Thread: Any reports from Whittier ?

Default Any reports from Whittier ?

I would love to go fish silvers from the shore in Whittier but have not heard any reports of any fish yet. Has anyone been down there ? Hate to spend the time/money for nothing. Seems like it's almost too late....are those stocked fish ? did F&G not do it 3/4 years ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by cochie View Post
    I would love to go fish silvers from the shore in Whittier but have not heard any reports of any fish yet. Has anyone been down there ? Hate to spend the time/money for nothing. Seems like it's almost too late....are those stocked fish ? did F&G not do it 3/4 years ago ?
    I was in whittier sunday afternoon to drag my boat home for the season. I stopped by the harbor to check out the new ramp progress, looks like it will be a 2 lane and a 1 lane ramp going in. All thats done is the top concrete work of the ramp, it looks good to me. I didn't see any fish in the harbor jumping and i'm thinking it is too late, its over. By the way you can thank the gillnetters and seiners that fish PWS for stocking those silvers for you, they are put there by the Prince William Sound Aquaculture Association. and not by Fish and Game.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I was there this morning and got two. The harbor is empty of fish but the creeks have a few ranging from nearly silver to red. Spent the whole day in waders chasing a pod of about ten fish around the cove. A lot of work but better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    By the way you can thank the gillnetters and seiners that fish PWS for stocking those silvers for you, they are put there by the Prince William Sound Aquaculture Association. and not by Fish and Game.

Thank you? There was no fish there this year.. Are you on the stocking program on odd years?

Lets hope next year will be better then this year for all salmon
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The harbormaster told me last week that the fish were on schedule until the storm fronts came and then they just vanished. I wonder if many of them just turned back for another year at sea. I'm sure the construction didn't help much either.

The commfisherman clean up in PWS thanks to the stocking programs...the sport catch is just a bonus. I'm thankful the fish are there at all, and thankful they keep the Valdez area closed to the commfish guys until after Labor Day weekend...that way everyone gets maximum benefit from the resource.

Default Whittier

I was there Sunday, few fish around, head of the bay, Smitties and Salmon river 1, they are hard to get, saw 1 guy get one by eggs rest by snagging, from what I caught 5 and others I'd say 12 were caught.

Quote Originally Posted by chamai59 View Post
    I was there Sunday, few fish around, head of the bay, Smitties and Salmon river 1, they are hard to get, saw 1 guy get one by eggs rest by snagging, from what I caught 5 and others I'd say 12 were caught.
    Are you saying you caught five silvers on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    The commfisherman clean up in PWS thanks to the stocking programs...the sport catch is just a bonus. I'm thankful the fish are there at all, and thankful they keep the Valdez area closed to the commfish guys until after Labor Day weekend...that way everyone gets maximum benefit from the resource.
    Yup we sure do clean up!! but we pay a percentage of our earnings to PWSAC to make more fish for us and for you, so how much do you pay to PWSAC??? i already know the answer, absolutly nothing !!
    By the way the Valdez fishery is run by another hatchery corp. and that is also funded by commercial fishermen.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yup we sure do clean up!! but we pay a percentage of our earnings to PWSAC to make more fish for us and for you, so how much do you pay to PWSAC??? i already know the answer, absolutly nothing !!
    By the way the Valdez fishery is run by another hatchery corp. and that is also funded by commercial fishermen.
    I was giving you guys (commercial fisherman) credit for the stocking programs !! Did you not get that !! Maybe I should have used more exclamation marks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am genuinely glad for you and PWSAC giving us fish !!! And no, I don't pay PWSAC for it, but unlike you, I don't PROFIT from it, either !!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough???

Default back on topic

AOJ is reporting that there are fish from the beaches....can anyone confirm??

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    AOJ is reporting that there are fish from the beaches....can anyone confirm??
    Yeah, I saw that too and got all excited...I love fall fishing for silvers there if the weather isn't horrible. Saturday looks like the first decent shot...we've got a storm coming through and high wind warnings, snow and rain. If I can, I'll get down there and give it a shot, though

Default Whittier

There were some big schools this last Sunday, upto 50 that I saw, very hard to get though, they were big and bright then, I would say there we 3 maybe 4 schools around, perhaps by now they are calmed down enough to catch, caught 3 Sat and 3 Sun, lots of Work, all at Salmon River 1, heard there were fish at the head of bay, never looked though.

Chamai, were there many boats out, and how were they doing.

Hmmm, it wouldnt take much to yank the boat out from under the canopy I put up for the winter......

Default Whitters dead 10-11-08

Did not see one fish anywhere today, they may have gone deep, don't know, all I know is I looked everywhere today and did not see anything.

Default Anybody been there

Has anyone been to Whittier this week? Any reports? Week of October 13-17

Default last weekend

I think that the report on AOJ is bogus (last week's)....some friends went down and there is no salmon in, divers said no salmon in, noone is fishing, no fish jumping, - make your own conclusions!