Thread: Matanuska lake monster

Default Matanuska lake monster

I took the kids to Matanuska lake and Bradley lake today. We started at Bradley and caught a couple trout one maybe 14".

Then we moved to Matanuska lake and caught a few little ones that we let go. While we were fishing this behemoth rainbow swam by us and turned around and swam back in front of us again. The thing had to be 28" I would say 7 or 8 pounds easy. By far the largest rainbow I have seen in a lake in Alaska anyways. I saw a 10 pounder in a lake known for Pike in Montana. I know I have seen 5 pounders in Kepler,South Rolly and Eska(slipper) lakes but this one was much larger.

Of course it had no interest in what we were using but it was exciting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Those lakes all have really big fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I think those are all stocked lakes, and F&G usually throws a few really big ones in for a lucky person to catch, too. Could just be a long-lived fish...hard to say.

One thing I've seen a lot of people do is mistake suckers for large rainbows, and then wonder why they can't get them to bite on anything.

what lakes are not stocked around anchorage / wasilla / palmer area?
    Semper Fi!

Those lakes are really deep and have a lot of food, long lake is only stocked with fingerling and it grows really big fish... Of course the odd broodstock they throw in every year helps. So its both in most lakes out there long lived fish are the big ones but also theres a few broodstock they put in. Most of the lakes in Anchorage that are stocked the big ones are purely brood stock because most lakes in Anchorage winterkill

I got a close up view of the Rainbow. It was only 10' away in 18" of water. Saw the red of his cheeks. I think it was smiling as it went by.

Default Matanuska lake monster

The Matanuska lake monster still lives. I'm shore it's a new fish but I saw the same size rainbow about six years ago. It was late fall and I had to chip a hole at the end of the dock to fish. I saw it swim by the hole and I nearly had a hart attack. I went back every weekend for the whole winter. I saw it several times but did not catch it. I did catch some nice fish though several over twenty inches but this one was closer to 30 + and definitely not a sucker. It came by one day and tapped my friends egg with it's nose than swam offl; thats the closed I got to catching it and it was not even my hook. The Vally lakes get bigger fish. I don't know If it's less prusher, less pollution, warmer water in the summer, butter food or a combination of all. One possibility that I came up with is that in the Vally not as many fish are stocked; less fish more food thus bigger fish.

A few years ago in Matanuska I saw a guy pull one through the ice that was about 5 pounds @ 24". He was jigging a big crocodile like you would for Char in Big Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    The Matanuska lake monster still lives. I'm shore it's a new fish but I saw the same size rainbow about six years ago. It was late fall and I had to chip a hole at the end of the dock to fish. I saw it swim by the hole and I nearly had a hart attack. I went back every weekend for the whole winter. I saw it several times but did not catch it. I did catch some nice fish though several over twenty inches but this one was closer to 30 + and definitely not a sucker. It came by one day and tapped my friends egg with it's nose than swam offl; thats the closed I got to catching it and it was not even my hook. The Vally lakes get bigger fish. I don't know If it's less prusher, less pollution, warmer water in the summer, butter food or a combination of all. One possibility that I came up with is that in the Vally not as many fish are stocked; less fish more food thus bigger fish.
    Lakes are deeper and they have more food... Really all those lakes are really really deep

I have pulled several 24"-26" Dollies out of Matanuska as well as a few 20+ Rainbows. Lots of hours on the ice for those guys, but worth the hard work. I only fish it through the ice, haven't been on it thawed in a long time.

I knew the guy that worked the public use on Kepler/Bradley 5 or 6 years back and have seen some 26" - 28" Rainbows he has pulled out of there, big fatties too. They tasted pretty good also.

I can verify with the reports of large fish in Mat. Lake. Every spring when the kids release their salmon fry from the local schools, numerous large fish show up in a matter of minutes. ADF&G also stocks 6-8 inchers at the same time. I've watched many bows and char over 26 inches come right up to the bank chasing the newly stocked fry and trout. There's nothing like watching an 8 inch trout get devoured in one gulp. The biggest I've seen down there is in the 28-29 inch range. Trust me, I know my fish better than most and have caught many large bows in AK through the years. The arctic char I saw was 25-26 inches. ADF&G does not put the old brood stock in Mat. Lake. Those are all well fed monsters!

I've caught several large char but only seen the large bows in Mat lake. However depth is not the only factor; I've caught four bows over 26 inches in Vally lakes. All of them came from lakes that were smaller than 60 acres and less than 20 feet deep. I found that lakes with snails grow bigger fish, but if there is to much competition for food the fish don't grow.

Default Matanuska Monsters

A little RB from Matanuska in the fall.
    Caught a couple more that year.
    Just keep the line wet.

Image002.jpg

Default another fish story...

a couple of years ago, just after ice out i was fishing with my brother and son off the dock at jewell lake. it was a nice day, we were hooking into a bunch of small trout and my son was having a ball. i decided to switch to a mepps spinner to see if i could get some more strikes. about my third cast, i thought i had snagged the bottom but this fish leaped from the water and gave me the fight of my life. i got it to shore and we were woopin and hollerin at the size of this dolly. i swear this thing had to be pushin 8lbs or so. when i got home i was on the phone trying to get info on how to prepare it so i could get it mounted. the next day i came home from work and my family was just sitting down to dinner. lo and behold the was my trophy fish fresh from the oven. man talk about mad!!

Default big fish

Check out the fish at the bottom of the page. http://daveoutsideinalaska.blogspot.com/I've caught three other bows around that size and on that was twenty eight inches but skinny. I'm waiting for the rainbow that is 30 inches or over, than I can call my fishing life complete.

Tonights fun.

The big one was dead in the water right off shore I drug it in to get the pic.16-18" Char.

The kids caught some smaller ones though. I through everything in the box at them but only caught some babies.

I think some of these fish were just stocked as there were a hundred more fish there today as compared to Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images