Thread: need info on a blacktail hunt??????

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default need info on a blacktail hunt??????

I am trying to plan a blacktail hunt for next fall but am running into a problem finding a person to just drop us off and pick us up a couple of days later, or if there is a good place to go on the mainland to get into some. Would like to do a combo deer/griz hunt. I am a resident so i dont need a guide just someone to get us in and out. If you guys have any thought or insight into this subject i would love to hear it. Also is there any good deer hunting down around valdez, heard the bear hunting it second to none down there. Thanks for the help.

For deer and brown bear Kodiak Road system may be an option (depending on if native corp opens hunting up). I here the odds in getting pulled for a remote hunt on Kodiak are pretty good too. You may also want to look into Montegue Island.
    Valdez has great bear hunting but you will be hard pressed to find any deer.

Quote Originally Posted by mac87toy View Post
    I am trying to plan a blacktail hunt for next fall but am running into a problem finding a person to just drop us off and pick us up a couple of days later, or if there is a good place to go on the mainland to get into some. Would like to do a combo deer/griz hunt. I am a resident so i dont need a guide just someone to get us in and out. If you guys have any thought or insight into this subject i would love to hear it. Also is there any good deer hunting down around valdez, heard the bear hunting it second to none down there. Thanks for the help.
    Might help if you mentioned what are you are wanting to hunt first. I am sure you can find an outfitter easily.

would like to hunt griz first but it is not really that important which one comes first. i dont really need an outfitter i just need someone to get me to the place and drop me. I am going to be here at least 4 years so i have time to make the trip a couple of times. thanks for the help

Sorry, I meant to say it might help if you mentioned WHERE you want to hunt. As I said, there are many outftters (pilots) to pick from but first you have to define the area you want to travel to.

oh, i see. i dont really care where it is. I can tayler my planes for anywhere. I just moved to the fairbanks area and am a deer hunter at heart so i would like to add a couple of blacktails to my credit, and i also heard they are good eating. thanks for the help.

See my original post for deer and bear. Once you get drawn for a fall bear tag in Kodiak, talk to Andrew Air. They are highly regarded here on the rock.

thanks for the help everyone. i am leaning more twords going to montugiu island. if anyone know much about it let me know. thanks for the help.