Thread: No Excuses bullets came through.....

Default No Excuses bullets came through.....

Well, it was a GREAT hunt and the No Excuses bullets came through!!!

I was in a spot calling all morning where it was foggy as hell. It got to a point that I couldnt see more than 30 or 40 feet in front of me. I had heard a bull thrashing brush a ways out earlier, so I dedided to beat some brush to see if I could find anything- wound up tracking a small bull for about 3 hours. He disappeared like a fart in the wind. Mind you that this was my first moose hunt and I am absolutely AMAZED that something so darn big can still move without making any sound! Still blows my mind.

Anyways, I was close to my truck and the fog was starting to lift so I grabbed a quick bite to eat and crept back into the same spot I had been calling from. I was there for about an hour and was stepped on by two other hunters- in their defense I dont think they knew I was there. when they left the wind had changed and they walked the wrong way through the area I was hunting. To calm down I took off to cruise some timber and do some bull calls from a different spot, and came back about 45 minutes later and there he was thrashing the grass with his antlers and grunting at the trees. I figured there was another bull in the trees trying to move in on his turf but I wasnt waiting to find out. I gave him one in the left shoulder, and he didnt even flinch! I thought I heard it hit, but I have been wrong before. (BTW he was about 100 yards out) Reloaded and gave him another one in the same spot with the same results. He was still thrashing the grass!!!! Gave him a third one, and when he tried to walk forward he limped and fell on the ground. I was so fired up that I didnt realize that i didnt have any speedloaders left! I moved forward about 20 ft to a tree to reload my gun and the speed loaders just in case, and he stood up again and was really pissed! He was thrashing and grunting even more, but this time he had turned and showed me his other side- bang. See the previous result...... By this time I was starting to second guess my bullet selection. (turned out to be a good choice because I had crushed both shoulders and both lungs- he was just very tenacious) Gave him one more and he went down again. I waited for about 15 minutes before I tried to move up to him, and as I got within about 50 feet, the wind was in my face and I could see the tips of his antlers moving and his belly moving up and down. Then he tried to let out another grunt but it was very gurgled so I knew it was only gonna be a matter of time so I waited him out. Not 2 minutes later he had expired.

When I first saw him I was still in disbelief in the size of him. I started the season with the mindset that this would be a learning experience at best and hoped for a spike fork at best to put some meat in the freezer. I never expected something like this. As I was looking at him, I heard another grunt from the trees, so I walked around this spruce tree and I was about 10 feet from another little paddle bull! I stood there grunting back and forth with him for another 5 minutes before he lost interest and took off. All in all this was one of the greatest experiences of my life! But the "kid in a candy store" feeling quickly faded when I was about halfway finished with skinning and quartering when I got a phone call saying my wife had been taken to the hospital. It was my neighbor who called and said that my wife had told her not to tell me anything until I was finished because she wanted me to get my moose! What a woman!!! Well it was a bittersweet ending to the day that I will never forget twofold. So that is my story, hope yall enjoyed it!

Remington Genesis .50 cal
    No Excuses 495 gr conical
    80gr 777
    Remington kleenbore primer

PS. Thanks to everyone that helped me out during all of this, and also to you Marc- your books helped alot!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dandy!

Did you happen to recover any of the bullets? Sure love to see pics and hear about retained weight.

Default bullet recovery....

I didnt recover any of the bullets, but the meat is at the butcher and he knows that I want the bullets back if he finds any. I looked when I was field butchering, but after that I was busy back and forth at the hospital. If I get any back I'll post them on here- but what I do know is that all shots were between 90 and 110 yds and every one of them hit him really hard resulting in both front shoulders breaking.

Congrats on the Bull!
    I hope all well with your wife.