Thread: no replacement for displacement

Question no replacement for displacement

I allways believed in the saying "no replacement for displacement" when it comes to cars and wheeling rigs but I am starting to think that there is an end to it when it comes to ATV's. I am starting to consider which atv's I am going to outfit my family with. I get a kick out of my cousins AC 650 H1 turning 27" mud lites but I wonder if there is a significant improvement over a 500? I am leaning toward 550 EFI wheelers either a Yammi Griz or a AC. It seems that there is a point where additional HP only serves to make it easier to break parts and doesn't offer much in the way of getting through tougher obstacles. Not to mention the fuel economy side of the coin. Just curious what people think?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Not to mention the fuel economy side of the coin. Just curious what people think?
    Not what you would think! My 750 King Quad with 296 cc's more motor gets better fuel mileage than my 450 Honda Foreman did. Theres other variables to consider when bying...when I went down to buy a 4wheeler recently I was kind of thinking like you and had my mind set on a 09 Yamaha Grizzly 550 thinking it will surely have more power than my Honda Foreman did, but when you get down there and they explain to you how much of a better price the previous year 700 Grizzly is, its kind of a no brainer. And the same applied to the King Quad I ended up getting. I got the 750 King with Mudlites and the winch for $300 less than the 09 Grizzly 550 would have cost me? Coulda got an 08 Grizzly (yes with the almighty EPS) for the same price as a 09 550 Griz, so you kinda a got to look at whats going on when your buying. Money isn't the only deciding factor but who isn't looking for a good deal? I too would have never thought about buying a big bore ATV , but when you start to look at what all your getting its pretty incredible. I also never would have imagined that a 750 would weigh the same as my old 450 Foreman did. Its a strange world out there in the ATV market, but the good news is theres lots of good products out there to fill your needs!

Displacement is king. Remember two winters ago when we had that awful December when it snowed non stop? Well I was the only atv that made it into Jim Creek for a solid two weeks, when everyone was turning around after getting stuck a mile before Jim Creek I continued. At WOT my BF 750 turning 28" bugs would float over most of the snow. The only other machines out there at the time were snowmachines, no exageration. I'd like to see a 500 category machine do that.

The bigger machines will turn bigger tires, which will give you more clearance, and the aditional power will pull larger loads. But the bigger machines will burn more gas and with bigger tires there will be more maintenance. It's a trade off I suppose.

Default Could be a lot of people thinking the same way

and that is why the dealers are ready to do the deal on the big bores over the midsize(?!) machines. Remember when youy couldn't dicker trying to get a big bore? When I replace the Prairie I'll probably go to the 550 class although I'm thinking of trying a SxS to get the wife out. Have to wait and see, won't be for a few years though either way.
    Mike
    (I can't think of any trail that I've been on with the 700 that I wasn't on before with my Rancher)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Thanks guys, plenty of good information here! I am starting to lean toward the big bores now something in the 700 to 750 range. I have eliminated Kawi due to lack of local support, and Can-am due to them costing a rediculous amount, also eliminated Polaris and Honda one due to durability the other due to the no dif lock and both of them due to the dealer... I am leaning toward Suzuki or AC. I think the AC is a little top heavy but I have a feeling it will be a good bit cheaper as well. Anyone have any idea where to find the horse power/torque numbers for these quads?

LuJon,

Both the Suzi & AC are great machines. Depends a little on how you ride. The AC's are sprung heaver - meaning stiffer. Read the magazine and internet reports and they all say the AC's are stiff riders. The Suzi KQ's ride like cadalics but will still carry any load anyone else will. I own Yamaha's and Popo's so I have no interest in what you buy just thought you should be aware of the difference in ride. If you are a very aggressive rider go with the AC. I you want a softer ride go with the Suzi.