Thread: need shipping help

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default need shipping help

We have found another puppy to fill the order we had with frank, but need help on how to get it shipped here? it will be coming from Demoins Iowa, I have never shipped one from out of state before and the breeder is a family guy not a professional breeder and is also having difficulties with the logistics of shipping to Alaska, can some one point us in the right direction?

thanks
    Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Start checking with the airline schedules to find out who has the best connections from there to here. Then talk to them about "counter to counter" shipping for a pet. It means you drop the dog off at the counter in the terminal, not at the cargo dept- same for pick-up. A little more money, but less weather restrictions and the dog is in the crate for a shorter period of time.

I have done this a few times, but not in the last 3 years, so make sure to talk to people, record names, and find it in writing on their websites- not all of the folks at the counter will be familiar with their procedures.

When I picked up a pup 2 years ago I just got a mileage ticket for myself and let the airline know I would have a pup with me in the cabin on the way back. You just need a small carrier that meets their regulations for carry-on and to let them know that you will have the pup in the cabin---- they only let one or two in the cabin.

Good luck.
    Doug

Default Vince...

Check with the airline for requirements that the breeder has to have prior to checking the dog in for the flight such as:

Recent Health certificate (Usually no more that 30 days old).

kennel size vs. dog. (Dog has to be able to stand up without touching it's back on the Ceiling.)

Food and water ussually have to be mounted to the crate door.

If the temp. is colder in Fairbanks and the airline can't deliver the animal in most cases Anchorage can.

Unfortantly, this is all the breeders responsiblity for shipping the dog on their side. The best you can do is ensure that they know what they need and offer to help in anyway to recieve your buddy.

It's been a long time since I had a dog shipped...things may have changed.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

moosehunter,

nope, your right. We just got back from our Nationals with our girl Amber (100 lbs) and these were the same requirements.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks i think the wife is off and running now!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I shipped my yellow lab you saw when you came by Vince.She came up from Mo. But it looks like you have plenty of knowledge now,but If you need any help let me know.I'll even loan ya a kennel to have your dog shipped up,altho I ahd my breeder down there go and buy one and tack that onto my cost.

But for me between the breeder and us calling the airlines,we gathered the info and what airline to put her on and sent that to the breeder and she did the rest,it was simple and so easy going thru her it was a blessing.Pup showed up in great health and three women loving on her when I went to the airport. ANyhow let me know If you need to ship a kennel down to them or not.Daniel

thanks Daniel will do!!!! not sure how many kennels i need to own , here any way.. i have a large one now would that be better ? or would he get bounced around in it?

meet on face book here

He'll be fine in that big one.All they state is he has to be able to stand up with out his back hitting the top.BUt see If it will be cheaper to buy one down there and have it shipped with the pup versus shipping this one down only to have it shipped back.

Thats why I offered to loan you one,both of mine are large kennels also.Call the breeder and see what they will do for you.Like I said my breeder ships alot and handles alot for us.It was good doing buisness with her.Let me know how it goes bud.Daniel

Hey Vince,

Its actually cheaper the smaller the kennel is. They will charge you by the size of the kennel or the total weight of dog and kennel, so it would probably be better to have the breeder purchase a small kennel that he fits into. You also wont have to pay to get your big one down there to them.
    One thing we did for our puppy buyers is that we kept an eye on garage sales and bought them there. That saved a few dollars for them. I can't see the kennel that he would need being anymore than $40 or so brand new. Ask them if they have a used kennel they can spare? Maybe purchase an old one they have laying around.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default cost?

What is the going rate? I was just quoted $487 for a 50lb Karelian, from Billings to Anch. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    What is the going rate? I was just quoted $487 for a 50lb Karelian, from Billings to Anch. Does that sound right?
    cost us 275.00 with a medium crate. from omaha... we went to Continental at first and wound up on Northwest at the last moment... and i drove to anchorage to get him...Ak air really socks it to you out of seattle... check all the airlines to ANCH..and plan a trip there. try getting your dog shipped out of Spokane WA or kalispel. thats how we found out to ship from Omaha.. we just asked the airline about nearby cities. and rates... so pup was drove from Desmoins IA. to Omaha.. and Continental was by far the cheapest.

meet on face book here

Contenental AIR... dog shipping = 800-575-3335 wife said call them and see if they ship out of mt...

meet on face book here

Default Thanks!

Well I did not get it down to your price, but they quoted me $340! I love this site!