Thread: 5 Caribou limit off denali Hwy???????

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Exclamation 5 Caribou limit off denali Hwy???????

Okay so yesterday i am talking to my mining partner who tells me his Bother has a permit to get Five bou off Denali Hwy..... i called Bs...I want to see this tag........ as i see nowhere in the regs of that limit or tag... but I do not know the fed subsistence regs..

am i missing something or is something afoul here?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Federal regs.

Federal subsistence regs. say 2 caribou in Unit 13B with a provision that BLM will announce which sex can be taken; and 2 bull caribou in Unit 13E. Both have season dates of Aug. 10-Sept. 30 and Oct. 21 to Mar. 31. You have to get a Federal permit from BLM or NPS.

Maybe the guy has family members with permits also...??

is this just a extension of th teir 2? how do u get one??

Default Tier 2 and federal subsistence

There is 1 caribou for tier 2 and 2 caribou for federal subsistence on federal land. There is no way one person can shoot 5. Maybe his whole family each will hunt or each got a tier 2 tag. I believe that a tier 2 would count against 1 of the federal limit. Therefore no one person can shoot more than 2 caribou in 13.

Default Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    There is 1 caribou for tier 2 and 2 caribou for federal subsistence on federal land. There is no way one person can shoot 5. Maybe his whole family each will hunt or each got a tier 2 tag. I believe that a tier 2 would count against 1 of the federal limit. Therefore no one person can shoot more than 2 caribou in 13.
    <begin sarcasm>
    Maybe depending on the Pt Hope caribou outcome there will be no limits on the Denali Highway...depending on your interpretation and personal beliefs/ethics....
    <end sarcastic comments>

Really, did he mention if we was hunting with family & friends or was he expecting to fill all 5 tags himself? Sounds fishy to me as well. Did he mention if he was hunting on Ahtna lands or Public?

Fuse

can you proxy hunt up there?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Since a resident harvest tag comes with 5 "tags", maybe he's confused and thinks since he has 5 tags, he can take 5 caribou.

Default Potlatch?

Did he sign up for a potlatch hunt?? That's about the only legal way to do this. But I'll bet the previous post about the 5 harvest tickets being incorrectly interpreted as permission to shoot 5 caribou is the situation.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i called my partner back after doing some research on the issue, and even if you qualified for the Fed tag, then you could still only get a maximum of 2 bou... he said he was going to call his brother whom i guess is, well, different.( unalbe to give his accuate description here) to see what he up to on this... and to qualify for the fed tag you have TO live AS A RESIDENT OF that UNIT and hunt only on the Federal land, and you can not get a fed limit and a state limit... I talked to BLM in Glenallen, fairbanks, and ADFG, in TOK and Fairbanks, as well fed. fish and wildlife in Anch... most do not know much on the Federal subsistence regs but Anch was the most helpful...any rate there seems to be no way of getting more then 2 off the Denali. some other units have a higher subsistence limit, but as i mentioned you MUST be a resident of that unit/sub unit...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default TWO

Only 2 caribou, even with state & Fed permits. That all.