Thread: Flotation for Polaris 6x6?

Default Flotation for Polaris 6x6?

My hunting partner sunk my Polaris 6x6 with tracks. Has anybody added flotation to a 6x6 and if so do you have picture?

What do you mean "sunk" it?? Completely submerged or drown out in a bit too deep of water? I've taken mine for a swim or two over the years (just ask Blink, I think he has a picture ....). I haven't seen anyone make floats for a 6x6 yet, I did see something for a 4x4 though.... I'll see if I can dig it up for ya.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A welding buddy of mine made a aluminum bracket that clipped in by the foot rest and stuck out 3ft on both sides, from there they added large truck innertubes undernieth the fram and ran them across several lakes and ponds on a moose hunt. They got to where no one has been before and took 5 nice bulls out of 6 hunters. I'll try to draw it up and scan it for you to see. Worked slick they said.

Default Adding a tube

would float it but how would you make it move? Especially with tracks? Would they have enough "traction" in the water to move it? Paddles?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

You have a interesting question, never thought about how to move my ATV once its floating. My options are a paddle, long rope or a long pole and it may be possible the track will give enough movement to get me across 100 yards of water.

I need to first figure out how to make a stable floating 6x6.

If my caluations are correct 10 cu feet of floatation will float 600#. The tires will add some flotation, how to mount and where to put the flotation to make a stable 6x6 is my biggest problem at this time. I think 4, 15 tires mounted on all 4 sides is the best way to go. I have no doubt Murphys law will tell me what Im doing wrong, hes such a good friend.

I think you will have to mount the pontoons (or whatever you go with) significantly forward on the machine to get it to float somewhat level. The 4 big tires in the rear (not much weight back there unloaded) might provide enough flotation for the rear, but the front will be another issue. Smaller tires and considerably more weight will take a lot more additional flotation. Maybe a couple of those tubes from a one person catamaran could be used....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I think the pontoons is the way to go

I think Mud hit it there.
    Would one of the tube sets and frame from a one man pontoon support I wonder?? I'ld have to look at a frame but can't you slide the frame attachments back and forth on the tubes? Adapt the frame to extend from (or go through) the wheeler.
    Should have awesome side to side stability, not sure on the fore and aft/
    Now that I think about it I believe I have seen pics or video of a rig that might have used the pontoons like this, but can't remember where.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Here ya go. Not very practical IMHO, but it works.

The rig really starts moving at the end, I was surprised!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09aVtcUjo5Y