Thread: Anyone with real world Nosler accubond experience?

Default Anyone with real world Nosler accubond experience?

Thinking of trying the 225gr in the 358 Norma mag. for an all around load. Everything brom blackbear to moose to the incidental "oh crap" brownie in the alders.
    Looking for folks that have actually used them, especially on heavier animals & what your results were.
    Something else you would recomend?

(this is cross posted in the hunting forum because it fit both & I wasn't sure where I'd get the best responce.)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I've only used them a couple of times on game- both deer- so I'm not sure how much help I can offer. It's worth noting that both were lung shots, though one was at about 25 yards and the other was somewhere between 350 and 375. Full penetration and dead deer on both counts, so who can argue with that.

I've used and loved partitions long enough to have high faith in your choice of the 225 in your Norma for the uses you plan. Others might work as well, but it's hard to imagine how anyone could measure "better."

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

I've used and loved partitions long enough to have high faith in your choice of the 225 in your Norma for the uses you plan. Others might work as well, but it's hard to imagine how anyone could measure "better."
    Thanks.
    Are you saying you would have faith in the Accubond or the Partition?
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Accubond

My experiance with the Accubond is limited to the 225 gr .338 variaty. I really like the accuracy that can be obtained with them, however I have had trouble with the poly tip breaking off when they are in the magazine. I have shot several moose with them and can not find fault with their performance on game, they mushroom well throughout the entire velocity range. Due to the broken tip problems I have experianced I switched to Barnes as my go to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Thanks.
    Are you saying you would have faith in the Accubond or the Partition?
    I'd use either happily. My only experience with Noslers in my 35 Whelen, my 358 Winnies has been Paritions. My Norma went down the road (to my great regret) before 35 cal Noslers were available. But based on what little I've used the Accubonds, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in 35 cal. It's just going to have to wait till I burn through the 500 or so 35 cal partitions I still have on hand.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    From what I've seen reported here & in the hunting forum, it sounds like they are pretty good on caribou & lighter game, but the performance gets spotty on anything larger.
    Guess I'll probably try Partitions or the TSX.
    Vance in AK.

Default I'll second the notion of Partitions...

As it regards to a balance of penetration, expansion and bullet toughness I can vouch for the integrity of the Nosler Partition. This spring I put one right through a black bear at 30 FEET. This shot was made with the 120gr Partition exiting at 3320fps from my .257 Wby Mag. It went through a single rib on the entry side, blew out the heart and lungs, passed through the rib meat, and hit the humerus (upper arm) bone, shattering it into eight pieces, then exited the arm bone and kept on trucking through the bushes. Thank goodness that I was at 1750feet of elevation and nowhere NEAR another human soul. The bear was shot while loping along and he folded into a bundle without twitching. The fact that a bullet traveling along at 3300fps didn't blow up and penetrated right through that bear has me a believer in the Nosler Partition. I can't believe that this performance would have been bettered by any other premium bullet. With that said ensure that you are confident about YOUR ammo in YOUR rifle. The Barnes TSX is another fine bullet and there is always the Kodiak Bonded or Swift A-frame (much like the Partition). These are likely all good bullets for your intended purpose.

IceKing02