Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: For those of that dont know

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default For those of that dont know

    What questions should be asked of from an Trnasporter or Guides? Im looking at a transporter for a Deer hunt next year and I have a few questions to ask,but Id like to see what you experts have learned over time.Thanks.Daniel

  2. #2
    Member mmusashi2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    263

    Default I don't have a list of questions

    but I can say that in 2005 I went out with Ninilchik Charters and had a most incredible and fun deer hunt out of Larson Bay. The boats were comfy and the crew members were helpful and professional, not to mention we saw and were able to bag some really nice deer. http://ninilchik.com/content_sub.asp?SUB_ID=46&CAT_ID=4
    The snow started to fall as we were leaving and the following group of hunters took some incredible bucks but we were quite happy with our own success and I intend to do it again sometime. Bring along a shotgun cause after you limit out there are lots of ducks available.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    Bring along a shotgun cause after you limit out there are lots of ducks available.
    Good point there,and thanks.I used Ninilchik myself in 04 I think for a fishing charter and it was awesome.I'll have to look at them now as Im open,but Im really looking at Montague Is.Thanks again for the reply.Oh! BTW! what timew of year did you go?

  4. #4
    Member mmusashi2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    263

    Default Late Oct. and into Nov.

    There were some deer on the beaches but we had to go to the mountain tops for most of our bucks. The nicest one was shot by a 12 year old girl at about sea level.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Boat based or drop off? A lot more questions for one that the other.
    Locations, communications, allowable equipment load limit, are justg a sample

  6. #6
    Member dwhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas/Alaska
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I have to 2nd Mike and Ninilchik charters, I have known Mike for many years and have been going fishing and bear hunting using his services for the past 5 years. We always charter both of the big boats and we have never had anything short of a great time with great crews.

    I am very sure that those same crews would be just as great on a deer hunt.

    Doug

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Thanks fellas.Daniel

  8. #8
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Many questions come to mind when it comes to guides and transporters.

    Here are somethings that I would consider asking:

    What do you provide?
    Do they provide the fuel in the cost of your transport, is that something in addition to. What time(s) do they fly in your area. There should be a clearing on when you expect them or when they expect you to be there.

    What do I pay for?
    If it's a transporter, do you pay by weight or do you pay per person.. or per mile? (Fuel, etc)
    For a guide, do they provide the food or are you bringing your own food or your own food cooking system? How about tents... shelter?
    Do you have to contribute to anything more than what's already included in the actual guide fee?

    Are you experienced?
    Are they experienced in the area for the transporter... for landing in that area and for the guide... how often have they guided and what is their success rate. Have they had any safety mishaps since being a guide or a transporter? What kinds of concerns do they have when they are out in the field. What should you as a client expect?

    I would HIGHLY suggest asking for recommmendations and referrals. If they are good at what they do, it wouldn't be hard for them to provide 3-4 names of people that they have guided or transported before. Don't be afraid to ask for this. If they don't provide this, you can easily ask Department of Fish and Game for their hunt records... but why go to that extent if they haven't provided it for you initially?

    I would also find out what the deer count is in a certain area if possible, as well as the wolf count. You wouldn't want to hunt somewhere where the wolf count is high because then your deer count would be low: obviously. You can usually find this out from Fish and Game or by doing a search of the area on the internet.. I am pretty sure.

    For the sake of saying it, too... you might want to ask them about the tipping situation. It is widely disputed and debated, but maybe getting that out of the way will alleviate an uncozy or awkward feelings towards the end of the hunt. Should I tip? Should I not tip? Was the tip included? They stunk as a guide, I don't plan to tip... get it out of the way before you even take the hunt so that you know and could be able to plan for that, too.

    Last thing... communication devices. Would they provide a sat phone for you in case you need to be in contact with your family or is that something that you would provide on your own. I'd rather you be safe than sorry in case something happened... and it's always good to know if a sat phone is available to you in case you need it.

    I hope that helps.
    Lurker.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    wee doggie! Coto AK you pointed out some great info for me that I missed or totally lacked in knowledge since Ive never used an Outfitter or Guide service.With that I think I have everything covered,I just need to do more research till then and go from there.Thanks

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Many questions come to mind when it comes to guides and transporters.

    Here are somethings that I would consider asking:

    What do you provide?
    Do they provide the fuel in the cost of your transport, is that something in addition to. What time(s) do they fly in your area. There should be a clearing on when you expect them or when they expect you to be there.

    one more point to add to this is that many fly In's are by the hour of flight time, how many trips will you need for your destination and size of plane provided/necessary for landing in your destination.

    how many other parties will they land in your area? or have they landed there already. Is the game population large enough to accommodate these other parties and yours?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11

    Default

    Ask them to NOT drop you off in the easier places or ones that have been hammered over and over, like a Forest Service Cabin. You have to hunt harder and smarter than the guy before you did, or sometimes get lucky with a deep snow or something like that, but I would sooner take my chances hunting the more remote areas.

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Ask them to NOT drop you off in the easier places or ones that have been hammered over and over, like a Forest Service Cabin. You have to hunt harder and smarter than the guy before you did, or sometimes get lucky with a deep snow or something like that, but I would sooner take my chances hunting the more remote areas.
    Thanks bud.Im for hunting harder even If Im not successful I had a good time.Daniel

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Thanks bud.Im for hunting harder even If Im not successful I had a good time.Daniel
    I hear you, but personally I favor hunting for enjoyment and saving my energy for packing the meat. Have you focused in on a given area or island to hunt yet. Knowing specific areas can sometimes garner more specific areas. Not all geographic location exhibit the same characteristics, eg different questions for Montaque vs Kodiak vs Craig.

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I hear you, but personally I favor hunting for enjoyment and saving my energy for packing the meat. Have you focused in on a given area or island to hunt yet. Knowing specific areas can sometimes garner more specific areas. Not all geographic location exhibit the same characteristics, eg different questions for Montaque vs Kodiak vs Craig.
    Im with ya on that bud.This is just a meat hunt as always with me.We where going to make it Montague but our transporter does not do it anymore due to the cost of fuel now.
    So now we are basically researching anyhitng feasible productive.Im thinking Kodiak and my hunting partner wants to head out of Valdez.So again Im sort of open to suggestions as of right now. Daniel

  15. #15
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    wee doggie! Coto AK you pointed out some great info for me that I missed or totally lacked in knowledge since Ive never used an Outfitter or Guide service.With that I think I have everything covered,I just need to do more research till then and go from there.Thanks
    Hey, thanks for the compliment. All I can do is help. You never know what kinds of people you are going to get. I am huge on integrity and ethics and I would just rather you be completely prepared for what it is that you are getting into.

    If I think of more questions that you can ask or research on, I'll absolutely provide it for you.

    Glad I was able to at least stretch your experience. Education and knowledge are key and essential.
    Lurker.

  16. #16
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Im with ya on that bud.This is just a meat hunt as always with me.We where going to make it Montague but our transporter does not do it anymore due to the cost of fuel now.
    So now we are basically researching anyhitng feasible productive.Im thinking Kodiak and my hunting partner wants to head out of Valdez.So again Im sort of open to suggestions as of right now. Daniel
    have you checked into getting a charter out of Cordova? there are several out fits there that do on boat charter hunts as well drop offs.. not to mention some of the fishermen i know will hire the boat out weather permitting. the ferry out of Valdez to cordova is not to expensive and a nice ride.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •