Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 Win Mag - 180 Grain Core Lokt

Default .300 Win Mag - 180 Grain Core Lokt

Has anyone used the 180 grain Core-Lokt in 300 Win Mag for elk? I have used Core-Lokt in my other rifles for years and they are every accurate and reliable.
    Keeping in mind every bullet design has at one time or another failed in the field or didn't give stellar performance, I would like to hear if anyone has used them on elk or bear and how they performed.

I shot a young moose with a core lokt bullet from a 7mm about 80-100 yards away. Hit in in the lungs, ran about 20 yards and dropped. It will kill an elk too I am sure, there are so many different bullets to choose from these days.

Default Love those bullets

I am still shooting some 180 CL in my 300 WM that I bought on sale. I planned to shoot them up and reload with Nosler Partitions, but haven't finished them all off. Bottom line is that I have killed 4 moose, a black bear, 2 caribou, and a few deer with the CL and have not had a single bullet failure. Ranges have been 50-300 yards. I don't think you will find any problem with them for elk.

Default Failure

Quote Originally Posted by m0kfe View Post
    Has anyone used the 180 grain Core-Lokt in 300 Win Mag for elk? I have used Core-Lokt in my other rifles for years and they are every accurate and reliable.
    Keeping in mind every bullet design has at one time or another failed in the field or didn't give stellar performance, I would like to hear if anyone has used them on elk or bear and how they performed.

The Core-Lokt bullet has been the flagship of the Remington line for a lot of years; THAT SAID. It works most of the time, in most situations; sometimes it fails. HENCE Remingtons new bullet the Core-Lokt Ultra. I've taken 2 elk with the 180 Core-Lokt bullets in the early 80's both were 150 yds plus. Both were broadside lung shots, neither hit anything to cause a failure except the offside ribs. By then both bullets had done their magic.Both were launched from a Remington 742 and loaded with IMR 4320. My father however had a failure the last year we went that required a follow up. His intended elk stepped backwards at the same time he fired and the bullet hit the scapula at aprox 90 yds. Yes it crushed the shoulder blade to mush but the "bullet" remains were found in a rib under the scapula, it hadn't entered the chest cavity. The next round at 60 yds took out 2 neck vertabra and the lights went out.
    Were I going back into the mountains with Remington ammo, for heavier game it would be the NEW & IMPROVED version; Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded.
    JUST MY OPINION.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Not a fan of C.L. bullets

I grew up hunting elk with a 300wm and have shot many, with core lock ammo. (my opinion) most are lower end and living in Alaska all game should be taken with premium ammo. It does make a mess. I used Nosler for years, but now Barnes has the Triple shock. They are the best all round bullet I've found. I've seen everything from bears to moose taken and they hold their weight...
    The problem with corelock is, they usually come apart and if you have to shoot a bear you need a premium bullet.

Just my nickles worth

Default 300 wm 180 gr core lok

Hi There I Shoot Nothing But Core Lok 180 I'm A Shepherd Scope Dealer And My Rounds Our Hand Loaded 77 Gr 4831 And 180 Core Lok I Come Out Of The Barrel 3250. Last Year I Shoot A 42 Inch Bull Moose 850 Yds This Year I Shoot One At 700, The Bullet Went Through The Left Front Shoulder Through Both Rib Cages And Both Lungs And Was Right Under The Hide On The Other Side. They Are Very Accurate Bullets, I Have Shoot About Everthing In Alaska With It Down To Antilope In Montana. I Don't Change Bullets For Diffrent Game Our Loads And I Now Where It Hits Ever Time I Pull The Trigger. I Can Tell You An Elk Will Lay Down Fast With One. My Father Was A Registed Guide In Montana An I Have Killed A Lot Of Them And I Us To Shoot Them With A 6mm 100 Gr Remington Core Lok In Timber. The Main Thing Is Where You Place Your Shot. Skip Olsen

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Love them!!!!!!!!!!

8 foot Grizz this spring ran 35 feet, moose last week dropped with his front feet grabbing his rear feet with a quartering at me shot behind the front shoulder. moose last year walked 6 steps and collapsed. never had a critter go more then 15 yards with them, of course i am careful on my placement and do not take off hand shots.

I retired my MM rem mag after tracking a few and loosing one moose to a grizz that ran to far in the dark... i shoot a ruger m77 in 300 win mag and it loves the 180 grain core lokt for accuracy.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    Hi There I Shoot Nothing But Core Lok 180 I'm A Shepherd Scope Dealer And My Rounds Our Hand Loaded 77 Gr 4831 And 180 Core Lok I Come Out Of The Barrel 3250. Last Year I Shoot A 42 Inch Bull Moose 850 Yds This Year I Shoot One At 700, The Bullet Went Through The Left Front Shoulder Through Both Rib Cages And Both Lungs And Was Right Under The Hide On The Other Side. They Are Very Accurate Bullets, I Have Shoot About Everthing In Alaska With It Down To Antilope In Montana. I Don't Change Bullets For Diffrent Game Our Loads And I Now Where It Hits Ever Time I Pull The Trigger. I Can Tell You An Elk Will Lay Down Fast With One. My Father Was A Registed Guide In Montana An I Have Killed A Lot Of Them And I Us To Shoot Them With A 6mm 100 Gr Remington Core Lok In Timber. The Main Thing Is Where You Place Your Shot. Skip Olsen

Those are some pretty long shots, impressive!

Lots of first hand experience with them. They work well. Not quite as good a Nozler Partition, but close enough the critters don't know the difference. Use them up, they are fine for Alaskan Game.

Thanks guys. All very informative and encouraging. I'm sure the Ultra Core Lokt gives an edge in performance. I've used the 150 grainers in my 7mm Remington Magnum with devastating results on deer and so I swear by them in that caliber. I've pretty much been a 7mm remmy and 338 win mag user most of my hunting days. The 300 winny is new ground for me. However I have always been fascinated by the 300 win mag and always intended to get one. I just purchased a pair of SS Ruger MKII 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag with the green laminated stocks. To top that off I purchased a winchester stainless classic in 300 win mag right before that. Try to sneak all that by your wife without getting busted . . . I couldn't! But she'll get over it. I think I'm going to fire lap the babies and see what happens in the accarcy department.
    Mike

Default Impressive is the last thing I would call it.

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post

Impressive is the last thing I would call 700-800 yard shots on game. Irresponsible is more like it. One step in the time it takes for the bullet to get there and you have a gut shot animal so far away you can't even hope to track it. Sort of like taking 100 yard archery shots. Foolish, unsporting and unethical to say the least. Kind of takes the challenge out of hunting don't you think. If you want to take long shots put it on paper where you can afford a wind gust.

As far as the CL goes I love them. Shot several elk, mule deer, antelope, black bears and moose with them (all within 200 yards). Never had a problem. Changed to Barnes now becuase they are much better bullets, but still love the CL!

Well If You Have Ever Shoot Long Range, Animals At That Range Have No Idea Where That Shoot Has Come From And They Stand There, Not Only Do I Shoot 300 Win Mag But I Also Have And Shoot 50 bmg. But I Don't Hunt With A 50 Bmg. It Takes A Lot Of Shooting And The Right Gun And Optics To Shoot That Distance. I Have A Bad Back, From Being In The Military And I'm 52 Years Old So I Don't Chase Our Sneak Up On Things No More. Now I Shoot Then And Walk Up To Them, So If You Don't Like That Thats Your Problem. Skip

I shot a 7.5 foot brown bear with a 180 grain CL. He was about 150 yards away, quartered away. Bullet went in behind the ribs, angled through the chest cavity and I believe ended up somewhere in the opposite front quarter. It ran maybe 40 yards and piled up dead. Satisfactory performance but I have moved on to TSX's.

according to the ballistic charts your Premier CL ultra will be more effective with a direct hit but the Pointed soft point CL will have greater accuracy. You are trading your "accuracy" (ballistic coefficient) for "knock down power" at point of impact (energy)...

