Thread: Anyone used Accubonds on heavy animals?

Default Anyone used Accubonds on heavy animals?

Thinking of trying the 225gr in the 358 Norma mag. for an all around load. Everything brom blackbear to moose to the incidental "oh crap" brownie in the alders.
    Looking for folks that have actually used them, especially on heavier animals & what your results were.
    Something else you would recomend?
    (cross posted to reloading forum because I wasn't sure wher it would get the most response.)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default my experience

I used 225 gr accubonds on my trip to Africa two years ago to take six animals at between 100-200 yards. On the smaller suff like Blesbok and Heartbeast the bullets punched right through making good wound channels. On the bigger stuff like Kudu and Wildebeast we recovered bullets that for the most part has mushroomed nicely and retained 60-70% weight. However, if heavy bone was hit the Accubonds broke up we found only fragments. Nevertheless, only one critter required more than a single shot to put it down. I continue to use the Accubonds here in Alaska but if I go back to Africa for Cape buffalo I will load a sturdier bullet like an A-frame or a Barnes X.

Default Should work fine

Just watched my father in law take down a 64" moose in Kotzebue on the 20th using my 338 loaded with Federal Premiums tipped with 225gr Accubonds. Slugs really penetrated well and held together better than I thought they would--we recovered two slugs. Really did the trick.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I used 180gr accubonds in 300 win mag on my 2 bou this year. I made 3 shots on 2 animals. The first bou I shot struck a rib, took about 4 inches of that rib and the bullet fragmented in the chest cavity. The second shot on that animal was just a few seconds later and also hit a rib with the same results. Distance was 125 yds. On the second bou the bulled passed through hitting no bone, left about a 1" exit wound. The bullet entered between ribs, passed through the chest cavity exiting between ribs through the front quarter. Distance was 225 yards. I was going to make this my only hunting round but I'm not very impressed with the performance when the bullet hit bone so I going to to back to Nosler Partitions for now. YMMV

Thumbs up Accubonds

I Shot a 56" bull moose with 225 GR Accubonds from a 338 Win Mag at 200 yards this fall (2800 FPS muzzle velocity hand loads). Two shots - first through the lungs (nice mushroom under the hide on the off side, 3" entry hole when bullet struck rib bone), second shot through lungs and lower spine (smaller mushroom on off side about 50% weight retention). Moose took 4 steps before going down. Great bullet, jury's still out on heavy bone though.

Also, same setup (338, 225 gr Accubond) shot through two bull caribou and was in the hide on the far side of the second (bull #2 was already hit in the lungs and waiting to expire by my wife who was shooting next to me). I'll add pictures of recovered bullets when I get a chance.

Heaviest animal shot was an elk and the Accubond performed great. One shot in the shoulder and the elk dropped. I am shooting a 300 win mag w/ 180 grain accubonds.
    Shot a caribou last year @ 190 yrds through the shoulder. Complete pass through, caribou dropped.
    I've shot several mule deer w/ them and no problems except for 1. First shot was behind the shoulder, deer went down and got up. Second shot was in the shoulder and the bullet fragged. Part of it actually went up the neck and came out between the eyes.

Smile I've used 260 gr. Accubonds

out of my 375H&H on two caribou, had one exit and the other was found in the far side hide after crunching the scapula. The exit one stood and did and incredible bleed out right before my eyes and the non-exit one went down like a ton of bricks. I guess all said, I would prefer something that big to always leave an exit on a medium sized caribou so in my opinion I will always go to something bigger and better (300gr. A-Frames)for moose from now on. I'll still use the Accubonds for bou if I use the 375 instead of my 270.

Used 160 gr. Accubonds on our moose hunt 2 weeks ago in my .280 and took a nice 51" bull @ 140 yards. 1 shot, went about 12 feet. Done. Found the perfectly mushroomed bullet on the far side between the ribs and hide. I'm sold on them, except now Federal has stopped using them in the 160gr for the .280

My partner uses Accubonds in his 338 and does well with them but they seem a bit thin skinned to my liking.....just a bit.....lung shots can be accomplished with almost any bullet but if that big bull moose doesn't go down and is escaping into the spruce and you have to kill him from the back end, I like to have a sturdier bullet.....have had great luck with TBBCs.

Default clarification

Just wondering if you are talking about the Winchester accubond loads or some other load, I've only had experience with the Winchester loads and I've had good experiences; haven't had an animal take one step after being shot with 180 grains from a .300 win. mag. several caribou and deer and one black bear this year.

Default 260 gr Accubond

I shot a Grizz, Wolf and Caribou this year with this load out of my 375 H&H. Of course, pass through on the wolf with huge exit, but on the Caribou and Bear, no exits. However, on both animals, internals were like jello. My friend was using Barnes Triple shocks out of a 338, shot same 3 animals, all pass throughs. I'll shoot the TSX from now on.

Default accubonds, partitions

i've used the accubonds on caribou and was dissapointed in the penetration, more of an explode on impact bullet, causes mass damage going in, but not so much from the center out. I havnt lost any animals yet, but I went back to the partitions. Shoulda just stuck with what's always worked well. would also reccomend the swift a-frames
    Justin

Thanks for all the help guys.
    From what I've seen reported, it sounds like they are pretty good on caribou & lighter game, but the performance gets spotty on anything larger.
    Guess I'll probably try Partitions or the TSX

VarnAK, I have to plead ignorance & ask what are "TBBCs"??
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

From what I have been reading and hearing, you cant go wrong with the TSX bullets. I have not personally killed anything with them yet, but I am going to try them as soon as I get an oppurtunity.

Vance, TBBC's are Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I'm having a brain fart, but think they're made by Speer. They're a bonded copper jacket, lead core design, but believe the jackets and base are fairly thick. From what I've heard, they tend to stay together quite well and retain a lot of mass.

I've shot several moose, a caribou, and a few blacktails with the .308 200 gr Accubond from a 30-'06. All died promptly, zero complaints on bullet performance. I would not choose them for a dedicated brown bear hunt, but for anything else in Alaska, I would not hesitate to use them (as long as my selected gun shot them well).

Chris

225-grain Swift A-Frame is where it's at for the 358 Norma Mag. Hits like the hammer of Thor. Bears don't like it. Plus, hovering around 3k fps ain't a bad thing.