Thread: Birch leaf stains on fiberglass boat

Unhappy Birch leaf stains on fiberglass boat

Scrambling to cover the boat, I didn't make it in time before the birch trees in my yard dropped their bombs. The hull has been in dire need of a good buffing to bring back the shine, its nearing the chalky range. The leaf stains are all over it, I washed it late last night but it didn't work, (ran out of time to scrub more). Do you think if the hull was a bit more on the glossy side vs the chalky side the stains would come off easier? I am at the buff/wax stage now anyway, but in the future would it matter if its glossy or not? Suggestions for removing the stains now, in this weather???

I've never tried it, but I wonder if baking soda would help as the leaf stain is from tannic accid.

I'd expect a buffed and waxed surface to be better protected than an oxidized chaulky surface.

Try Hull Cleaner (Starbright?). Has oxalic acid in it and on most stains it will make them disappear in a couple of minutes. Wal-Mart has it, or Worst Marine if you want to pay the price. If you have a galvanized trailer, cover it or wet it down good first because the acid can etch the metal.

After you compound and/or polish your boat, you might try a Teflon wax (I think technically not a wax...get at Worst Marine). That's always been better than wax on my boat for not allowing waterline stains to stick so bad.

My CDory used to get loaded every spring. I just used a good detergent and it all came right off. Oxidation on fiberglass is another matter. That needs to be buffed off with a rubbing compound to make the fiberglass bright again.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

try some wood bleach(oxyalic acid), you can get it at a paint store, it comes in a powder form so just mix up some in a small container and put it on with a sponge or paper towel. It works great on rust stains on fiberglass and other stains also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Castrol Super Clean

2 gallon jug at napa for $20..... cleans leaf stains and **** near any other stain....
    I use it on my boats, camper, argo, metal roof, dog kennels.. pontoon boat.... bbq and any thing else i don't want to scrub...

Tom

x2 for Super Clean. I use it on all of my heavy equipment, snowmobiles, ATV's and anything else that is dirty. I sell tons of it to Mahay's Riverboat service and they love it. Look for the purple jug.

Default RV black streak remover...

I've never used some of the other suggestions but this worked on mine...
    RV black streak remover...
    Follow up with a quality fiberglass wax/protectant.

Default Castrol Super Clean

How is this stuff on painted aluminum? The bottle says not to use on it. Just curious.

Default Super Clean

never had a problem.. I use it on my argo, river boat, four wheeler, motorhome and 2007 silverado.....

If you do want to clean alum..... ZEPALUM is awesome...... a one gallon bottle is better than 2 dozen mexicans to clean your boat.... simpley effortless cleaning.... great product.

Tom

Talking Zepalum

Tell me more about Zepalum. I buff my aluminum boat and it is getting to be too much of a job. Thinking a little less buffing and more play.

Default Zepalum

It is a cleaner / ozidizer remover... it will remove iron stains ( water lines ) the gray chalky look that aged alum gets ect....

This is not a polisher... it is a acid bath. You will end up with a virgin raw alum boat.

I mix it 50/50 on a old boat that has been neglected for several years.

On my boat I mix about a cup to 2 gallons of water for a good bath in the spring.

you spray it on with a pump up sprayer.... let it sit for 1 minute, it will foam up ral good and then you rinse with cold water from a garden hose.

it will not hurt your vinyl lettering, or outdrives...... BUT keep it away from electrical connections..... bad news....

Valley Diesel and marine sells gallon jugs for $40.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the info, I will look into the stuff.

When in doubt use bleach, if that does not work it's time to get the buffer out. It all depends upon what you want to go to. I would try and remove the stain now with a good fine grit compund like 3M Finesse It. Then you can wait to do the rest of the vessel in the spring or do it now depending on your motivation.Waxing is alot easier when it's 60 compared to 30 though. Yes of course a good wax is worth it's weight in Gold even better is quality paint such as Emron on Awlgrip.

I forgot to add that Starbright will work be carefull it's pretty toxic and don't get it on your bottom paint or you won't have any left. Put it on a 3m pad and after that break out the buffer.

Default magic eraser

use magic eraser they really work