Thread: November Haul Road

Default November Haul Road

Just curious if anyone has tried to do a bowhunt on the haul road iin November. I know all about the conditions that go along with it but would just like to know how many people have done it and were you successfull. Where is the herd usually around that timeframe ? Thanks in advance

Default Brrrrrrrrr!

I dont know anyone personally thats hunted NOv up there.Seems like everyone waits for that Dec Steese hunt.

Both my buddy and I tagged out off the steese so we are thinking about the November timeframe for a hunt....

Default Novemebr Bou

A few years ago I went up during Thanksgiving week, it was about -20 +/-. The animals were packed into the north side of Atigun pass, there were several thousand right there. Groups of 5-20 and not too spooky,

Lessons learned were that there is VERY short daylight to play with (long time in tent or truck) and to get the meat back as quickly as possible to prevent freezing. I gutted my bou, rolled him on a sled for the 1/4 mile trip to the truck, and winched him into the bed under the cap and headed home. I've always been told it is important to prevent freezing to preserve the quality of the meat.

Default freezing

I don't know about caribou - but I have had deer and elk freeze on me with absolutely no harm to the meat at all...many times. Get the guts out and you should be good.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I don't know about caribou - but I have had deer and elk freeze on me with absolutely no harm to the meat at all...many times. Get the guts out and you should be good.

i agree fully, most don't realize the steak you order at the restaurant has been froze and thawed several times before it hits your plate... each time it thaws it losses a little more blood.. Living on the homestead we let the quarters freeze whole and cut portions off as we needed it. with out any worries.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default 3 times

I've been up there 4 times now in November and every time has been very unique, except for coming home empty handed. The first time, there were ~ 300 caribou up the West Fork of Atigun River that we walked past to get to 5 miles out where there was one small group of caribou that outsmarted us. Aside from those caribou, there was nothing visible from the road all the way up to Toolik Lake.
    The next time I didn't venture over the pass due to extremely low temps and high winds so I hunted Chandalar Shelf. Again, I passed caribou on my way out to 5 miles where there were no caribou or any recent sign.
    Next time, a buddy and I went up and froze our butts off and saw a lot of caribou along the road between Atigun Pass and Galbraith Lake but nothing 5 miles out up West Fork Atigun or behind Galbraith Lake. Chandalar Shelf had caribou but only close to the road.
    The last time I was bowhunting up by PS 2 and there were a few small groups of caribou moving around. No other caribou between Slope Mountain and Atigun Pass, nor any north of PS 2 to Icecut. We made a few stalks but never quite got close enough. So 0 for 4 on caribou in November but lots of good times.
    Bottom line is don't count on anything in regards to the caribou. If you are bowhunting, you'll likely find some or several hundred near the road. If rifle hunting, you may or may not see caribou 5 miles out. Wish I could report some definite patterns but based on my 4 trips, its just typical caribou behavior.

I killed my one and only Haul Road caribou on Nov 2nd a few years ago. I like it up there that time of year. Nice and quiet without any competition. I lucked out and shot mine 10 miles south of Coldfoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images