Thread: Which 223?

Default Which 223?

#1 son married a girl from North Dakota! He gets the girl and the old man gets an open invite to murder prairie dogs whenever he feels like making the trip.

I think I'm up to it, so......I need a new prairie dog gun. I have made up my mind that 223 will be the caliber of choice. The question is what gun?

I have narrowed my choices down to a Remington 700VTR, Remington 700LVSF and a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint in the sub MOA version. Which one and why?.....If someone has something other than the three listed then lets hear it...your gonna do it any way and so would I (bolt guns only)! Smile!

Thanks EKC

either of the Remingtons would ring my chimes. Buy the ammo by the case; its cheaper that way. J.

The Vanguard... because it's a Howa action vs the Rem action... and I think you should get the 243... nuff said

I already have a Howa 243 with a Jard trigger. The problem is that the barrel heats up in a hurry. It probably shoots as well as any rifle that I have ever owned as far as a three shot group goes. Subsiquent shots fired open up the group conciderably. Besides I want another two two three! An unopened 8lb keg of 748 sitting in the basement is also a contributing factor!

Take a look at the CZ 527 varminter with the H-S precision stock. Super barrels and very nice set up for reasonable price. It is a heavy barrel and set trigger, not bad on a varminter. You will be pleased with the accuracy. I shot a brace of them here recently, a 204 and a 223. I made about 200 rounds of ammo for each. Both quarter MOA with 10X Leupold and Sierra HPBT's and Berger bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up +1

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Take a look at the CZ 527 varminter with the H-S precision stock. Super barrels and very nice set up for reasonable price. It is a heavy barrel and set trigger, not bad on a varminter. You will be pleased with the accuracy. I shot a brace of them here recently, a 204 and a 223. I made about 200 rounds of ammo for each. Both quarter MOA with 10X Leupold and Sierra HPBT's and Berger bullets.

+1 What he said

The Remington 700 VLS with a Leupold 6X18 VX-II. Shoots like a champ, as long as the bullets are less than 60 grains. My rifle really likes the bulk Cabelas ammo, in the target rich dog towns. I have had mine for several years and have no complaints.

Another vote for the rem 700. If you'll be doing a fair bit of walking, the LVSF, if not the VLS.

If you handload, rem brass, cci-400, H-335 and hornady 50gr v-max.

For accuracy, mild recoil and affordable ammo you just can't beat a good 223.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    The Vanguard... because it's a Howa action vs the Rem action... and I think you should get the 243... nuff said
    ]

I agree with what is said except in 22-250

I figure if you are going to get a new gun then I suggest a HOWA/KNOXX Axiom in a .223. you can order it off the net have it shipped to up here with a 4x16x44 nighteater scope. (dont let a dealer fool you these are only 850 to 900 with shipping.) get yourself a good adjustable swivle type bipod and go have a blast.

Default I'm shooting...

Several rifles now that're chambered to .223 and the like. My favorite is not what you'd expect. It's the CZ 527, but the LUX rifle, European style stock, 1-9" twist, slim 24" barrel. It's a bad day when the gun won't do a half inch or less, but the thin barrel does need to be babied a bit to get that level.
    When the going gets hot and heavy, I pull out the Olympic Arms AR, 22" heavy barrel, 1-9 twist. It's a LOT easier to insert a magazine, let the bolt go forward, and commence to put a lot of red mist in the air.
    I've also got a new Mini-14 stainless synthetic that with the first loads through it, and scoped with a Konus 6-24X40, goes under an inch consistently. Maybe Ruger finally got a few bugs worked out on this one, and may be what I end up going to more and more for the under-200 yard shots.
    I've also recently added an H&R .204 heavy fluted varmint barrel to my Buffalo Classic. That round is showing some REALLY interesting accuracy! Cost for the barrel was $126.00 and shipping installed on my receiver.
    I've also just brought home a stainless H&R .223 Varmint type rifle, but have yet to scope it, but the previous owner showed several 100 yard targets that're sub-moa.
    All-in-all, the one I covet is my best friend's 527 CZ .223 Heavy. Unreal shooter with an incredible trigger. For the money, it's the best I've seen for a long time.
    IF money's not a huge concern, though, best I've seen in a long while is one of the Coopers, and you're going through Montana, anyway, right???

The Remington VLS is a nice rifle. Mine shot very, very well with W748 and 50gr V-Max bullets.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    ...IF money's not a huge concern, though, best I've seen in a long while is one of the Coopers, and you're going through Montana, anyway, right???
    Now there ya go... they are a little spendy, but you will not get a better rifle for the money. !/2 MOA guarantee and most will shoot one hole groups. However, all their varmit rifles are single shots. Call Shedhorn Sports in Ennis MT... they're good folks.

I don't like clip magazines! If I can get over that then I will probably go with the CZ. However I hate clip magazine or did I already say that.

We have a CZ dealer not far from here. I think I'll give him a shout in the A.M. and see if he has one that I can have a gander at. Dang I hate clips!!! The best ones rattle and make the gun seem chincy! However I will give it a go cuz Murphy says so and he ain't steered me wrong yet!

Murphy, I gotta tell ya that clip hanging down in front of the trigger guard makes em look kinda like a m44 mosin with the forearm wacked off.

I'll shoulder one real soon and that is usually the deciding factor! I can get over the fact that they have a clip magazine....I think.

OK, I got egg on my face! Though the dealer didn't have a varminter with the HSP stock he did have a skinny barreled one in walnut. The point is that the clip was pretty solid. It hardly wiggled when I slid the bolt across it.

I didn't buy it because it was priced higher than giraffe balls. He also had a Cz 452 in 17hmr that caught my eye but was also a little steep $ wise. However upon arrival home I ordered one of those little 17's from another vendor.

Hmmmm still need a 223.

A CZ 527 it is. I had to go with the American with a Walnut stock cuz they're purdy. I can always glass the stock/action if need be. The barrel isn't of the varmint variety but its not a buggy whip either as there looks to be plenty of metal around that little hole.

I bought this gun from a dealer on gunbroker for $515.00 and by the time I add shipping I'm still $100 ahead of what the local dealer wanted. The norm for me would be to support the local guy but he didn't want to budge from his $640 price tag. I like him but not that well!

Thanks for the advice guys.....maybe clips ain't so bad!

Bushmaster Predator, or similar rifles from Stag, Remington, RRA or DPMS