Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka Ascent Pants

Default Sitka Ascent Pants

Does anyone know if these pants come in solid colors and if so, where i can buy them? i have read that they do, but have yet to find a place that sells them.

thanks

Email Sitka, or call, they are pretty good at getting back to you. I wish they would bring back the original Mt Pants (w/ better construction). I would love a pair of those in a solid color, as long as they held together.... Great design, but man were they put together poorly...

i called them and they didn't have any picture to email me of the "dune" ascent pants, which i thought to be a little strange. how do you sell something and not be able to advertise what they look like? ordered a pair in dune from them. will see how they are. i didn't want something that was too "light" in color.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    i called them and they didn't have any picture to email me of the "dune" ascent pants, which i thought to be a little strange. how do you sell something and not be able to advertise what they look like? ordered a pair in dune from them. will see how they are. i didn't want something that was too "light" in color.
    Interesting, please post some pics when you get them.

well i got the pants in 'dune' color directly from Sitka. had to send them back. the zippered pocket on the right thigh, when you opened it, it was sewn shut. there was enough space for literally one cigarette (and I don't smoke!). i thought at first "did they put this zipper in just for looks?" i thought that was pretty lame if they did, as it only takes up weight. so i called them and they said there should be enough room for a wallet. so i sent them back, and should get a new pair next week some time. the pants felt and looked great and they felt like the material would dry pretty quickly. i'll post a pic when i get them and give them a test to see how well they dry. the main problem with them is that none of the pockets, except that thigh zipper pocket, have closures, just overhanging flaps. somethings i can trust to that, but there is stuff i carry that i would prefer not to lose. and when you're bushwacking, etc, there is plenty of instances for stuff to fall out. so, i plan on putting in some type of closue system on at least two pockets. if they work out well, i will also get a pair in mountain mimicry. stay tuned.

well i got the pants in 'dune' color directly from Sitka. had to send them back. the zippered pocket on the right thigh, when you opened it, it was sewn shut. there was enough space for literally one cigarette (and I don't smoke!). i thought at first "did they put this zipper in just for looks?" i thought that was pretty lame if they did, as it only takes up weight. so i called them and they said there should be enough room for a wallet. so i sent them back, and should get a new pair next week some time. the pants felt and looked great and they felt like the material would dry pretty quickly. i'll post a pic when i get them and give them a test to see how well they dry. the main problem with them is that none of the pockets, except that thigh zipper pocket, have closures, just overhanging flaps. somethings i can trust to that, but there is stuff i carry that i would prefer not to lose. and when you're bushwacking, etc, there is plenty of instances for stuff to fall out. so, i plan on putting in some type of closue system on at least two pockets. if they work out well, i will also get a pair in mountain mimicry. stay tuned.
    I too wish they pockets could be more secure. I am considering adding a button as they are quiet and hold pretty reliably....

There's lots of non-camo softshell pants out there. What do you want them for?

If it's for pure function for hiking, climbing, most snow sports, camping, etc, Helly Hansen's Odin pant is a lot more pants for $200 than Sitka for $150 IMHO:

http://www.hellyhansen.com/products/.../OdinGuidePant

MH, TNF, Marmot, REI, Mammut, Patagucci, etc - all have different cuts and styles of softshell pants for different activities.

I'm partial to the Helly because they have a company-owned store in Seward. I also own the Odins (1 year) and they are bomber.

Good luck!

Default Not quite the perfect pant - yet

Agree with 1911-MW, Sitka at least will talk to you. Shoot em an email. Not a great year otherwise though. They use good, functional materials, but some probs with their design changes, quality of assembly, inventory /delivery caused by their probs with their manufacturer this year. In the go-round I had with them this year, Ascent in Dune was one alternate selection I believe they sold but were out of.

They still have solids (DUNE) on their website. Order them and see if they're in stock. Good luck.

Default Here's a different choice - in brown

http://www.sporthill.com/product.php...=1650&gender=m

As Ishmael said, lots of options if you want to consider other pants. I used these (Expedition pants) this year - 5 stars by me - fit well, worked well, tough wearing, had roomy cargo pockets and belt loops. Big guys seem not to like the fit though.

I looked at those Sporthills at REI. While they get rave reviews, i have to say that they felt like glorified sweatpants. And $165 for them seemed a bit much. But everyone seems to really like them so they must to a good job out in the field.

Do they dry fast? feeling that fabric, to me it seemed they would not dry that quick.

Default temp?

I would also have a question about the temp ratings on the pants and are they accurate?

I looked at those Sporthills at REI. While they get rave reviews, i have to say that they felt like glorified sweatpants. And $165 for them seemed a bit much. But everyone seems to really like them so they must to a good job out in the field.

