Thread: Monday's Mixed Bag

Default Monday's Mixed Bag

This morning was frosty and sloooooooooooooow. All the water on the trail going in had a thin layer of ice as did my favorite pond. I arrived well before LST and had plenty of time to break ice for the decoys. Unfortunately the fine weather the last few days, combined with the cold temps, pushed most of the birds out of the area. All but the biggest ponds had a layer of ice and there were very few birds still around as a result. I had to break ice about every hour to keep an open landing area and try to entice whatever was flying to take a look. I managed to scratch out a pair of mallards and my dog found a crippled greenwing leftover from somebody this weekend. That makes me +1 for the season (no losses and 1 found). Unless the temps climb back up, I'm afraid the fat lady is clearing her throat (at least for this area).

Not wanting to waste such a fine day, I took a drive and did a little exploring. The dog and I managed to invite a couple of spruce hens back for dinner also. Not a bad end to a long, cold morning.

what area are you hunting.

I'm hunting a little over an hour from Anchorage. Sorry, but I can't be more specific.

Default Location

I love that...little over an hour,,,,might as well been in another state for that matter...lol..LMAO

Great pics
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK