Thread: Point MacKenzie

Default Point MacKenzie

Does ayone have any wisdom for hunting Point MacKenzie? I did a search through the forum and couldn't find anything on it. From the looks of some aerial shots I have of the area it looks like serious waterfowl territory. Pot holes everywhere and some farmland. Took a drive up there and saw some high flyers by burma landing. There's got to be some great duck hunting up there. Anyone have any advice?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

A lot of those ponds have no vegetation in them to support invertibrates or provide food for the birds. No food = no birds. Much of the tundra ponds in the area are too acidic due to the tanins to support the types of aquatic life that would benefit a duck.

I think the best way to scout the area is to go in the summer just after the hatch. The hens will not be raising the ducklings in an area without food for them. You find those ponds in the summer and in the fall the birds will still be around eating. You are going to be looking for something with water flowing through it.

Thanks for the info Ray. What about the ponds adjacent to those farm fields? I'm gonna go up there this weekend and do a lot more scouting.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"