Do they dry fast? feeling that fabric, to me it seemed they would not dry that quick.
    I own a set of 3sp and I am not impressed... I agree with your sweatpants statement, I wore them only on one short hunt and I found them too hot. They do dry reasonably fast (unless you are sweating constantly!!) but not nearly as fast as the sitka pants. I think they would be the perfect pant for cross country skiing or as an underlayer for snow machining. After my sitka pants fell apart I bought these and after 1 hunt with these I bought a set of Sportsmans Warehouse brand pants for 40 bucks. The 40 dollar pants have outlasted the Sitka and dry just as fast plus they don't make me sweat through. It is not that the SW gear is that great it is that the Sitka is that BAD!

Lujon, the sitka mountain pants, 90% or ascent pants?

Lujon, the sitka mountain pants, 90% or ascent pants?
    I have the mountain pants and I am returning them for the Ascent, I am also sending back my 90% jacket because the zipper is comming loose...

Default Different strokes, and different conditions too...

Conditions: I wore them for 8 days in low swamp terrain; clear days, temps 40's to 60's, infrequent light rain. One warm day, I changed into light nylon convertible pants when we got back to camp to be cooler, then back into the SportHills for evening hunt.

PROS: Breathability was great; noticed especially when hiking in Impertechs. Dried fast. Got wet a couple times, but on morning hikes through wet willows/alders with gear, it was simpler to skip Impertech pants and let SportHills dry when the sun came up. Comfortable. Fit me well (5'9", 170). Belt loops accomodate my 1.5" leather belt. Vertical cargo pockets with closures (and not velcro). Stretch material kept them from binding at all during climbing (over trees, out of mud!). Quiet in brush; hiking or just accessing pockets, etc.

CONS: Occasionally too warm. Not a great looking garment - I passed these up initially in favor of the 90% Pants. I doubt they're water resistant, which the 90% (and other DWR type pants) are.

They're polypropylene based, which accounts for breathability and insulation properties. The soft surface finish and thin fleece liner do resemble sweat pants. Maybe that's why they were so comfortable. The ideal pant seems to depend on several factors (fit, conditions, activity, etc), but on this hunt, with good weather, almost no rain and frequent hikes with gear, the ugly sporthills surprised me. I never wore the 90% Pants I took for backups, but on another hunt, Sitka's water resistance could be a big advantage.

From SportHill's website about 3SP fabric:
    3SP
    **NOTE: 3SP contains .... 85% Polypropylene/15% Lycra Super-soft and densely spun polypropylene, we call this the miracle fabric because it performs so well in a wide variety of conditions. Itís the perfect balance of wind resistance, breathability, evaporation, insulation and ventilation. The soft interior and added stretch make this fabric the ultimate single layer protection for cold and extreme conditions. 3SP is a trademark of SportHill, Inc.

Anyway, good luck finding the pants you want.

thanks for the product review, good insight into the pants. they did seem a bit thick/warm for the peak of summer. looks like they might be a good late summer/fall pant

I would put them as a solid fall-late fall pant and even then only if you are not going to be working very hard. They just are not a good mountain pant in my experiance just too hot for backpacking. I would rather have a lighter pant to wear while packing with a base insulating layer for less arduous days. Man I sure like the sitka pants, too bad mine fell apart.. The one thing I won't argue is that the 3sp are extremely quiet. I want to try the arborwear pants from cabelas and the Mammut Champ pants. To me the Champ pants seem like they would be more durable than the sitka gear and not as hot as the Sporthill. Well something to try next year I guess!

Just got another set of pants as well, the OR (outdoor research) Exos pants. wore them out yesterday. they felt great. thin, so probably good for summer. i wore them with some thin capilene long underwear and they worked great. seem to dry pretty well. come in tan and black. i have the tan ones. time will tell how durable they are. i slid down on my butt several times to get down slope quicker on a steep alpine slope with grass, minimal small rocks and while there were no tears, you can tell the fabric didn't like it much. the synthetic material started to pile up a little in tha area. a little pricey at $165.

have field tested the ascent pants in winter conditions hiking for ptarmigan. wearing OR croc gators at the time. wore capilene long underwear bottoms underneath. these pants worked great. kept just the right temp (outside temp was around 20). didn't sweat much and didn't get cold when i stopped. they stay dry too. when i took my gators off, all the evaporation from the covered area normally freezes on the inside of the gortex, and this happened this time, but my pants are normally just a little wet around that area, not soaked. this time, my pants were completely dry. great pants. also come with removable suspenders, which helps. some of the best hiking pants i have had.

I have not used the Ascent pants enough to fully endorse them yet, but I do like them so far. They are water resistant, but not enough to handle long steady rainfalls or lots of hiking in wet brush.

My proposed solution?
    http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/r...lite-chaps.cfm

What do you think? IMO, they seem light, would breathe well (nice and "airy"), and combined with gaiters and a decent rain jacket would get one by... No substitue for the rubber rain gear, but for those concerned about weight these might be an option. I think they would really compliment the Ascent pants.... ????
    Last edited by 1911-MW; 12-16-2008 at 08:49. Reason: typo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast