Thread: Wich one AC700 or Suzuki 750AXI...

Default Wich one AC700 or Suzuki 750AXI...

After pouring over the data (I havn't driven the Suzuki) I simply can't decide between the two! I will drive them both this weekend but man why is it this hard? I can't find any info on the fuel milage between the two. Whichever I get it will be set up with 27" mudlites and a winch off the dealer floor.

Both machines will run me about 8K out the door fully set up.
    The AC weighs almost 100lbs more but has more ground clearance, more suspension travel and a MUCH larger tank. I know the AC is hard to steer on the tight trails but the Suzuki is also reported to be "twitchy" at speed. My buddy flipped his cat first run out and feels that it is fairly tippy but worth it when it comes to getting through the bogs. I like the Diff lock controls on the Suzuki better. I think the racks on the AC are bigger....

You get the idea! anything else I need to consider to help me decide?

WHat are you using it for Lujon? Personally I would look at the new Suzuki King Quad with the power steering. 100 lbs is a big difference in weight between the 2 and ground clearance shouldn't be THAT much between them.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    WHat are you using it for Lujon? Personally I would look at the new Suzuki King Quad with the power steering. 100 lbs is a big difference in weight between the 2 and ground clearance shouldn't be THAT much between them.
    I will be using it for pretty standard stuff, huntng, trail riding etc. Most my hunting areas require some sort of swamp crossing so capability in the mud is important, but not to the detriment of being able to navigate tight trails in the woods without having to back up to get around every other corner. I will be doing most of the major trails and will be doing some pretty steep climbing like Baldy or Monument.

Default What to get

Just get the new Polaris 6x6 800 with shaft drive so I can try it out. That'll be my next wheeler. That way you can drive two people in the box over some of the roughest stuff and kick them out and haul out the moose after you knock down that bullwinkle. Having driven the newer Arctic Cats and Suzukis (both in 500 versions) fairly extensively I'd have to give the edge to Suzuki for all round use. Seems more sure footed due to the lower center of gravity (lower ground clearance) and less willing to get up on just two or three wheels when going over the tussocks or crashing through the alders. Although like you mentioned the ACs have larger racks. Glad to see you are getting tires and winch before even leaving the dealer though. A winch is just about the best upgrade anyone can get on a wheeler. Hands down way more important then tires.

I don't know if you are interested in use, but there are also some pretty good deals on craigslist right now that could easily save ya a couple Gs or more:

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/864065866.html

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/862583243.html

Not a big fan of the Arctic Cat myself so I wouldn't even consider one. I'd test ride either the King Quad or the Grizzly 700 and go from there. Personally I don't see the need for a 700 or a 750 big bored machine as I don't go much over 40 mph and I do basically the same riding as you and my 450 Foreman does quite well in all those situaitions though a tad more ground clearance would be nice. Maybe you should take a gander at the 550 Grizz and see if that will do what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Not a big fan of the Arctic Cat myself so I wouldn't even consider one. I'd test ride either the King Quad or the Grizzly 700 and go from there. Personally I don't see the need for a 700 or a 750 big bored machine as I don't go much over 40 mph and I do basically the same riding as you and my 450 Foreman does quite well in all those situaitions though a tad more ground clearance would be nice. Maybe you should take a gander at the 550 Grizz and see if that will do what you need.
    I am dead set on EFI and I actually thought a good bit on getting one of the new 550's but honestly you can get a last year model 700-750 for about the same price. I do see your point on the smaller quads I am currently putting around on a stock fourtrax 300 and havn't been left behind on the trails yet. I guess there is a little bit of me that wants to water wheelie my way to places I probably shouldn't go...

LuJon,

I ride with a buddy that has a 2007 Arctic Cat 700 EFI Limited Edition. He has 27" ITP XTRs, Clutch Kit, HMF Penland Series Slip-on Pipe, and HMF Optimizer (fuel controller)...with all that done, his bike will perform excatly to same as my stock 2007 Grizzly 700 wit 26" ITP Mudlite XLs. We run the same trails at the same speeds, hit the same mud holes with the same results, and climb the same inclines. The difference is in the power steering on the Grizzly. At the end of the day, I don't feel it like he does.

I'm not trying to push you toward the Grizzly but I would say "give it a try". The power steering does make that much difference!

To try and be fair here...the things I do like about the Arctic Cat is the width between the tires and the ground clearance. The difference in ground clearance between my friend's AC 700 and my Grizzly 700 is about an inch (in the AC's favor...due to tire size and psi). The difference in width measured laterally between the tires is about 1.5inches (AC's more) but looking at the two up close it looks like the difference is greater.

To me, the biggest down side to the AC 700 (for me) is the weight and actual size of the machine. The Grizzly feels nimble and light where the AC 700 feels heavy and lathargic in the technical stuff. In the wide open, the performance is about the same (his machine with mods and my machine in stock form with 26" tires).

I have heard great things about the Suzuki but I have no experience on them so I can't speak to it.

Honestly, I think each machine will perform at the same level and each has their advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to what works for you. Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I say go to the dealership, fire up both of them, climb all over each, and then test drive em and you will know which one you want. Some of the differences are immediately obvious. There was a guy on here who started a thread about needing tire suggestions because his new AC was tippy, and thats what my immediate reaction was to the AC's also. They sit real high and they have very stiff suspensions, but they have the best GC, strongest racks and are awesome mudding machines. The thing is that with any bike, mods can be done to better the machine in any aspect that it may not shine in. Ground Clearance can be increased with bigger tires, power can be regained from te bigger tires with a clutch kit, rack extensions can be bolted on. Theres lots of accessory suspension parts to either stiffen or lighten the suspension as well as the steering. So I say start with the bike that feels best and go from there. My $.02 is that the Grizzly and the King Quad provide very similar performance, and are much closer in design than the AC and the King Quad.

Heres a couple pics of my KQ, was out looking for bears yesterday, crossed the tracks of a dandy but couldn't find him as he headed into the spruce. The weather changed for the worst awful quick yesterday. Almost was forced to spend the night on the Denali (blizzard), but luckily got out of there before the you know what hit the fan.

I wouldn't even consider an Arctic Cat, especially with the intentions of comparing them to a King Quad.

When I bought my then new Arctic Cat, it was the first time in my life I was wondering if I would have been better off buying used.........

Well I went to check out the Yammi dealer today and I think I have had a change of heart. I am going a totally different direction and unless someone gives me a great reason to change my mind (again) I am going to buy a Big Bear 400 tomorrow. It will ultimately be my wifes machine and she really likes it (which is what really matters). In the long run I will order exactly what I want but this one will fit the budget better for the moment. It is plenty capable of carting me arround for the rest of the season and my wife will be able to plow the driveway with it. I am getting it outfitted with mud lites, winch, plow and heated hand grips. Now that the wife is happy I have the winter to figure out what I want for next year. Whatever I finally decide to get I am going to order it pretty much exactly how I want it!