Thread: Sea duck hunters!

Default Sea duck hunters!

Heading down to Valdez in a couple weeks for deer, was thinking about throwing in the shotguns but have never hunted sea ducks. We'll be out by the big islands. Is it worth doing? Preferred methods for these guys? I'm really not sure how guys even hunt them, I'm used to hunting over decoys but definitely not on salt water. We'll be hunting by boat, are there actually any geese down there this time of year? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Heading down to Valdez in a couple weeks for deer, was thinking about throwing in the shotguns but have never hunted sea ducks. We'll be out by the big islands. Is it worth doing? Preferred methods for these guys? I'm really not sure how guys even hunt them, I'm used to hunting over decoys but definitely not on salt water. We'll be hunting by boat, are there actually any geese down there this time of year? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Cody
    I'm going to do the same when I head to Whitter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

Maybe we'll see you out there, I got some good info from duckhunter1 already, looks like a decent shot at getting some birds if nothing else pans out. We'll be in a 26' Raider cuddy, name of Haulin But'. Luck to you.
    Cody

ak duck hunts guides for sea ducks in the area. Look at their photos to get an idea of what they do.

Not too difficult as long as you set up in a bay that has food for them.

Hey Cody seeing that we are neighbors check out this web site...
    http://www.nwtaxidermy.com/

If anyhting you can call him and ask questions or just see how they hunt them.Im headed down that way myself next year for my 1st Deer hunt and was also told to take a shotgun.

I dont know If your gonna get any of them birds mounted,but if you do take some cottonballs to put in their mouth to soak up any blood so as not to stain the feathers,and take some pantyhose.....hahaha! funny I hear the jokes coming now......
    Anyhow put the birds in athe pantyhose to keep all the feathers in place so they wont get ruined.

And good luck to you,Id like to hear how it goes when you get back.Daniel

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

spent 7 years in Valdez...... lots of geese this time of year ducks too.. they feed the flats until it get cold...knight island and glacier island have good beach lines to hunt birds... hitting jack, glacier, and saw mill bay's on the way out is a good call too...

note

NO SHOOTING by town... bow only hunting and must be out of sight of the road

Vince
    Last edited by Vince; 10-02-2008 at 12:30. Reason: spelling
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sounds good guys, I appreciate it. Dan I doubt we'll keep any for mounting but after looking at pictures of those harlequin maybe we will, pretty birds. Oh and we're closer neighbors than you think, I know the crawfords on blue sparkle and I think you're just down the road from em, right off woll. I'm over off the badger side of nordale, not far.

Vince,
    I'll not be waking up any valdez residents with shootin! lol Thanks for the input, we may have to take our time on the way out and look at all those closer bays. I spend a good deal of time in Valdez just never have this time of year. Thanks again.

Cody

oh! so you checke dout his website? Man the Harleys sure are gorgeous ducks dude and you pretty much wont get one anywhere else. That's Kyle's last name right? Dang! I suppose we are closer than I thought.and I am just down on Woll,my driveway is actually on Woll.Anyhow stop on by and say Howdy sometime.And again good luck to ya.....Daniel

yeah sounds good, his name is Dave, blue house on the corner with the split rail fence around it.

oh! yeah! I know two Crawfords over here,I never knew Daves last name.If you buy his house we really be neighbors then.Hopefully he can sell it to someone as nice as he is and quite oh! and maybe who has a big boat and plane

yeah he's selling his boat too, 20' Hewes sportjet, an '07. I'm sure you've seen it. So if you know anyone who's interested. Course I'm selling mine too, an 05' Hewes sportsmans, same boat different name. Both with 200 merc optimax! Spread the word! lol He's leaving and I'm saving up for a big one.
    Cody