun and I'd be able to boost my ego if I actually hit one flying with such a small load. I almost felt bad for the poor little things the previous trip when all I had with me was 12ga 3" #3's. They didn't move much after being hit with that. lol

As a bonus, the kids love shooting the .410 but the ammo isn't cheap.

I used to have a Winchester 9410 .410 ga lever gun. It was a beautiful gun, but was VERY picky about ammo type. It wouldn't feed several different brands without serious force on the lever. I sold it when I realized how crazy expensive .410 ammo is.

Sometimes I wish I still had the .410, but I figure 20ga #6s shouldn't mangle the critters too much. I love $20 boxes of 100 shells! It's the cheapest thing to shoot that I own besides my .22s!

Good luck hunting, all!

Default Bird Creek on Sat

How did you do?? I went down to Bird Creek and didn't see any on Sat but i was pretty nasty and windy.

Default I didn't do well at all

We went up bird ridge which is inbetween the two creeks, and spent the whole day climbing instead of hunting. Managed to take one Sprucie, but it was the only one we saw. I tried Girdwood today, and tomorrow I'm going to Palmer.

Maybe one day I'll find where all of these birds are hiding.