Thread: .22 Kimber or Marvel Unit 2?

Question .22 Kimber or Marvel Unit 2?

Looking at some .22LR conversion kits for my 1911 (a Kimber) and was hoping someone here in the Fairbanks area might have either a Marvel Unit 2 or a Kimber (actually a Kimber not the Ceiner).that they would be willing to meet at the range and let me look at and perhaps fire in exchange for some free ammo and perhaps lunch. If nothing else, I would love to hear some feedback on these two systems.

Thanks in advance

I have the kimber 22 kit on my kimber TLE/RL and it has functioned flawlessly for over a 1000 rounds. It is very accurate and seems to like cci minimags.

i run the Ceiner kit and it works good for the money..

Ray
    Semper Fi!

While zeroing another firearm, i brought along my S&W 1911 PD and the Kimber .22 conversion. After shooting my other gun, While I was waiting for the firing line to go "cold", I would shoot the .22 1911 at the same 12" Shoot-N-C that i was trying to zero on at 100 yards.(Didn't have to worry about trying to tell the difference between holes in paper, as the other gun was a .454 revolver.)
    I was shooting the .22 offhand, at 100 yards, trying to see if i could make a group. ( I could hear the rounds hitting the box, but couldn't see from that far away.) So, long story short, after shooting 20 rounds at the 12" target, I was very pleasently surprised to find 20 little holes centered around the bulls, in about a 10" ot 11" group. Not bad for offhand at 100 yards, with a open sighted pistol.
    The only problem I had with the conversion was when it was new, the slide was very tight on the frame, and reliability was poor. Lots of FTF. After about 500 rounds (which only cost $14) the slide wore in and reliability is almost 100% now. Although, i have to shoot high velocity .22s for the slide to move fast enough.
    I hope this helped.

I have a Marvel. Had some trouble with two mags fitting, but the factory replaced those. Works very good and is very accurate.

Another shooting buddy of mine reports the same.

Slide does not stay open on last shot by design.

Default Thanks

Based on what I have heard here and from a ton of other research I have decided that I am going for a Marvel Unit 2... I love the looks of the Kimber by far, but from what I hear the quality and customer service/options available for the Marvel beat the Kimber by a significant percentage. Probably my biggest concern about the Kimber is the lack of a steel breachface and not being able to cycle most standard velocity ammo - whereas the Marvel Unit 2 has good reviews for being able to digest all but the cheapest ammo...

Thanks to all on this forum for the helpful information, it is much appreciated!

Limetrude

4 years later and I'm facing the same choice. I'm also leaning towards Marvel Unit 2 over Unit 1 and/or Kimber kit. Any advice?

Shop around and pick up an orginal colt conversion kit. All steel and a hoot to shoot with the additional recoil from the floating chamber. Both my units shoot well but you do have to clean them occasionally but they are .22s.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've owned multiple kimber .22 conversions and they generally run great as long as they're kept lubed. Never personally tried the Marvel but have heard and read excellent things that they are supposed to surpass both kimber and ceiner. It's a bit more money but worth a look.