Thread: LH bolt .22

Default LH bolt .22

I'm a lefty looking for a bolt action .22. My choices seem to be the Savage, CZ, and Cooper for new guns and the rare used Kimber.

Savage has the reputation of being ugly but shooting well, folks seem to like their CZs, and the Kimber and Cooper are out of my price range.

I've seen new Savages under $200 and I think a CZ will be $350-400.

Give me your thoughts/opinions.
    Drink indigenous.

Remington also made a left handed bolt 22 for a while. I picked up a used one and it shoots good. It's not a bad knock around rifle.

Unfortunately the LH Rem 581's have now been collectibles and as such there value has been steadily climbing. I sold my last two for about $400 each.
    I also owned the Kimber, Cooper, CZ and Savages. The best combination of accuracy and class for the money is the CZ. But I doubt any of them will shoot better than a Cooper if each are tailored for the ammo that is best for that individual rifle.
    If you can afford it, get the CZ. The Savage will shoot just as well but is a tad crude.
    Spending more money will not necessarily get you a more accurate rifle. It will simply get you a classier one. I wished I could afford to buy more Cooper Custom Classic's!

Anschutz made some lefties a while back, not sure if they still do. They were about mid way in price between the savage and cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    I'm a lefty looking for a bolt action .22. My choices seem to be the Savage, CZ, and Cooper for new guns and the rare used Kimber.

Savage has the reputation of being ugly but shooting well, folks seem to like their CZs, and the Kimber and Cooper are out of my price range.

I've seen new Savages under $200 and I think a CZ will be $350-400.

Give me your thoughts/opinions.
    I've got a 581, a CZ and a Savage right now. Had Anschutz sporters in 22 and 22 mag and let them both go. Stupid! Never handled a Cooper. Never could afford a Kimber when the came around and always regretted it. But now that I've got the CZ, I've lost all interest in either the Kimber or the Cooper. I haven't shot either the Savage or the 581 since I got the CZ either.

In my book the CZ is just the right mix of looks, handling and accuracy. Just a whole lot of rifle for the buxx. It balances like a big game rifle with none of the whippy feel of light 22s, yet it's not too heavy for comfortable carry. It's dandy for offhand field shots. Mine will meet or beat half inch groups at 50 yards with just about anything you stuff into the chamber. It does a bunch better than that with particular brands it really likes, and I'm not just talking the match stuff. There are several brands or varieties of cheaper loads that shoot almost as well as Eley match. I'd be using the Eley if I was compeating, but it's really nice to get virtually the same accuracy with cheaper stuff in the field.

BTW- CZ and one other sell trigger kits for it. I ordered and installed the CZ just before the second one (can't remember who now) came out. The CZ costs a little more than the second one, but it's great. I hear the same thing about the other brand too.

In my book the trigger work turns the CZ into the perfect field rifle. The factory trigger is a little more European than I like, but that can be fixed now. Don't let the feel of the trigger stop you from buying the CZ if you like everything else about it.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I thought I remembered Snowolfe & BrownBear as fellow southpaws.

I'm sure the Savage would work but it's just too coarse for my taste. If they would slim the grip it would be a closer race. Sounds like the CZ is what I'll be looking for.

OK, question two - I suppose the Leupold 2-7 rimfire is just the ticket for the CZ, or is the Weaver rimfire comparable?

Thanks again.
    Drink indigenous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I thought I remembered Snowolfe & BrownBear as fellow southpaws.

I'm sure the Savage would work but it's just too coarse for my taste. If they would slim the grip it would be a closer race. Sounds like the CZ is what I'll be looking for.

OK, question two - I suppose the Leupold 2-7 rimfire is just the ticket for the CZ, or is the Weaver rimfire comparable?

Thanks again.
    If you get the CZ you'll have only one regret. The dirty so-an-so's have been promising lefty versions of their large centerfires for over 2 years now and they still haven't come through!!! And you're sure going to want one after owning the 22. Lots of interesting calibers (other than 06, 270, 7mm and 300) on their general caliber list, and if they're smart when they finally bring out a lefty centerfire, they'll offer them in things like 6.5x55 and others. I'm sick of rebarreling to get lefties in the calibers I want---- the same goshdarned calibers that everyone else can buy off the shelf!

But I figure the more lefties they sell in small calibers, the more incentive they have to follow through on the big ones. So buy that CZ 22!!!!

Default Scopes

I have a Leupold 2-7 on my LH Kimber and love it. The wife has a Leupold 4 on her RH Kimber and it works great for her. I have another LH Kimber I picked up at the factory auction (2nd sale) that I will scope when I retire...soon!...and I think it will have the Leupold 2-7. Several other hunting Leupolds that I'm happy with.

I have a SS Ruger 10/22 with a Weaver 2-7 on it. {Don't want to get the Kimber wet!} The whole "guts" started to float around inside the scope. I sent it in and they sent me a new scope. My other Weavers have been trouble free. I have a 6X that has great glass. I liked it so much that I picked up a 1-3 for my slug barrel. The 1-3 was not nearly as "clear" as the 6X.

I vote for the Weaver 2x7 or 3x9 rimfire scopes. Even though I own and shoot a ton of Leupolds I went with the Weaver rimfire scopes starting last year. I never had a bit of problems with any of them and to my eyes they are just as clear, if not clearer than any Leupolds I own including the Leupold 3x9 Rimfire scope I also own. Wife and son currently have the Weavers on there Kimbers and son and I both have one on our Savage .22 Magnums (which are absolute tack drivers with the Rem 33 grain loads)

Save a ton of money and go with the Weavers. I think the last Weaver 3x9 Rimfire scope cost me about $230 from an online vendor. They are bascially warranted for life as are the Leupolds.

If you get the CZ you'll have only one regret. The dirty so-an-so's have been promising lefty versions of their large centerfires for over 2 years now and they still haven't come through!!!
    I held off getting a rifle for as long as I could because I wanted a LH CZ 550 and ended up getting a Tikka instead. I don't regret getting the Tikka, but I have a thing for Mauser actions and the CZ comes pretty close.
    Now what ?