Thread: marlin 45-70 factory ported question

Default marlin 45-70 factory ported question

Have been reading and asking several folks about this:

I have heard several different responses, the one that (so far) seems most logical, is that Marlin ran into an issue in the way that they ported, and it acutually created a hazard condition to anyone standing in close proximity to the rifle when fired.

The porting was not relieved and small bits of shrapnel could be pushed out the porting at a velocity high enough to imbed it in surfaces...
    it also caused a non accurate rifle do to the fact that the bullet would then spin around its center of mass which may or may not be the center of the bullet..

Im NOT a gunsmith, and am just looking for info as to if I should get my factory ported marlin "re-ported"..

Any info as to if this is or is not the case would be appreciated prior to spending the $ to port it..

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Why Marlin did away with the factory porting is beyond me. And I have never been close enough to the “dangerous” end of mine to worry about “shrapnel” flying out of the ports. I can tell you that accuracy does NOT seem to be effected in a negative way by the porting. Furthermore, I shoot cast lead bullets exclusively out of mine and have noted no lead build up in the ports what so ever, and that leads me to believe that the “shrapnel” theory is bunk. I would think that if the ports are going to shave a bullet enough to let pieces fly out the ports that it would effect a lead bullet more so than a jacketed on, but that is just my opinion.

Also, it is important to remember that the bullet has already been “resized” and engraved with the rifling for 16 ˝” before it ever gets to those ports. I just don’t think its an issue.

My only complaint with the ports was the noise level. So I ended up cutting mine back enough to remove all the ports. It has the added benefit of making the rifle even more compact and portable without much loss in performance. 1800 fps with a 420 grain bullet is still easily achievable without hitting maximum powder charges. And I always kind of figured that if the old timers could kill a buffalo with the same bullet going 1100 fps, I can likely kill a similar sized animal just as dead with one going 1800 fps.

If your happy with the way it shoots, then I wouldn’t worry about it or mess with it. And anybody that is close enough to potentially get hit with shaved bullet material, is in a dangerous spot whether your barrel is ported or not! Keep them behind you or in line with your shoulder and you should have no problems in my opinion.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Yeah, the only complaint I've ever heard about the porting (and the rumored reason why Marlin discontinued it) was that it was unpleasantly loud for hunters without ear protection. I'm sure it had something to do with production cost also. Never heard of the ported guns shaving lead either.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I have only shot my ported Marlin 45-70 with ear protection when I am not in the field. In the field I never noticed the noise as the hunt was all that was on my mind. I can tell you the ported model is very accurate especially with leverolution ammo.

Default absolutely love mine

I have had mine since 2001 brand new. No issues what so ever. As mentioned, you shouldn't be at the wrong end of any gun but I really have had no issues. I shoot 400grn speers, and 420 and 540 cast bullets from Garrett. Awesome performance for me. I have shot about 400 to 500 rounds through with no issues. I'll buy another one just to have a back up.

Tony

I had a ported one in 444 for a while (wish I still did although I'd prefer the 450 or 45-70) & had no complaints.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by becker View Post
    Have been reading and asking several folks about this:

I have heard several different responses, the one that (so far) seems most logical, is that Marlin ran into an issue in the way that they ported, and it acutually created a hazard condition to anyone standing in close proximity to the rifle when fired.

The porting was not relieved and small bits of shrapnel could be pushed out the porting at a velocity high enough to imbed it in surfaces...
    it also caused a non accurate rifle do to the fact that the bullet would then spin around its center of mass which may or may not be the center of the bullet..

Im NOT a gunsmith, and am just looking for info as to if I should get my factory ported marlin "re-ported"..

Any info as to if this is or is not the case would be appreciated prior to spending the $ to port it..
    My understanding is that Marlin got lawyered on it. I've seen one and heard of one other where the barrel actually ruptured right at the factory porting. In the one I got to handle and look at the guy was supposedly using "factory" loads, but lots of folks would claim that to try covering their behinds after doing something stupid. Close examination showed the rear scope base was loose, and further close examination showed the barrel was actually ringed at the chamber so the scope base wouldn't sit flush. Hmmmmmm. Makes ya wonder, don't it!! I've known this guy a long time and his usual reloading practices are enough make me leave the range when he arrives.

The second one I heard about the idiot admitted using hot reloads, but I don't have any more details than that.

I know of one other in 450 that ruptured at the ports, but it was ported by a ham-handed "gunsmith" and drill press. Can't blame Marlin for that.

Talking to the Marlin rep, he had it second hand (or was it third, fourth or fifth hand?) that Marlin chickened out due to other failures around the country, usually traced back to astronomical pressures from hot reloads or factory loads.

All second hand and speculation, but who can blame Marlin for hiney coverying if that's what was really going on.