Thread: Chatanika Spearfishing

Default Chatanika Spearfishing

Anyone else having fun? The wife and I went out with spears and lanterns and got 3 saturday night.

Is that legal? Last I knew they stopped letting people do that 10 years ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Reopened

ADFG just opened it up again last year. This year there was 200 personal use permits issued. Season limit is 10 whitefish per household - season is Sept 26- Oct 26.

Huh?

What are you fishing for, pike?

Are you shooting them from a boat? Or, are you underwater, scuba/snorkel?

I have done some spear fishing in Hawaii (with a sling), never had success, I kind of sucked. A few weeks ago, while trying to butterup the wife, I went garage-sailing and found a sweet spear gun. I've been killin' the plastic trash cans outside of my house but was wondering about the "legal" issues of taking it in the ocean or rivers.

We have some coastal property in remote Kodiak, next to a freshwater stream. Rockfish, salmon, even halibut are pretty shallow. I have snorkeled/swam in Kodiak, so I know the water is doable. Does anyone know about fresh water or salt water regulations. I looked at the regulations but got a little confused??? I also saw there was a spear fishing club in Anchorage, but I'm not into that kind of thing.

Fishing for whitefish ( http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...h/whitfish.php ). One stands out in the water in their hip/chest waders with a spear similar to a frog gig in one hand and a lantern in the other. When a fish swims by, you stab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    Huh?

What are you fishing for, pike?

Are you shooting them from a boat? Or, are you underwater, scuba/snorkel?

I have done some spear fishing in Hawaii (with a sling), never had success, I kind of sucked. A few weeks ago, while trying to butterup the wife, I went garage-sailing and found a sweet spear gun. I've been killin' the plastic trash cans outside of my house but was wondering about the "legal" issues of taking it in the ocean or rivers.

We have some coastal property in remote Kodiak, next to a freshwater stream. Rockfish, salmon, even halibut are pretty shallow. I have snorkeled/swam in Kodiak, so I know the water is doable. Does anyone know about fresh water or salt water regulations. I looked at the regulations but got a little confused??? I also saw there was a spear fishing club in Anchorage, but I'm not into that kind of thing.
    you can take fish by spear in saltwater if you are fully submerged
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    you can take fish by spear in saltwater if you are fully submerged
    Yep... we spearfish for lings and salmon all the time here in SE. Same limits as rod/reel fishing...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]