I personally prefer accuracy at long shots (200+) and greater energy for anything closer.

re25yo,the high BC of a bullet doesn't have anything to do with its accuracy. It's simply a numerical figure that represents a bullet's ability to overcome the resistance of air while in flight. The higher the number that flatter the trajectory but it doesn't mean a thing if a rifle won't shoot them accurately.

til later

well if the rifle wont shoot them accurately -- your gonna need all the help you can get....

" Accuracy is, after all, the prime requirement of any bench rest bullet. From a bench rest shooter's point of view, an increase or decrease in ballistic coefficient is only important if it improves accuracy. At 100 yards, I doubt that we would notice much difference in accuracy of any of the bullets tested with a load and barrel that shoots them well. At two and three hundred yards, however, when the wind is moving, a high ballistic coefficient bullet has a definite advantage. How great the advantage is what experimenting and testing and competition are all about."
    --Lilja precision,2002

I shot a caribou twice broadside at 398 yards with 180 gr Core-lokts out of a .300 WBY. Didn't really need the second shot, but I shoot till they drop. Anyway, both bullets expanded just fine and both exited. No problems whatsoever. Buddy shot a roughly 5 1/2 ft black bear broadside this spring with a 150 gr Core-lokt out of a .300 Win Mag. Bullet broke up a little inside the chest cavity, did not exit, but did the job. Bear went no more than 5 ft.

I would say the 180 gr Core-lokt would be fine for elk as long as you don't try "Texas heart shots" or anything else crazy. That being said, my elk/moose/bear load for my .300 WBY is a 200 gr Nosler Partition. I typically don't shoot the Core-lokts on the larger animals. But they should be fine.

And that's why it's GOOD that we have such a huge selection of bullets to choose from,so we can find one that's accurate and performs on game the way we want. If the one with the highest BC is accurate in your rifle and performs on game the way you want,GREAT,as it will help negate the accuracy robbing effects of the wind plus not drop as quickly thus eliminating at least two of the many factors a shooter has to deal with in making an accurate shot. So your right in that a higher BC bullet will help you to make a more accurate shot but I'm saying the rifle has to "like" that bullet in the first place. If a high BC was all that was required to make a rifle shoot a bullet accurately all the manufacturers would have to do is build a bullet with the highest BC.
    If the one with the highest BC isn't accurate though,all is not lost. I recently worked up a load for a friend's Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts. He wanted a trajectory to match one that the Burris chart showed for their Ballisti-Plex reticle in his FFll scope. So once I figured out the BC of the bullet used in that trajectory I had to find a bullet with that BC and of course match the velocity used for that trajectory. What I found out was that I didn't have to match that BC exactly. I could go .04 under or over Burris' BC and still have it work. Luckily I could reach the velocity needed and the load turned out to be accurate.

til later

Default not a fan

shot a spike moose with 180 core loks and was very disappointed. The first shot was at around 80 to 100 yards in the shoulder. Flopped the moose over and then he jumped up and ran another 200 yards before presenting a follow up shot. Second shot in the neck. First bullet disintegrated on impact, not even breaking the scapula. Second bullet fragmented on impact and luckily went in deep enough to catch a vertebrae. Never shot another one at an animal. Switched to Scirrocco and Barnes bullets with much better results and weight retention. Core loks worked great back in Montana on deer and antelope but anything bigger deserves a premium bullet (IMO).

Default Hmmmm

Don't know if anyone is even paying attention to this thread anymore, but i am from a small town in Alaska and have killed everything I have ever shot at with a CL bullet out of a .243 win. I know, I know, all you power crazy big gun junkies are calling me an idiot right now, but i have two words for you.......Shot placement. I have never taken an animal that is farther out than 150 yards, due to learning at a young age how to stalk a critter, and i have never pulled the trigger without knowing that i would be able to follow up the shot with another 2 or 3 rounds. To date I have taken a bear, 3 moose (one last year at 59 inches) and 10 caribou. My father has taken about as many with the same rifle. We have never used any bullet besides the CL. Do bullets break apart without making it through an animal sometimes? Sure! But all bullets will fail to do what they are designed to do at some point. That is why you should be dang sure of your environment before you pull the trigger. I just got a .300 win mag and WILL be shooting a 180 grain CL bullet with confidence, due to the long history I have with the cartridge. Let us know if you got an elk or not!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast