Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Murphy a little help with accubond please

  1. #1
    Member Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    278

    Default Murphy a little help with accubond please

    I looked through the archives but didn't find what i was looking for.
    I'm reloading some noslers (both styles, for accuracy tests)
    The problem I'm having in a .338WM is the same I had in my RUM. The accubonds once brought up close to the rifling to reduce bullet jump don't fit in the magazine anymore.
    little brothers winchester won't hold them but dad's remington has loads of room.
    How far can i come back and still keep my accuracy?
    Or should i just stick with the partitions in the weapons that won't do what I want?
    Hunting caribou, and possibly grizzly in 1 week.

    thanks for your help,
    Justin
    Justin

  2. #2
    New member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    286

    Default magazine length vs throat length

    Not Murphy....... but, the problem is very common. Many factory rifles have generous throat lengths probably to minimize the potential of over-pressure problems with certain ogive, heavy bullets being jammed into the lands with top end loads. Not a lot to be done about it other than re-chamber or re-barrel. Just go to an OAL that fits into the magazine with a little room to spare so the action will feed properly. Then see how it shoots. Some guns/loads shoot very well with the bullet seated off the lands a tad more than is normal for top accuracy. Anybody's guess? Pay particular attention to your reloading technique making sure to keep neck runout to a minimum. Also, helps to use fireformed brass. Both of these things will help ensure alignment between the cartridge/bullet and bore. One reason bullets seated to minimum jump to the lands tend to shoot more accurately is that it helps mitigate some of the runout misalignment between the cartridge/bullet and the entry into the bore. Hope you can use the Accubonds- they have proved to be very! accurate for me but, being relatively new, they don't have a huge track record on large, tough game like bears.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    You can always have your barrel set back a turn and rechambered to lose the long throat.

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Bottom Line? see how it shoots.

    Remember, your not picking off anything small and far with a .338WM. Dependability is #1 along with reasonable accuracy. Seating the bullet in the case a bit more will likely not be an issue considering the intended use.

    My $.02

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    I looked through the archives but didn't find what i was looking for.
    I'm reloading some noslers (both styles, for accuracy tests)
    The problem I'm having in a .338WM is the same I had in my RUM. The accubonds once brought up close to the rifling to reduce bullet jump don't fit in the magazine anymore.
    little brothers winchester won't hold them but dad's remington has loads of room.
    How far can i come back and still keep my accuracy?
    Or should i just stick with the partitions in the weapons that won't do what I want?
    Hunting caribou, and possibly grizzly in 1 week.

    thanks for your help,
    Justin
    Before you use the Accubond for hunting, you may want to read the following from Allenday:
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...page=0&fpart=1

    Now, i am not saying that you should not use Accubond bullets, just to be aware of what the others have to say about it, specially if hunting moose or bear.

  6. #6
    Member Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    278

    Default good call

    Ya know, after reading that it brought back my experience from my aniak caribou trip last year. My partner was using a 375 H&H (serious overkill) and he took his bou at 100 yards broadside and the entrance wound was the most viscious I've ever seen but the bullet was nowhere to be found and it did not exit.
    I just figured that it had jumped off a bone and ended up somewhere I didn't find it. But after reading that it occured to me that it probably just discintigrated.
    That's the first negative I've seen on the accubonds but it will be sufficient for me not to try to push my luck just to shoot an inferior bullet.

    I've had great success with the partitions. That's what I have loaded and that's what I'm taking.
    Thanks for the post.
    BTW I've not had any sucsess at all with the barnes X's as far as accuracy, but every gun I own shoots the partitions with reasonable accuracy.
    thanks again.
    Justin
    Justin

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Hunting with Accubond

    Adventures,

    Sorry this took so long but I think you're getting good advice anyway.

    A couple of things I'd say.

    Just seat them short enough to allow them to feed smoothly from magazine to chamber.

    I wouldn't trust a hunt to an unproven bullet, and as of now the AccuBond hasn't proven anything to me.

    I'm a Partition and A-frame kind of guy, I know they work. Good luck with this and good shootin'.

    Murphy
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    Ya know, after reading that it brought back my experience from my aniak caribou trip last year. My partner was using a 375 H&H (serious overkill) and he took his bou at 100 yards broadside and the entrance wound was the most viscious I've ever seen but the bullet was nowhere to be found and it did not exit.
    I just figured that it had jumped off a bone and ended up somewhere I didn't find it. But after reading that it occured to me that it probably just discintigrated.
    That's the first negative I've seen on the accubonds but it will be sufficient for me not to try to push my luck just to shoot an inferior bullet.

    I've had great success with the partitions. That's what I have loaded and that's what I'm taking.
    Thanks for the post.
    BTW I've not had any sucsess at all with the barnes X's as far as accuracy, but every gun I own shoots the partitions with reasonable accuracy.
    thanks again.
    Justin
    If you have not yet tried the Barnes XXX bullets I would suggest you do. My experiences were similar till I tried the XXX's. In every rifle I tried them in they shoot as good and usually better than partitions.

  9. #9
    Member Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    278

    Default Partitions

    I'll stick with the Partitions. I've taken every other big game animal I've gotten with the Partitions. I'm not really sure why I wanted to use something different now that I think about it.
    Thanks for the advise guys.
    Justin
    Justin

  10. #10
    Member Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    278

    Default BTW Murphy

    AS the Shooting moderator I expect you to be available for my stupid questions 24/7/365 for my convenience. If you can't handle the pressure....
    Just kidding, and as usual I appreciate your input.
    Justin
    Justin

  11. #11

    Default Accubond

    I don't post very much but thought this would be good info for somebody. I tuned my 300 in with some 180 accubond reloads and was real happy with them on paper.
    A few days ago I started reading bad thing about their problems in the field, however didn't have time to load and rezero, so off I went on a moose trip. First evening in the stand i called in a fork and not having much time to hunt, figured I'd fill the freezer. The shot was broadside at 150yds, I hit him just behind the front leg, he ran 50 yds before falling. Upon inspection, he had a baseball size hole going in and a couple frag holes a foot apart on exit. You guessed it, the bullet broke apart on the ribs going in. If some of the broken pieces hadn't hit his heart, I may have had to chance him for sometime. I've used ballistic tips for years on white tails and have seen them do it a lot. Apperantly the accubond doesn't hold together much better, at least for me. What amazes me most is that I took the same shot on a big cow last year at 423yds, the cheapest factory loaded winchester 180 grain bullet passed clean through without breaking up, she made three steps before goign down. Guess I'll go to barnes or swift bullets for next year

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,428

    Thumbs down AccuBombs...

    Vmax,

    Thanks for the info on the accubond performance that is similar to what I had heard also. I am surprised, but it may be time for Nosler to get back to the drawing board. I like the ballistic tips. Very accurate and great on deer sized animals, pretty explosive. Not for heavy game and apparently neither are the accubonds. I have not found the A/B's to be very accurate in the few calibers I have used. All my testing has been with paper, no animals yet. They will punch all the way through paper very well. I'll wait for the improved version.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,428

    Smile Oops!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    AS the Shooting moderator I expect you to be available for my stupid questions 24/7/365 for my convenience. If you can't handle the pressure....
    Justin
    Sorry Justin, I'll try to do better.

    Did you hunt with those accubombs?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •