Thread: Little Su Moose

Question Little Su Moose

I'm looking at a moose hunt on the Little Su from the landing to the inlet the last week in Sept. in hopes of calling in a bull. Have not hunted this area before and am looking for any tips or input. Thanks in advance.

Kuch - I think the best piece of advice I could give you is to get off the river. The Little Su sees a fair amount of pressure, so you're not likely to just see one standing on the bank. Look at some topo maps (and also Google Earth) and find some marshy areas off the sides of the river. Park your raft and spend a day or two hunting these areas. Even getting a couple hundred yards off the river can make a huge difference. There are lots of moose in the area, but you won't be the only one chasing them. The extra effort will make the difference. Good luck!

-Brian

Default Last year

A buddy and I hunted down by the inter-tie last year. On the way down we saw one cow a few miles downstream of the landing and absolutely NOTHING near the power lines. We hiked for many miles and didn't even see any sign of moose (no rubs, tracks, droppings). The only wildlife we found were some spruce hens! We saw one boat coming out from further down toward the mouth with a moose that they had taken on the South side of the river (we were hunting the North side). It was very surprising not finding any sign at all.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....