Thread: If you could have onlyone powder for the 358 Morma what would it be?

Default If you could have onlyone powder for the 358 Morma what would it be?

I've got tons of handgun powder around, but not much of a selection ofrifle powders.
    Funds are skimpy so I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I know I'll probably end up experiementing a bit, but what powder have you guys had the best experience with behind 225 (primary weight) or maybe 250 gr bullets?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I've got tons of handgun powder around, but not much of a selection ofrifle powders.
    Funds are skimpy so I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I know I'll probably end up experiementing a bit, but what powder have you guys had the best experience with behind 225 (primary weight) or maybe 250 gr bullets?
    Way back when I owned my own 358 (a really sweet Schultz and Larson in a custom stock, which I greatly regret selling), the hot ticket was 4350 with 250 grain bullets. They weren't around back then, but if I had to guess one of the slower RL powders would be at least as good or probably even better. Someone with new info needs to chime in on those, but I doubt you could go wrong with 4350 even today.

Well so far 4350 seems the overwhelming choice BrownBear
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Powder

I have had good results with both 4350 and RL 19. I tend to use the RL 19 more. If you do a search on this site,(if you already haven't), you will find some good load info for the 358 Norma. If you would like, I could dig out my notes and get you some info.

My 350 rigby, which has just a hair less case capacity than the Norma seems to like Varget. I would also suspect RL 15 to work well.

I tried H-4350 and the accuracy wasn't nearly as good as varget, and the recoil was much stronger despite identicle velocities.

Default 358 Norma

I have used a bunch of different powders but for the last 15 yrs IMR 4895 is my favorite. It is accurate and meters like a dream.
    I tend to use more than enough gun

Thanks for the info guys. It will be fun to play with over the winter.

Watrrat, it's encouraging to see someone mention 4895. Its the only powder Hodgon lists for the 358 that I have a pound of on hand so that's where I'm starting. 4350 will probably be next unless 4895 works like a dream.
    At max load with 250 gr bullets H4895 is only listed as 42fps less velocity than H4350, but 10 gr less powder which should not only mean better economy, but also less recoil. Of course accuracy will be the deciding factor.
    Vance in AK.

I like H4895 for bullets up to 250 grains. It gets good velocities, excellent accuracy and with less recoil than the slower burners which need 10 grains more to do the job.

Past 250grain bullets I like RL19

275 Grain Barnes Originals at 2700ft/sec really do a nice job!

Thanks North61!
    That's good news. Would you mind sharing your load data with me?
    If anyone else would also I'd really appreciate it. I have Hodgdon & Speers data but am always looking for more. You can email it to me or psend a PM here if you prefer, & I will of course start lower & work up knowing that your load may not be safe in my rifle etc., etc. :-)
    I just loaded up 10 rds with Speer Hot-Core 250s (couldn't find any partitions yet-everyone was out) & 63 gr of H4895 (Hodgdon book calls for 61-65) & hopefully today we'll see how that works.
    Vance in AK.

Thanks North61!
    If anyone else would also I'd really appreciate it. I have Hodgdon & Speers data but am always looking for more. You can email it to me or psend a PM here if you prefer, & I will of course start lower & work up knowing that your load may not be safe in my rifle etc., etc. :-)
    I just loaded up 10 rds with Speer Hot-Core 250s (couldn't find any partitions yet-everyone was out) & 63 gr of H4895 (Hodgdon book calls for 61-65) & hopefully today we'll see how that works.
    Speer's Hot Cores weren't around in the (ancient) days when I owned my 358 Norma, but I've sure used a lot of them on game in the years since. In every caliber I've tried they've been really solid performers. In fact one of my 358 Winnies is really fond of them. I smacked a large buck in the brisket at about 80 yards and it penetrated completely, coming out the right ham AFTER breaking the leg bone. I'd be real happy with it in your Norma if it turns out you can't get any Noslers.

Thanks North61!
    For 250 grain Nosler partition bullets I work up to 65 grains of H4895. In both my Ruger 77 and my Sako with a custom Douglas barrel, H 4895 does the trick. In the Ruger I use 64 grains in the Sako I can load rounds a bit longer and use 65 grains. H4895 has been dead consistent between lots.
    The 250 grain Speer bullets work pretty well, but the partitions are even better.

RL 19 has shown some variety between lots so I'll just say use a chronograph and work up carefully. It works well once you have the load. I now buy it in the big cannisters.

Default Swift Bullets

Vance Over the yrs most of the suitable bullets for the Norma have been used and all have killed every animal that has targeted. For a while now I've been using 225 Barnes X for most everything and switching to Swift 280gr for brown bears and some moose hunting. The Swifts that are recovered all look identical just like the ones in there adds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moosesled.jpg  
    I tend to use more than enough gun