Thread: Win mod 70 Base Plate Screws

Default Win mod 70 Base Plate Screws

I just bought a Win mod 70 classic SS and I would like to now the correct tighting sequence and the number of inch pounds for the base plate screws. The rifle came with the middle screw lose. I would like to get the best accuracy from the rifle.

The action screws on a model 70 should be torqued to 60 inch pounds front then back and the middle 10 to 20 Inch pounds. If walnut stocked without pillers or rail I would not torque a new gun more than 50 In. Lbs.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy is the expert in this area, but I thought I would chime in and say that I replace all of the screws on my Model 70s with hex heads made by B Square. Midway stocks them. You might have to file them down a little, they always seem to be a little too long. They allow you to be a lot more precise on the torque and they wont strip out or 'bugger' up.

Default Inch lbs to foot lbs

I wanted to know that info as well but how do I convert inch lbs to foot lbs, which my torque wrench is graduated in. Is it as easy as dividing by 12 ?

Default Yep.....

Quote Originally Posted by Col M View Post
    I wanted to know that info as well but how do I convert inch lbs to foot lbs, which my torque wrench is graduated in. Is it as easy as dividing by 12 ?
    It's just that simple, however....
    When you get 'round to doing it, bear in mind that your lbs/ft calibrated torque wrench most likely won't give a consistent torque that low in it's range. Even dial or bar types won't do it consistently. Back in the 'Brown-shoe days' when I was a young SAC Trained Killer working on Minuteman and Peacekeeper, our QA folks frowned deeply on using torque wrenches at the extreme ends of their range.
    Torque your screws down, then back them off a half turn, and re-torque if your screws don't bear against pillar blocks.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-02-2008 at 04:29. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Col M View Post

Ah, actually multiply inch pounds by 12 to get foot pounds...or divide inch pounds by twelve to get foot pounds, if that's what you meant, yes.......but a ft lb torgue wrench is not calibrated down to 1 or 2 ft. lbs. You'll need a wrench for the task. Wheeler Engineering has a very reasonably priced inch torque screw driver for about $60 for sale at Midway USA.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?