Thread: Plane recommendation

Default Plane recommendation

PPL getting close, 30 hrs done. looking for recommendations for a high wing that will handle someone that is 6-5" 230lbs with broad shoulders. Something for a first timer with low hours to really learn in, no high performance type aircraft, lower cost per hour

Default A Champ

If anything will have room in it that is cost effective it will be a champ,

Terry

I am 6'2" 210 lbs and I have plenty of room in a Champ. It also had pretty good performaning airplane. I can fit my 15 year old son (same height but 60 lbs lighter) and a sparce camp in the plane with no problem.

Default Champ

6'2 - 245 My Champ is a fun inexpensive airplane with reasonable performance. Great airplane for building time.

I'm not sure what you want to do besides build time, but many of my students have owned 182s and they feel pretty roomy to me (6'2", really broad shoulders.)

They certainly burn more fuel than a champ, but they also carry alot more stuff and do pretty well on beaches and bars with big tires. Now is definitely the time to buy, prices seem pretty depressed.

Doug

I suggest a " BEAVER " so you can carry your hunting partner and all his gear around.

If money is not a big concern, the best all around aircraft I have owned is a Cessna 206. It can haul huge loads and large passengers very comfortably. The large cargo doors allow huge cargo in volume and weight. With Tundra tires and a larger front main, you can land many places a tricycle normally cannot. The fuel burn is the same as a 185, but the comfort and utility is way more efficient. The 206 is the one plane I am truly sorry I sold years ago. You can buy a decent one for $150-200. A really nice used one for $275. New is off the charts at $450. At that price I would look at a Bushhawk. After you get your PPL, take it easy and fly with as many experienced guys as you can. Don't wrap up a perfectly good airplane trying to get experience too soon. Have fun..

PS At the moment I fly a Cub. I am 6'2" and barely fit in it. It is the most fun for the dollar of all the aircraft I have owned.

Hi, I fly a Piper Pacer, and I'm 6' and 225 and have flown with a friend that goes 260 and 6'2", plus bagage. The burn on a 135hp is about 7gph normal and 8 when fully loaded and high cruise power. I started flying it with 1hr and 40 mins of tail dragger under my belt. Its the best buy on the used market but it isn't a super cub, then again its $50,000 cheaper. It will fly off in 600-900' light and 1200 heavy. Just starting out you might not want to push off-field landings for a couple of hundred hours. As stated above, take it easy and give yourself time to learn, there is more than meets the eye to plopping down off airport. Find beaches others are useing regular (Silver Salmon Creek), and strips many with are marked on charts as unreported, just low pass and look first. Have fun.Tom