Thread: Russian River

Talking Russian River

Hi everyone. I will be in Sterling Thursday to start a week of fishing and just wondering how the Russian and other rivers are doing. ie:Quartz,Kenai. Any advice or hot tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Default Russian

I'll be down there for about 5 days as well so can't wait, I may hit the Quartz as well after Kenia/Russian days..

Fishing has been good on all the rivers. The Russian offered sparse rainbows but when you hit one they were typically large and lively. Quartz is producing its typical numbers of Dollies. The Kenai has been awsome ... whether hiking in or floating, the upper river has been great this past week. As for tips: on the Kenai fish the shallow gravel bars from begining to end, focusing on the trail out where eggs are likely to flow with the current. For the Russian - hike into the falls and walk the river back to the camp ground fishing everything in between. For Quartz - just put anything that even resembles a bead on and try not to wear your arm out!

Thanks AKUNITED! I appreciate the info. I catch a plane this am for Anchorage then down to Sterling via car. Fishing on Thursday!!

I'm thinking of heading there on Tue. I had planned for a duck hnt but I still have the fishing blood in me
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I fished there friday afternoon, caught about 40 fish in 5 hours. It was the first time fishing the russian in a long time, once i found the right color i would catch a fish every other cast. I also caught a really nice silver too, released it though.

I'm assuming you were using beads. If so, what color were you using?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I started off using an orange with a little white painted on it, and it did OK, then i found a pink bead that had a little white mixed into the plastic and used that and they hit it hard. The fish weren't that big, but they sure did fight. I tried 10 and 8mm beads, but the only thing they would hit was 6mm. I never tried any flies since I was rigged up with only beads.

Thanks. I'm looking at going down monday.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You should get into some pretty good fishing. I tried the upper river and didn't see a fish in the river or one gettin caught. Only in the lower part around the confluence i saw fish and caught them. I would have stayed longer but we got chased out of there by two grizzly's walking up the river. I did get some pretty good pictures though. Hopefuly they aren't there next weekend to chase me out again!

I will be down there tomorrow fishing down from grayling parking
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK