Thread: DG347 Success & Partner Thanks

Default DG347 Success & Partner Thanks

First of all, I owe this hunt to a good partner.
    A friend of mine stepped up to help me out on a goat hunt which he had no tag for. The terrain for goat hunting as you know can be daunting, especially if considering going it alone. I had never hunted with my friend but know him well enough to have felt comfortable with him as a partner. He helped with planning the climb, carrying the weight as if he himself had the tag. When we came to tough terrain during the climb he was willing to lead and find new routes. He is 15 years younger than I and was willing to go my pace even though it was obviously slower than his (I consider myself in good shape, not great and maybe 10 pounds overweight). He was patient and was always in touch. When it came to the final pitch, I slipped on some rocks, but he had tossed a rope down just for safety measures. It was not really a technical climb, but my foothold gave out (I should have lost a couple more pounds ). The rope kept me from slipping and possibly getting hurt or at least discouraged.
    After shooting the goat he said he wanted to practice, so he skinned the beast. He did not hestitate when sharing the load for the hike down.
    Being relatively new to Alaska, I have done most of my hunting alone. I do not have a regular partner. My friend has his own hunting partners but was willing to go with me in between his own hunts. I look forward to the day I can say I have a reliable hunting partner, and if I am lucky, I will have one as awesome as my friend. I will keep looking.
    More details and pics to come...

Default DG 347 success story (part one)

We took a water taxi into camp on a Friday afternoon. The taxi would be back on Monday evening. We glassed for awhile then set up camp at the base of the mountain. We talked about the possible access routes. We glassed again after dinner and saw a couple goats. The weather looked good and we had possible goats for the next day. It is nice to have a target located. We shot the breeze, went to bed with positive expectations.
    After breakfast the next morning we packed up the tent, our sleeping bag and some food. We checked our routes again and started the hike. It started out with some low, fallen ferns and grasses but quickly turned into six foot tall, thick salmon berries. Then came the alders and the devils club. It took about two hours of bush whacking to get to the base of the climb.

Default DG347 part 2

The climb was mixed terrain, alders, snot grass, more berries and a few rock slides. We weaved our way up using the weeds and alders for hand holds. I am not too proud to say I was on my knees a couple times. It was warm and humid, lots of sweat! We neared the top and were cliffed out. The rocks were too steep and there were not enough hand holds. The clouds came in and we sat down for a bite to eat. We were on a shelf with one nice goat bed and a little trail crossing it and some fresh dung. That was encouraging! It was good timing as I was begining to run out of gas. The clouds lifted after about an hour. We dropped down and across to another access route to the top. The last pitch was rocky, but had some decent foot and hand holds. my friend climbed up ahead and said it was right where we wanted to be. He threw the rope down as I started up. I struggled a bit on the start then got going again. Then the rock I was standing on broke, I slipped but the rope gave me the extra hand hold to keep my balance. I grunted the rest of the way with one more slip and the rope to keep me perched. We reached the top about 4:00. The clouds settled back in and visibility was limited to about 100 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default DG347 success part 3

We could see enough to think there wasa nice bowl in front of us and we could hear a spring running which meant water. Good place to camp we thought. We sat for a bit and watched as the fog lifted. My friend took a walk up to the top of a knob. He came back and thought it would be a good place to go in the morning. As the fog lifted more we saw a beautiful grasssy bowl with a little lake and a creek flowing out. Perfect camp we thought. Moments later, two goats appeared out of the fog. We were about 400 yards away. I set up for a shot and did not feel comfortable. It was still a little foggy and we could not judge distance or the goats. We walked around the top of the bowl to a rocky ridge with trees as cover. We were 132 yards away from one goat and the other was about 200. We watched them for awhile and I decided the closest one was a billy. I am not a great judge of goat horns, but I thought it looked very similar to the goat I shot in Montana. I decided to take him. The bowl was nice, we didnt have to worry about the goat running of a cliff. He was quartering away and was below us so I comensated a little for elevation and took the shot. He scampered about 60 yards. I took another couple shots, which actually missed, but he came to a stop and was down. It was 5:00pm

Default DG347 success

Sorry for the long windedness...

The goat was 5 1/2 years old and did not have record book horns 8 1/2 and 8 3/4, (I forget the bases) but the hide was nice and It was a great time.

Thanks again to a good friend who was my partner.
    I salute all the good hunting partners out there, you make it possible and better!!

The pictures were lacking a light but I think the image is good enough. This last one is of the view where we first saw the goats. They were on the back left side of the bowl along the evergreen trees. If you look very close you can see the one I shot lying in the bottom center of the photo.
    Last edited by Burke; 10-01-2008 at 00:04. Reason: add photo

Default final dg347

Most hunting stories are not perfect and neither was ours (even though it sounded like it)
    We made one bone head decision. At the top of the last pitch we had climbed up the day before.....we decided to lower the packs with rope and make it easier to climb down. Sounds good right...well we were about 2 or three feet short when we lowered the second pack. We looked at each other and thought about our choices. Do we tie it off, leave it dangling, climb down and grab it or drop it the last few feet. The first pack was resting nicely down below!?
    The second we dropped it we knew it was not the best decision we could have made. It dropped and rolled and rolled and rolled and it took the other pack with it and they rolled and they rolled and they rolled down the shoot.
    We made our way down, picked up the water bottle, the sleeping pad and the skull that had flown off the packs. My pack had some minor dents in the frame, my friend had a crack in his binocs (they still worked and it was the second one they had) other than that they fared very well. We laughed at ourselves and our boneheadedness...all is well that ends well !
    We got to the bottom in time to sit on the beach in the sun with fresh mountain water for a couple hours before the water taxi came.

Default real good story

Sounded like a really fun hunt with a real good partner. Congrats on the goat. I've never hunted them but it sure sounds fun and the scenery looked beautiful.

Default Nice

I have to do that sometime while I am up here - it sounds like you had a great time. All of that in a weekend - who could ask for more.

Default great partner

You found a good one, take care of him can congrats on a nice goat!

Default Friends!

Burke,
    Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt and especially the thoughtfulness of praiseing your friend!
    I am 52 now and bad back and asthma have slowed me more than I like so I too, need to give credit to my friends as well. My best friend is my 24 year old son that never complains and I would trust with my life.
    I hope the burning desire to hunt and fish never die out in us that enjoy the outdoors for I think we have a bit better understanding of values in life. Its not about puttling the trigger - its the friends, the sunrises and sunsets, the challenge to see if we can climb that hill one more time.
    You are a good person and have your values lined up well...
    Take care.
    Randy

Nice reports. Great pics
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK