Thread: Bow Releases

Default Bow Releases

I have a bow that is a little old and has killed a couple of whitetails. Looking to kill a caribou or two with it. My old release I had bought from Wal-mart in N.C. and have lost it. I was just wondering what is a good release to buy now days? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a release. Thanks

You need to be a little more specific on what kind of release you are looking for. Are you using a string loop and want a release for same? Do you want a release that attaches straight to the serving? Other?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I have no string loop so it would connect directly to the main string.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

go to a bow shop and try some on for size.... take your bow with you...

you can see what you want and shop on line and save A dollor... they range 30-100 bucks just find a new one that fits you... i have 6 releases.... before i found i liked the glove one the best( don't ask who makes it...)

the only thing i can say is make sure it has a strap on it... cause when your jumping up and down your hit is good guess where your release goes.......hope you have a spare..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default options

what you can do is tie a string loop on your bow. and use pretty much anything that you want. any of the caliper styles would work great. i use a "winn free flight" release. its a glove style release and i love it. its all in what feels good.

Default How I selected my release

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    I have a bow that is a little old and has killed a couple of whitetails. Looking to kill a caribou or two with it. My old release I had bought from Wal-mart in N.C. and have lost it. I was just wondering what is a good release to buy now days? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a release. Thanks
    The type of release is such a personal-fit issue; I believe the anyone's perfect release is the one they feel most comfortable with, and little else matters.

I went to a full service bow shop (including range) and tried release after release - and I found one that just feels natural. Ironically it was not the one that I 'wanted to like', but the one that I initially thought was a bit clunky.

I wanted to like the jaws type, even though I was told it will increase wear on your string (or you can make an extra loop for it to grab I think); but it didn't feel right. I ended up liking the 'little loop of rope' kind, and attaching it doesn't feel clunky at all like I was sure it would.

So, try a few before buying one; that's my advice.

The Tru-ball series of releases are very good quality and most of them fall in the $50-$100 range. I have the Tornado model and love it. As stated before though, your best bet is to try them out and go with what works for you. Don't look at the price tag before you try them and you may be surprised when a cheaper model feels better than the "top of the line".
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....