Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My kenai river report

Thumbs up My kenai river report

Well got down to the river 2 weeks ago. Holy Moly. It was flowing high and fast like it was june. Either way I was there and it was time to fish for two weeks. Fishing was good not great. The fish were a bit hard to find but overall the fishing was good and the weather was great. Only rained 2 days on the water. The rest was the good old rain at night when the sleeping is good. To all of those who stopped by camp. Drifter016 (dave). Thanks for the halibut dinner and all the stories. Mike from homer and his dog bud. If you ever see a 100lb golden resting on the pontoon of a 1 man cat say hi to mike and bud. To the canucks, you are some beer drinking silver chasing fools. To all my alaska friends thanks for the great laughs, lies, stories and fun. Last but not least. John (aka johnswa from here) Man you beat the water every day. You fished, lied, drank beer and hung with the best we have. You have a seat in my boat anytime. Ok Im going to share a few pics here then load the rest into kodak later today and I will share the link
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 11-19-2008 at 20:27.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs up more pics

another set

Default more pics

another set

Default last one

ok the last set for now

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Fishing was good not great.
    I can't help but notice the connection between the term "good, not great" and the Bills hat that you're wearing. That term could describe the Bills' history, particularly around the Jim Kelly/Thurmon Thomas era. Good....not great.

Default Nice!

Looks like you had a great trip. I noticed the leaves are just starting to change color, that must be nice. Great looking Fish!

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default here is the link

to my kodak gallery hope it works

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...9144662&page=1

Ak Chuck.
    very nice, great picture, those bows are fat, did you try any flesh fly’s or was it a bit to early? So anyway what was hot?

Default Thanks for sharing

That looks like a blast. Nothing better than camping, fishing and drinking with good people. I'm jelous

Chuck
    Why did you let Ricky hold all the big ones for the pics???
    I made it home this morning after a 35 hour drive. Back to work on Wednesday. I'll put together my report soon.........there you've been warned!!!

Beads were on early untill the middle of last week. Then I was using flesh flies. The pigs my buddy ricky is holding were caught on a cone head dali lama. He would just work them in the cut lines behind the reds and man did he catch some big ones

I'm thinking of headed down there this weekend for the last trip of the year. If the fishings good I may do it again though. Any thoughts on that? Think with the water dropping will the fishing get better? Or do you think the high water has washed out most of the eggs/flesh? If not, I may try up north somewhere.

Friday and saturday were very very slow. I threw flesh and beads and leeches both days and it was slim pickings. The water level has dropped alot but I have had great success in the low water levels before at this time of the year. The one thing is that is was bright sunny weather on friday and saturday. Then again usually i do well on those days too. The one thing I did not have was any articulating flesh flies on friday or saturday. They worked great for me on thursday. I lost them both though on thursday. If you can get some I suggest them. There are alot of carcasses in the water now and Im guessing with the temps and water dropping some of the fish are rolling into the canyon and hanging out where it dumps into skilak and just living on the hog buffet line flowing through there. Other than friday and sat being slow it was a great trip. Ill be there again next year on the 14th of september for another 2 weeks of fun. Id keep checking in here too and see i there are any updates before the weekend hits. Im going down next weekend or another try

hey thanks for the reply chuck. If I can get another boat I'll be headed down there this weekend. If not I'll try to fish anywhere i can. I just haven't had much free time this summer until now. It will be good just to get a line wet. Possibly the russian but i think its a little to late for bows there. The last few years were like that anyway.

The russian was very very slow. There were a few people fishing it while I was there with very few fish caught.

Folks, I just have to give a shout out for Chuck! What a great guy!! I took my wife up on a cruise, but she had to let me fish the Russian and Homer to seal the deal. I've posted this before, but Chuck gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I had any questions.

Yup... I called him! I was your typical lost tourist and Chuck saved the day more times than I could count!! I finally had the honor to meet Chuck and June at his favorite restaurant and was more than happy to pick up the tab for his kind hospitality over the phone and internet!

After dinner and a few (or more) adult beverages, Chuck broke out the laptop and proceeded to show me the amazing dollies and bows he caught on the Kenai. I was blown away from the size of these monsters, but even more blown away from his invitation to float the river with him!!! Of course I said yes, and needless to say, I'm ruined! I feel like a junkie that needs a fix and will be there next year for "Fishapalooza 09"!

Here's just a few pics of my unbelievable trip on the Kenai.

I forgot to mention Benny, Ricky, Todd, Scott, Dave, Mike (and Bud) and Rich! You guys are awesome and a great group of guys to camp/fish/swap lies with! I know I missed a few names, but I hope to see y'all next year and maybe, just maybe I'll know how to set a hook this time! LOL!

One last thing I forgot to mention. Benny is the ultimate camp cook! If you ever get a chance to meet him in camp, you won't go hungry and you'll be amazed by his steaks, seafood, and his OMG Chicken Wings!

Thanks again, Benny! You're awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    One last thing I forgot to mention. Benny is the ultimate camp cook! If you ever get a chance to meet him in camp, you won't go hungry and you'll be amazed by his steaks, seafood, and his OMG Chicken Wings!

Thanks again, Benny! You're awesome!!!
    Just not for breakfast!!!

Default benny

that guy can cook. that cedar pallet filet had us eating like KINGS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast